• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] nuke or katana

which is more overstable

• Nuke

Votes: 61 69.3%
  • Katana

Votes: 27 30.7%

• Total voters
Depends

It really depends how fast a person can snap a disc. If you aren't really getting a good snap, then you'll probably get more distance with the Katana than with the nuke. If you have a power hungry arm, you'll probably turn a Katana off the course.

buy the destroyer....

most fall for the "newest must be best" syndrome....
(see katana, nuke and previously Boss and Groove).

The destroyer is the most reliable and consistent of all of them. For most, there is no distance increase by going to the Nuke, Katana, Boss or Groove.

I have a champ Katana that flies almost exactly like a Destroyer but with a tad less glide.

A Pro Katana will turn over if thrown flat. Considering it has -4 high speed stability that's what it's meant to do. If thrown flat and low it will turn into the ground and be a horrible shot. If thrown flat with some height it will make a long gliding turn with a bit of fade at the end. The disc needs a lot of room to work on a distance line and it's not consistent enough to use in other situations such as straight shots or hyzers. The Nuke is more stable than a Pro Katana, but you probably need to be throwing 400'+ to make throwing the Nuke worthwhile, while the Pro Katana can give extra distance to someone throwing in the low 300's.

After loving but losing a couple of Katanas, I decided to try an ESP Nuke. At first I loved it, but it quickly developed a nasty squirrely flippy streak. I find myself throwing it less and less, and am beginning to be tempted by the Pro Katanas that I keep seeing in the local store. The Katana's flight pattern seems to be a bit more consistent for me.

After loving but losing a couple of Katanas, I decided to try an ESP Nuke. At first I loved it, but it quickly developed a nasty squirrely flippy streak. I find myself throwing it less and less, and am beginning to be tempted by the Pro Katanas that I keep seeing in the local store. The Katana's flight pattern seems to be a bit more consistent for me.

Have you tried the Z Nuke? I've heard the ESP Nuke is about as durable as DX plastic, which is why I never bought one, but the Elite Z Nuke seems just as durable as other Z's so it shouldn't become overly flippy as fast as the ESP does.

I like both of these discs alot. I throw forehand with both of them for the most part because I can get more spin on the disc this way. The Katana is a little less stable but if the right hyzer is used it flys forever. I am working on a forehand hyzer flip with the katana and when I get it right I get out past 400ft everytime. The katana dose need more room than the nuke however and I use my nuke for tight fairways because it seems to fly striaght and not fade as much when throwing low to the ground. I got my first ace with my nuke on a tight low ceiling shot. It was a skip in but what a great feeling. CHING!!!

Latest posts