• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Official Ask Discmania Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you share the different flight characteristics of all three FD runs?

I am gonna go ahead and answer this one, since I got some pretty thorough info from the DM guys sometime back when enquiring about the same thing:

1st Run
Least stable of the three. Substantially glidey thanks to somewhat large dome. Also the slowest of the three, offering very midrange-like controllability. Most sensitive to power, but thanks to great glide can be a very long disc. Popular among people as the next step from D/S-FD and also pretty comparable to Champion Leopard, only a touch more stable and a bit more glidey.

2nd Run
Most stable of the three. Handles power the best of the three. Has a great forward-penetrating glide. Provides very straight lines for players that can reach 80m and up with it. Works as a more stable than truly straight driver for those who throw under 80m. Flattest of the three. Features extremely durable plastic material that has been lightened by adding blizzard bubbles. Could be described as a straighter and a touch longer TeeBird.

3rd Run (Jolly Launcher)
Stability sits between the 1st and the 2nd, but leans a touch more towards the 2nd. Dome-wise sits also between 1st & 2nd. Plastic is grippier and in many cases pretty clear. Also comparable to TeeBird, but this time with maybe a touch more turn and a more neutral finish. Very nice, effortless glide. This has lately been the popular pick.

This breakdown has been written by a player that reaches 100-110m with fairway drivers as range may affect the perception of flight characteristics. Based on field testing and reviews from forums etc.

Rarintal, please take it from here if there is something to add.

The CD is the most under-appreciated discmania disc. Just wanted to throw that out there. S-line CD's are the most accurate speed 10 driver I've ever thrown.

The CD is the most under-appreciated discmania disc. Just wanted to throw that out there. S-line CD's are the most accurate speed 10 driver I've ever thrown.

truth! I used to throw the FR CD. I havent thrown the production model, just the First Runs. Ive been kicking around the idea of putting them back in the bag

If they bring these out in G line I might make it my primary driver and drop Escapes. The PD is awesome, but a little too much for my ability as an everyday distance driver. A flat CD is really, really nice.

Seeing as how its pretty much a Viking, its no wonder its also under-appreciated.

People just don't know.

Thanks for sharing what's in your bag.

Any chance there will be lighter first run G* FDs or lighter first run C-line FD2s added to the store inventory in the near future? I like fairways under 170g but I am so excited to try these new ones I will buy heavier if I have no other choice.

At the moment the G-LINE FD's are only in max weights and we will work on getting more FD2's out in lighter weights

And any chance at lighter Simon FD's or McBeth P2's?

We will take this into consideration if we run another batch. Thanks for the insight

What, you dont bag any PDs?? For shame! :D Thats a big jump from FD2 to PD2 and DD2... but I have seen weirder combos work. Its about how you use what you have.

It is a big jump but, I can get a FD/FD2 just as far as the PD with more accuracy. And if I really need something overstable I use a Fresh C-LINE PD2. People have described them as "destroyer of worlds" they are pretty versatile as seriously overstable/ Wind / Forehand disc. It's a little unorthodox, but it works for me.

Is there a difference in flight characteristics, feel, or shape between the regular run C MD3s and the European Open glow C MD3s? Thanks for all the great info; it makes such a huge difference to have a place to ask these questions and get good info.

The regular run C-LINE MD3's are very flat, they are very long as well... The glow MD3's look exactly the same but they are glow, and glow discs for the most part are always more overstable. if you are looking for overstable ones try to find ones with a dome. The prototype Simon and myself were throwing had a big dome and was most certainly a meat hook.

I am gonna go ahead and answer this one, since I got some pretty thorough info from the DM guys sometime back when enquiring about the same thing:

Quote:
1st Run
Least stable of the three. Substantially glidey thanks to somewhat large dome. Also the slowest of the three, offering very midrange-like controllability. Most sensitive to power, but thanks to great glide can be a very long disc. Popular among people as the next step from D/S-FD and also pretty comparable to Champion Leopard, only a touch more stable and a bit more glidey.

2nd Run
Most stable of the three. Handles power the best of the three. Has a great forward-penetrating glide. Provides very straight lines for players that can reach 80m and up with it. Works as a more stable than truly straight driver for those who throw under 80m. Flattest of the three. Features extremely durable plastic material that has been lightened by adding blizzard bubbles. Could be described as a straighter and a touch longer TeeBird.

3rd Run (Jolly Launcher)
Stability sits between the 1st and the 2nd, but leans a touch more towards the 2nd. Dome-wise sits also between 1st & 2nd. Plastic is grippier and in many cases pretty clear. Also comparable to TeeBird, but this time with maybe a touch more turn and a more neutral finish. Very nice, effortless glide. This has lately been the popular pick.

This breakdown has been written by a player that reaches 100-110m with fairway drivers as range may affect the perception of flight characteristics. Based on field testing and reviews from forums etc.

Rarintal, please take it from here if there is something to add.

That's pretty much right on. The only other note is that in the 3rd run there are 2 varations. one with a bit of pearl in the rim and feels more stiff is the more overstable of the two, and the really clear looking rim is the straighter one.

This is true. Very fun disc to throw. Did you find it very straight with a predictable fade?

