• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noob putter\ bag questions

KnightsDG

Par Member
Pretty new player here still trying to figure out my bag I already went through my buying spree and have found some discs that I love and a few I still need to figure out.

Drivers I use a Pro Leopard and Champ Leopard. These are the only discs I throw off the tee and love them. It has really helped my drives by throwing only this same mold I feel like I am really starting to figure it out.

Midrange I use a Comet for longer range stuff with a high ceiling and for shorter and tighter shots I go with a good ol' Dx Shark. I don't really like the Comet and plan on getting a shark3 to replace it. I love my Dx Shark it is my most accurate disc.

Putting I have a SSS Wizard and use it but I don't really like it that much it seems like its to flimsy both in my hand and in the air. For a while I liked my Wizard but I found after my putting got better I just didn't have a good feel for it. I have recently been putting with my Shark and I am actually doing pretty well with it. Anyone got any suggestions?

You're bag is perfect for your skill level, don't change a thing. A far as the Wizard goes, what didn't you like about it? In what way do you "not have a feel for it"?

Magic is probably a better putter mold for a new player. I like SS Organics and Erasers.

Putters are all about feel, more or less.

If you like the grip of the SSS Wizard but do not like how floppy the discs feels, try a SS or Soft One.

If you don't like either, you're looking at a different plastic and a different mold. I don't like Wizards because their rim height is much higher than I am accustomed to (e.g. Wizards have a rim height of 1.8 cm, Aviars are at 1.5 cm, and Rhynos and Pures at 1.3 cm), so perhaps that your issue.

Edit - as many have said, your bag is great for a beginner. I'd grab an Aviar - JK, KC, Yeti or DX - and go for it.

If you like Wizards, you'll like the Ion, and KC Pro (Big Bead) Aviar. They are pretty much the same disc from three manufacturers. It just comes down to feel, and plastic type.

I used a Shark as a beginner and I still do! I've putted with a P&A Aviar since day 1 and I've never tried another putter. Also, the McPro Aviars (the same mold) are pretty nice, too.

My suggestion is go buy a speed 10 driver. A leopard is a midrange nowadays. You may listen to some people on here who want you to throw only wickedly slow discs but there is nothing wrong with using a distance driver, and as long as you keep using mids as well you won't develop bad form. The disc I would go with is the Orc in your situation.

Now if you only play an open course that's longest hole is 300ft then nevermind, but if you play a real course or plan on playing a real course u will need many more discs.

Last edited:
Yeah, if you like the feel of the Wizard in your hand, but don't like the floppies of SSS, just pick up a couple firmer ones to try out. Try making a trade in the marketplace if you want to save some money.

If it feels floppy in your hand due to a grip issue or comfort issue try a putter without the big bead. Many to choose from and many threads on low profile putters and headless putters out there. Good luck.

I use my DX Shark a lot as well and love it. I was having trouble keeping the original drivers I bought (DX Leopard and DX Beast) consistently in the fairway so I grabbed a Z Line Glide and have loved it. I use a Pro D Magnet for a putter as well as a Medium Warlock and am having the same "whim" as you by wanted to get something different.

Putter is about feel. Try to head out to your local disc store and pick up a bunch of putters and handle them to see what feels good in your hand.

If you like the feel of the shark better than your wizard you may want to try an xd or classic roc. They are putters that have a low profile so will feel more like your shark for putting

Good advice and thanks everyone. I decided to head over to the Disc Golf Center (as always I got the best service) to check out a couple of the putters mentioned here and I really liked the way the KC Pro Aviar felt. I also liked the Magnet but the KC Aviar's firmness won me over. I already got to throw it for an hour or so and really like it. It seems like no matter how bad I messup this disc will still preform fairly well. It was rare though that I felt myself releasing this disc funky as it fits my grip really well. Not sure how well it is from close range yet but so far it holds the same line putt after putt.

On a side note someone needs to scoop up this really sweet 180g Blue Shark3 they have, the stamp is like American flag Red White and Blue. I would have bought it but it was 180g and I know I would have never thrown it.