• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

North Carolina Courses

Castle Hayne is one of the Top 3 Best courses in the eastern part of NC (east of I-95).

Speaking of eastern NC courses, I played Glenburnie Park in New Bern - one of my faves in the state - on a windy day last month. On hole 8 I threw my best drive ever, right down the middle to about 25 feet away from the base of the hill, and then threw in the deuce from there, with a hook shot that started out way off to the side to ride the wind in.

That felt like a bigger accomplishment than some of my aces. My average score on that hole is closer to 5 than 4.

Looks like a new course popped up near CLT since I last played regularly. Torma Town. Excited to check it out!

They recently added some B pins to this course. Not every hole has two pin placements, but they all have new baskets.

Once I get my new camera setup I'd like to make a video. New benches, bridges and other details - locals sure put in a lot of work here over the years.

#3 has a new pin placement about 25' to the left of the original.

#12 B pin is about 60' deeper into the woods, making the second shot much trickier.

#14 B pin is much longer, maybe 100-120' further out. I used to try to go for birdie with a BH roller on the old pin - on the new one I'm going for two long flicks then hoping to sink a putt for birdie.

Not sure if more are planned but it's cool seeing them mix it up.

Also if anyone else here is into skateboarding, they built a pretty cool little skatepark next to hole 2's basket at Renski.

Hopefully you got out there because I believe Torma is closing down any day now.

oh wow, thanks for the heads up. I'll try to get out there this week if I can find the time. Any idea if the closing is permanent or temporary?

Permanent. You're a day too late.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230501-154755~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20230501-154755~2.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 34
That had to be an uphill battle, a private course in the midst of the Disc Golf Mecca.

Olorin kept telling me how good it was. Only 13 holes, I believe, were playable on April 2nd. There was some construction going on at that time I guess. Wish I had time to play those holes but we were running on fumes by that point.

Has anyone been to the Country Course since the redesign?

*raises hand*

A few of the classic holes - the judge the main one that sticks out - are gone but the overall vibe of the course is still the same.

I think the owner did a great job taking a big pile of steaming crap that was laid in his lap and did an excellent job resolving it.

Dang, glad I got to play Torma on my last trip down. It was a really fun round and that place had awesome vibes.

Has anyone been to the Country Course since the redesign?

Have you been to Runaway Rocks / Rocky Ford? Dave now has 2 complete 18 hole courses and he recently created a Gold layout that combines the two into a really long 18 hole course. Of course there is the 18 hole tiki layout as well.

Played the new Fisher River DGC today. It is a short but technical course that is virtually entirely wooded. I used a Wombat off 3/4's of the tees and a fairway driver on the rest. If you are young and of neanderthal knuckle dragging arm you may be bored. At 70 years old I love it!

Played the new Fisher River DGC today. It is a short but technical course that is virtually entirely wooded. I used a Wombat off 3/4's of the tees and a fairway driver on the rest. If you are young and of neanderthal knuckle dragging arm you may be bored. At 70 years old I love it!
Funny. I was thinking that when it popped up, "just my speed".

Speaking of eastern NC courses, I played Glenburnie Park in New Bern - one of my faves in the state - on a windy day last month. On hole 8 I threw my best drive ever, right down the middle to about 25 feet away from the base of the hill, and then threw in the deuce from there, with a hook shot that started out way off to the side to ride the wind in.

That felt like a bigger accomplishment than some of my aces. My average score on that hole is closer to 5 than 4.

I loved playing Glenburnie, the only course I've played with Spanish Moss dripping from the trees. I don't think I'll ever forget #4 as my disc was heading toward the moss expecting it to get knocked down, but watching it fly right thru it brushing the moss aside, a unique flight of the disc. #8 basket high left birdie putt C2, I walked over to the other side of the green and saw that drop in the direction of the river, nope, I chickened out and dump the putt to the basket. Didn't want to chase my putter on a miss.

Dix Park East course is returning for a limited time tomorrow.

https://dorotheadixpark.org/discgolf

Looks like hole 2 has been made about 250' longer and is now a Par 4. Hole 3 is new to the course. Hole 4 and 5 are last year's holes 3 and 4. Hole 6 is last year's hole 5 but a little shorter. Hole 7 starts at last year's hole 6 tee and finishes at the original basket location for hole 7. Hole 8 and 9 remain largely the same, score card shows a couple feet deviation in length.

Morrisville SpringFest Disc Golf Course

Also going on this Saturday, a 1 day Temp course in Morrisville:

https://www.discgolfscene.com/tourn...e_Present_Town_of_Morrisville_SpringFest_2023

CADL has been working with the town of Morrisville for years to have a permanent course installed. The town has agreed to have a Temp course installed at the Cedar Fork Regional Park, but this course will be near the Town Hall complex and designed to show local interest in getting a course added.
Please swing by for this 1 Day Only event with Tee times (8AM to 11AM) and receive a disc equal to the price of the entry. :thmbup:

Latest posts