How similar are FD2s to the Innova T3s

I am not sure how they compare as they are relatively new correct? We have done side by side comparisons with the Brinster Teebirds. The Brinster birds are a more overstable version of the TeeBird. They flew very close to the same, Except the TeeBird likes to glide to it's finish and the FD2 more falls out of the sky. The FD2 also feels a touch slower, which has seemed to give a lot of people more accuracy.

I do have a report on the wear of these as well. My two that i use are starting to straighten out, not quite like a TeeBird but somewhere in between the Fresh FD2 and Brinster TeeBird. It seems pretty obvious, but I figured you guys would want to know.

Any other questions out there!?

My CD's don't fade, they finish on the angle thrown. Between adding the FD's and CD's to the bag I've gained lots of accuracy within distance brackets that I've never had before.

"Straight with predictable fade" sounds exactly like those FD2's you sold me on though ;)

Let's talk gremlins.... This mold is one of my all time favorites. I currently only throw the old Innova proline ones. The Discmania production discs are lacking the stability of the old plastic.

My question is... When can we expect to see a production run in a champion plastic? Or has the possibility even been discussed?

I have a beat S-CD that used to be so money but looks to me like its getting a bit too beat. I still have a place for it though.

A lot of people shun CDs for no reason, and think they are too flippy. Well yeah might be if you have a huge arm and really mash into them. Control shots is where they execute.

If you had to play a one disc round, what disc would you choose?

Will we see a Jussi designed course in the states anytime soon?

What is your go to "skip shot" disc?

and

Are there future plans for more US Discmania sponsored events?

Is my 1st run Greater Midrange (not gremlin stamped) legal in US tournaments?
There was discussion about the name change elsewhere.

Curious if Discmania will come out with:

a) A beaded putter
b) An understable mid
c) P-Line FDs in regular weights

Big thanks to rarintal for the great feedback and service!

I vaguely remember Jussi saying they would retool the MD1 to be more of an understable flyer.

My CD's don't fade, they finish on the angle thrown. Between adding the FD's and CD's to the bag I've gained lots of accuracy within distance brackets that I've never had before.

"Straight with predictable fade" sounds exactly like those FD2's you sold me on though ;)

By predictable i meant it fades but not, excessively like the PD2. did you get your FD2's yet?

Let's talk gremlins.... This mold is one of my all time favorites. I currently only throw the old Innova proline ones. The Discmania production discs are lacking the stability of the old plastic.

My question is... When can we expect to see a production run in a champion plastic? Or has the possibility even been discussed?

We do not have a plan for C-LINE GM's at the moment. We will most definitely let you all know if something changes!

I have a beat S-CD that used to be so money but looks to me like its getting a bit too beat. I still have a place for it though.

A lot of people shun CDs for no reason, and think they are too flippy. Well yeah might be if you have a huge arm and really mash into them. Control shots is where they execute.

That's where the name CD comes from (Control Driver). I found these surprising fun to throw this disc. I do see the comparison to a longer FD now that it's mentioned.

If you had to play a one disc round, what disc would you choose?

Will we see a Jussi designed course in the states anytime soon?

What is your go to "skip shot" disc?

and

Are there future plans for more US Discmania sponsored events?

If I were going to play a 1 Disc round it would be a G-LINE P2.

DiscGolfPark employs approximately 15 professional course designers. Discmania's Country Manager Erno Vayrynen and Avery Jenkins are designers that are now in the US. Erno has designed closed to 100 courses and Avery is Avery :). Jussi leads the course designer group and we constantly develop the concept together. Jussi is the owner of a rapidly growing global business which means that he has his hands full with directing the business. When Jussi shows up to design a course, it is usually for a Major Event. We are bringing DiscGolfPark to the US in 2015.

My "skip shot" disc is the PD2 or MD3. The PD2 skips a long ways, the MD3 if i'm trying not to overthrow it the hole after it skips.

We don't have dates set yet but, Discmania will for sure sponsor events in the future.

Is my 1st run Greater Midrange (not gremlin stamped) legal in US tournaments?
There was discussion about the name change elsewhere.

Your disc is legal. We would not put our name on a disc if it was not legal.

Curious if Discmania will come out with:

a) A beaded putter
b) An understable mid
c) P-Line FDs in regular weights

Big thanks to rarintal for the great feedback and service!

I am unsure of the answer here. I will seek some insight! please ask again if i forget to get back to you guys!

I vaguely remember Jussi saying they would retool the MD1 to be more of an understable flyer.

Where did you see this if you don't mind me asking?

Jussi Meresmaa ‏@JussiMeresmaa

@eemeli_vastamki @CaineAsourasRex @DiscmaniaDiscs You´re right. We will retool MD1 in the future to make a difference.

Retweet
Favorite

9:58 PM - 30 Mar 2013

DiscGolfPark employs approximately 15 professional course designers. Discmania's Country Manager Erno Vayrynen and Avery Jenkins are designers that are now in the US. Erno has designed closed to 100 courses and Avery is Avery :). Jussi leads the course designer group and we constantly develop the concept together. Jussi is the owner of a rapidly growing global business which means that he has his hands full with directing the business. When Jussi shows up to design a course, it is usually for a Major Event. We are bringing DiscGolfPark to the US in 2015.

This was very informative to understand the structure of the DiscGolfPark team and the role Discmania plays within it. Can't wait to see what location is chosen first for the flagship US DiscGolfPark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts