• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Official Ask Discmania Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's really sad to me that DM is unable to get their original discs in stock. I have been wondering what went down between them and Innova to get to this point. Think Dave D was pissed the Jussi started working with Lat64 and Yikun? Or did Jussi go to those other guys because Innova was not producing enough? Its one of those things we may never actually know, but that I REALLY want to know the answer to. *sigh* there are sooo many awesome discs that I want that are impossible to get because either they make like 200 of them once a year, or they just outright don't make them anymore. When was the last time there was an actual restock of P2s?

I was at a Dynamic Discs store yesterday. The clerks said that when Discmania started looking at Yikun and Lat64 production, Innova got ticked and added a new rule: 1 year lead time for any production orders. Not sure when that came down, but the Originals look like they might be in limbo for a year or more at least. I switched from P2 back to Wardens.

i'm selling off a lot of my discmania. sucks to see it happening but there's a divorce down the line with them and innova brewing probably.

it's not too hard to find innova equivalents but i'll be sad to see my P2, PD, FD, DD3 MD4 go. the sellers market is just to crazy now and it makes losing and buying replacements too expensive a proposition.

i'm sure their new trilogy and other stuff is good but it's still small batches creating wild prices and subsequent pricing out of guys who just want regular discs to throw.

sad

Last edited:
I was at a Dynamic Discs store yesterday. The clerks said that when Discmania started looking at Yikun and Lat64 production, Innova got ticked and added a new rule: 1 year lead time for any production orders. Not sure when that came down, but the Originals look like they might be in limbo for a year or more at least. I switched from P2 back to Wardens.

I would not be surprised at all if this were true. It's really ****ty because they do have some awesome molds. I wonder why Innova would want/need to be so vindictive about the situation. Just because Lat64 and Yikun are competition? Discmania is basically just a distributor. Its like if Innova got mad at OTB for having Discraft do runs for them alongside getting runs from Innova. Just seems dumb for Innova to tank DM.

i'm selling off a lot of my discmania. sucks to see it happening but there's a divorce down the line with them and innova brewing probably.

it's not too hard to find innova equivalents but i'll be sad to see my P2, PD, FD, DD3 MD4 go. the sellers market is just to crazy now and it makes losing and buying replacements too expensive a proposition.

i'm sure their new trilogy and other stuff is good but it's still small batches creating wild prices and subsequent pricing out of guys who just want regular discs to throw.

sad

I'm in the exact same boat...don't play a lot anymore so it seems to be a pretty good time to unload.

Some molds won't have 100% replacements but as infrequently as I get out anymore I honestly don't think it'll be too big of a problem.

I would not be surprised at all if this were true. It's really ****ty because they do have some awesome molds. I wonder why Innova would want/need to be so vindictive about the situation. Just because Lat64 and Yikun are competition? Discmania is basically just a distributor. Its like if Innova got mad at OTB for having Discraft do runs for them alongside getting runs from Innova. Just seems dumb for Innova to tank DM.

Innova may look at it as....okay, you are going somewhere else and don't need us. Fine, that's business,...but we need to know what we ARE making for you and don't want you switching in the middle. So, this is how you need to order so we can plan - you (Discmania) aren't the only ones needing our time...we can fill your order spots with other brands.

I'm in the exact same boat...don't play a lot anymore so it seems to be a pretty good time to unload.

Some molds won't have 100% replacements but as infrequently as I get out anymore I honestly don't think it'll be too big of a problem.

If you have any old FDs I'd take em off your hands :thmbup::thmbup:

Innova may look at it as....okay, you are going somewhere else and don't need us. Fine, that's business,...but we need to know what we ARE making for you and don't want you switching in the middle. So, this is how you need to order so we can plan - you (Discmania) aren't the only ones needing our time...we can fill your order spots with other brands.

Yeah, thats definitely a possibility. Everything is kind of just hypothetical anyways. We don't really have any hard info other than Discmania saying theyre having a hard time getting Originals.

I actually just heard back from a Discmania rep because I emailed about when the next restock of P2s would be. He said they should be in around June/July so that is pretty cool! At least we know they are going to make P2s!

My only issue with Discmania is they stopped producing my favorite disc.

I know they are a small brand.
I know they don't make their own discs.
I know they probably can't afford to continue to make discs just to make them.

