• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

odd style of throwing

MotoDj

Double Eagle Member
i recently seen a video on you tube that was filmed during a tourney, and there was a guy who drove with his thumb on the under side of disc, disc rite side up, (right handed) started with disc behind him, swung his arm wide and high - shoulder high and released an overhand/sidearm kinda throw , maybe a reverse/sidearm??? upside down sidearm??

horrible description i know, i'm tryin to think of a way to describe it better, i've thrown that way b4, never in a game, but i was messin round today and it seemed like a fun/odd way to throw, at least for a trouble shot,

was wondering if it had a name, or if anyone else drives/throws like that... think i heard of a "broken chicken wing" sounds familiar... LMAO, dont know where that came from.. lol, but

it was really amazing to see it in a "organized" tourney, plus the guy totally launched his disc, couldn't see landing ... but it was a bomb

I believe you are talking about the "chicken wing"
Theres a local I know that throws that way a lot and a few others that have started trying it.

Do those wings come in barbecue?

^ yep, at least around here, thats called a "chicken wing".

forehand with the thumb???
i tried to describe it b4, thats the best i got

forehand with the thumb???
That's pretty much what I've seen, but the few times I saw it, the release was quite a bit higher than forehand shots are typically thrown. Most FH shots I've seen are thrown somewhere between waist high to about mid-torso, depending on individual style. But this cat was up near the shoulder.

why didnt you warn us to mute the volume, that song sucks big time. Yeah its great they wrote a dg song and those dudes can pick, but it really blows.

i liked the song, wont make it to my mp3 player... but i can dig it
sorry omega, i'll warn of hippy music next time

Bogey, read first post, i tried with the whole description...
guy who drove with his thumb on the under side of disc, disc rite side up, (right handed) started with disc behind him, swung his arm wide and high - shoulder high and released an overhand/sidearm kinda throw , maybe a reverse/sidearm??? upside down sidearm??

like i said, i tried, never seen anyone else do it, yet i've done it a few times b4 i'd ever seen it, and it works well, but i never practiced the "snap"

LMAO

Loved the song on the first link needs some work still but well on it's way to the best lick talking about my favorite sport :D even if it's the only one I've heard...

How does it work? I couldnt really tell from the video.

I found this demonstration on U-tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56cdZng1bjE

Even though this really seem's like more than a chicken wing I gotta try this wacked throw out!!

Loved the song on the first link needs some work still but well on it's way to the best lick talking about my favorite sport :D even if it's the only one I've heard...

I found this demonstration on U-tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56cdZng1bjE

Even though this really seem's like more than a chicken wing I gotta try this wacked throw out!!

Thanks. Makes alot more sense now.

They are using a Frisbee. How well would that work with a Wraith or a Tee Bird or a driver such as that?Would you get much distance or would it work better for a mid range throw?
Just what I need,another freaking way to try to learn how to get distance with a disc:mad::rolleyes:

Oh, now that I see that vid that's not what we call a chicken wing it's what someone on here called a pizza shot I think. I first saw it in a freestyle demo by Peter Bloeme back in the early eighties. He and his partner would plant their front foot and push back hard to get max spin. The other person would then catch it with one finger and let it spin on their fingernail. I occasionally use it in disc golf but only for putting. The last time I used it I had a row of pine trees to putt over that were around 6 and a half feet high so it was a little to high for a turbo putt. It's a good throw for ultimate too.