• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

I have a few Organic's and they are really sticky and firm. I cant stand a putter that is not firm. I use KC Pro's all year. If I were to use a GW it would be an Organic Wizard.

Ahh see I don't like a firm putter. I use Soft Magnets and even those get too firm in the winter.

Last edited:
Ahh see I don't like a firm putter. I use Soft Magnets and even those get too firm in the winter.

Just to add to what Mashnut said, I happen to really like Gateway's RFF plastic. It's very grippy, but not crazy flexible. It's not floppy at all. I don't use it for putting though, because it's so grippy it kind of sticks to your fingers on putts.

I don't live in the cold though, so where you are they might be perfect.

Just to add to what Mashnut said, I happen to really like Gateway's RFF plastic. It's very grippy, but not crazy flexible. It's not floppy at all. I don't use it for putting though, because it's so grippy it kind of sticks to your fingers on putts.

I don't live in the cold though, so where you are they might be perfect.

I think that's the one I am going to go with. If I don't like it I can give it away or sell it.

You should have no problem selling it, Gateway just said they're not running RFF again for a while and it's been really popular. It can get a little floppy in really hot weather, but it's fantastic in cool or cold weather with great grip and just enough flex.

You should have no problem selling it, Gateway just said they're not running RFF again for a while and it's been really popular. It can get a little floppy in really hot weather, but it's fantastic in cool or cold weather with great grip and just enough flex.

Yea I bet they get real floppy. If they're anything like my Soft Magnets they will end up like a Salvador Dali painting :p

I couldn't find an answer to this so im asking here. What makes a Huk lab Trifly disc so expensive? I have seen discs with that dye cost almost twice what they are originally worth.

because people are smart enough to pay twice the price. plain and simple. if noone buys it at a high price, thwy wont be sold at a high price.

Desire!

I couldn't find an answer to this so im asking here. What makes a Huk lab Trifly disc so expensive? I have seen discs with that dye cost almost twice what they are originally worth.
They look cool! Seriously that is all it's about!
Do I need that disc? No!
Do I want/desire that disc? Yes!!

I got a few questions I am hoping someone can answer. I throw RHBH and have only been throwing from the pec as to get a good form down, I was reading something on Innova's site that said I should be turning my writs up so my palm is up when releasing. I tried this and it seemed to flatten out my throws some just wondering if that's part of proper form.

I know grip can be more of a personal choice but I have been using the fork grip that Ken Climo uses as it feels more comfortable for me, will this eventually cost me some distance? Should I practice the power grip for drives?

IM(underinformed)O, keeping your palm facing the ground after release will give you more accuracy and a flatter release. I'm at work and can't throw right now, but it seems to me like turning your wrist to open your palm to the sky would (obviously) introduce wrist-roll and put your disc on an anhyzer release.. depending on the timing of your wrist roll and the stability of your discs, that could be what is giving you 'flatter' releases when actually the anhyzer angle is what pushes your disc straight during the HST portion of your flight. I could be wrong, but that's just how it seems to logically fit for me.

and I would suggest working on the power grip as often as possible, it's the BH grip for combined distance and accuracy of choice for a reason. Just my opinion as well, and I'd listen to more of the really informed people on this forum before accepting this as 'the way' or what's known as 'right'.

Putting and driving are two different beasts in regards to your hand/wrist/arm movement etc-- putting really can be player specific with different styles and techniques combined into what is generally comfortable for them and provides the most constancy as wll as grip styles being fairly subjective. Driving with your palm up on the other hand does not sound like good advice as this would cause you to be rolling your shoulder, arm and wrist over in order to get your palm facing up causing what you will here on this board OVER AND OVER as "OAT" (Off axis torque) and is the biggest flaw of driving form in new players. This wrist roll causes a disc to come off your hand much less controlled and act less stable than it would with a clean throw. Keeping your shoulder, arm, wrist and hand all on a level/same plane throughout your throw is key to being smooth and accurate.

Would it be beneficial to buy the PDGA rules and Competition Manual?

Depends. If you play tournaments, it's good to have in your bag in case an issue comes up during a round. However, all the text is available online, so if you're only playing casually, the PDGA website should be a sufficient resource.

IM(underinformed)O, keeping your palm facing the ground after release will give you more accuracy and a flatter release.

FWIW, rolling your palm down imparts just as much OAT as rolling it up, just in the opposite direction. When first learning to control OAT, it's best to learn to eliminate it and a large part of that is finishing with your hand on the same plane as the line you're trying to throw. There are times when both rolling under or over are useful, but you'll lose distance either way.

Depends. If you play tournaments, it's good to have in your bag in case an issue comes up during a round. However, all the text is available online, so if you're only playing casually, the PDGA website should be a sufficient resource.

Ok so if I only play in like 1-3 tournies per year, and in Intermediate or below, its not a necessity

It's more important that you read the rules carefully and feel like you have a good understanding. It's helpful to have a rulebook with the card if something comes up during a round, but there are few issues that can't be solved with a call to the TD, a quick search on someone's smart phone or taking a provisional and sorting it out later.

I played in the intermed once. And both cards were kind of cut throat. It surprised me how it was like that on lesser brackets.

just depends on the players you are with, and the area of the country, or even just that particular community.

Latest posts