But, if you stop making a main disc of mine, I'm going elsewhere and if I go elsewhere for that disc, why shouldn't I go to the other brand for the rest of my discs?

Yeah, you (Discmania) tell me you have another disc with the same flight numbers...but my favorite disc was flat-topped and perfect for a forehand. The 'similar' disc is rounded and doesn't work well for me as a forehand.

((Witness went out of production, supposedly the Diamond is their replacement - not only is the top rounded, but the weights are limited. I've tried the Diamond....I want the Witness.)).

Lucky for you Discmania doesn't make the Witness or the Diamond.

Perhaps your angst should be directed towards another manufacturer?

https://www.discmania.net/blogs/discover/discmania-product-update-what-to-expect
Figured I'd copy/paste this message from Jussi into this thread. Bolding is my own.
2020 - THE YEAR TO REMEMBER

Dear Fans,

2020 is now in the books and what a year it was. In early March, all the plans for the season were thrown into the trash as the pandemic hit. The final nine months of the year were a constant battle against the virus, new regulations, and unexpected twists and turns. On the positive side, the sport of disc golf exploded, and it happened in a way no one was expecting. More people entered the sport than ever before. More discs, bags and apparel were sold than ever. Every manufacturer did their best to keep their machines running and ramped up their production. It might very well be that we will never see such a growth in such a short period of time again. At Discmania, our multi-partner strategy set in 2018 saved our company. Without our three manufacturing partners, we would not have been in the position to offer nearly as much as we did in 2020. Only one partner out of three was able to stay operative the whole time of the pandemic.

All our previously built inventories in both the United States and Europe were gone. Major issues of getting enough restocks combined with sellouts in minutes colored our year. We made a lot of new customers, but also disappointed many old ones. We did a lot of tweaks to our distribution policies during the season trying to accommodate our number one customer: you. Some of these new policies were great successes while others fell short. One thing I can say without a doubt is that we tried our best. We never gave up.

We have amazing fans. Many of you have been with us for years. Many of you have joined recently. If you've been with us since day one, found us in 2020, or somewhere in between, all I can say to you is, "thank you." Your passion fuels me and our team every single day. That passion keeps us going.

2021 - WHAT TO EXPECT?

2021 will be a year of "catching up" for us. The demand for disc golf will continue to be strong and there will be continued demand for discs from 2020. Many manufacturers will have difficulties meeting the demand. Also, distributors, as well as dealers, have their base inventories very low, so that only creates more demand. All this goes with us at Discmania too.

One of our core values in the company is openness. We want to be as transparent as possible towards our customers and share information that we have. When it comes to our three disc lines, this is what you should expect:

ORIGINALS
Due to the pandemic, the Originals line faced major challenges. We failed to meet the demand and expectations of our customers. At the same time, the demand for the Originals grew to an all-time high. During the 2020 season, we had to suspend some molds on our Originals lineup and we tried to concentrate on the most important molds.

For 2021, we currently need to suspend more and we expect to offer only four or five molds for our customers. This is far from ideal and we won't stop trying to fix the issues that got us to this point. Unfortunately, a lot of things are not in our hands. As we said before, this is only the current situation. Work continues to get us back to the levels that people like you expect from us.

EVOLUTION
Since introduction of the Evolution line, we have been modestly increasing the number of molds in the lineup. Each addition has been very carefully planned.
In 2021, we are adding three or four new molds into the lineup. I'm personally very excited about those. We will release a never-before-seen midrange and a few timeless, great molds. One very notable point is that we will transfer some of our Signature Series releases to the Evolution lineup. We expect Evolution production to continue to ramp up in 2021.

ACTIVE
Our Active line did very well in 2020. In Europe, it was the fastest growing product line. The volume, outlook, and price point are designed to a wide distribution and beginner level of play. Active will grow with four new molds and a new three-disc starter set that is superior to anything else on the market. We expect Active to continue to grow fast and not have supply issues.

OTHER PRODUCTS
2021 will be a somewhat quiet year outside our three lines of discs. We want to concentrate our efforts on making our golf disc offering as strong as possible to keep with demand. However, we will introduce new apparel lineups and make more Lizotte and McMahon merch.

FINAL THOUGHTS
Some of this news is understandably disappointing to read. We certainly feel the same way. I want to underline that 2021 has just begun and there is a lot of time to make things better. We will be better. We are constantly working hard with our partners to get the discs you love. The work has never stopped and will never stop.

For the fans of our Signature Team players: We will do our very best to provide you Cloud Breakers, Night Strikes and Sky Gods. I'm confident that you will love what we have been planning for you.

Jussi Meresmaa
CEO

TLDR:
- For 2021, the majority of the Originals line will remain suspended. The handful that will be offered were not specified.
- There will be some new Evolution molds released, including more Evolution Signature Series discs.
- They're going to try to provide Cloud Breakers, Night Strikes, and Sky Gods. Whether that means stock DD3's, FD's, and P2's are a part of the Originals line that will actually be produced this year, who knows.

Overall this is depressing! Have a great Tuesday everyone!

Probably Innova manufacturing schedule pushing back at the brands they produce to increase the size of the runs (for efficiency) instead of spreading it among all the lineup (switching molds takes time). We saw a few different molds get made last year but the focus was on getting the Tour Series runs done for Sky God III, Sky Rider, Iron Samurai II, Cloudbreaker II, Lone Howl II, Dark Maul II, and Nightstrike III. Also saw SE runs for the Color Glow FD3, Glow PD3, Echo DD3, and Soft P2 (will this be stock going forward?). Each of those molds (P2, PD2, MD3, DD3, PD, FD, FD3) saw new stock runs in a couple plastics during the 2020 year (along with the TD, FD2, CD2, DDx).

Going back through the somewhat regular Discmania Store emails from 2020 restocks, I didn't see new runs of P3x, P1, P1x?, MD?, MD2, MD4?, TD2, TDx?, CD3, DD2?, and MD5?. Mostly it looked like old stock in odd weights for the ones with ? from 2019 or earlier.

My predictions:
FD in stock S/C/D-line plus Night Strike 4 (in a different plastic).
P2 in stock S/D/P-line plus Sky God 4 (yet another plastic type? or cycle back to C-line?) - other than D-line probably won't overlap with Omega4/Alpaca/Firefly plastics (stiff ET/Color Glow DT/MF glow & color glow C-Blend/Nexus)
DD3 in stock S/C-lines (new!) plus Cloudbreaker 3 (remain swirly S-Line), maybe a special edition (metalflake?)
MD3/PD might be one or both. Depends if they make Iron Samurai III, Lone Howl III, Dark Maul III. If they are produced, expect all the stock plastics (S/C/D) and maybe an additional special edition.

I'd say the above are the 5 most popular molds currently in the Originals lineup and make sense for the limited amount of production time. I think everyone would be happy with more availability of the tour series discs so they will likely increase production of those and do bigger runs of the stock plastics for each.

Likely no PD2/FD2/FD3 Tour series so those won't get produced (they were produced in 2020 though). Simon moving on to the Tilt seems to replace the Sky Rider?

Could see Montgomery & Pirronen's Tour series moving over to the Evo line (Link/Instinct?) and Klein, Anttila, & Vikstrom getting a tour series in the Evo line (maybe one of the new molds?). Avery may not get a tour series disc (similar to Dana losing the Roaming Thunder CD2).

Some very good predictions in there that I can see happening. Not sure about C-line. When was the last time a recently introduced mold was offered in C-line? 3-tooled FD2 sure, but that was already available in C. DDx got done in C-line but never felt like it became popular. I see the same fate for C-DD3.

CD3/MD4/MD5 were all first released in C-Line as well. Most all of their popular driver molds have been released in C-line as well (PD2, PD, FD3, FD, CD2). Regular C-Line, Metalflake, or Luster would be pretty logical for a summer mystery box drop (existing mold, new plastic type). I remember seeing someone hint at a C-line DD3 on the DM FB collectors page some point in the last year and they start working on the next mystery box special run pretty quick after the last one gets released. I think it would sell well enough in stock form to stick around (better than overweight PD2s probably).

I figure with them trying to provide sky gods, NS, and cloud breakers, that means at the Innova factory while they have the mold pieces in place, why not run all of these in Star for stock runs too, and maybe D or P for the P2s.

I mean, unless they want to just run them in 100% tour series config knowing each and every one will sell out immediately? Shoot, why run stock productions of the Originals at all with the above in mind?

*nervously clutches FD collection like a dragon*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts