• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Official Ask Discmania Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at Eagles Video about the Design i still don´t really understand Why Tomas Ekström of Lat64 designs Dismanias discs.. . It´s an Discmania Original designed by Lat64?!

Not only does Lat design their discs, they also make them using Lat plastic.

I know Lat64 makes the Evo line and helped Discmania set up the new factory, , , i just didn´t think Tomas would design the Original line.

And looking at that video it did not really feel like Eagle did that much "Designing his own disc" more told Tomas to make one.

Would you rather give him some clay to work with? AutoCAD?

I dont know where you are trying to get with this but I have no qualms about the arrangement. The guy is a seasoned disc designer in a business relationship with DM.

Not only does Lat design their discs, they also make them using Lat plastic.

Partly true. Evolution line only, and not 1:1 same plastic as Lat64. Eventually they aim to bring Evolution line in-house too, i.e. Discmania manufactured.

Partly true. Evolution line only, and not 1:1 same plastic as Lat64. Eventually they aim to bring Evolution line in-house too, i.e. Discmania manufactured.
In a world dominated by social media, where are the quick videos of discmania "manufacturing" their own discs? Not a single tour, or clip of discs actually being made. Weird that they are so proud of making their own molds now but all of us are relying on a single guy just saying that it's happening. I don't believe it for a second. "In house" is inside the latitude factory, until Jussi proves otherwise.

I'm sure Eagle "designed" the Rainmaker as much as Simon did the Tilt. They describe what they'd like it to be. Then sell, sell, sell it regardless of how it turned out. That's the job. They do it very well.

Would you rather give him some clay to work with? AutoCAD?

I dont know where you are trying to get with this but I have no qualms about the arrangement. The guy is a seasoned disc designer in a business relationship with DM.

I would have been fun to see Eagle come to Sweden and test out a few designs, , but ok hard to do now.
But the Video was not that well made, Eagle didn´t say much, sure the call was MUCH longer and he could have made a better edit.

I´m not picking on Discmania i like them. .but from a customers standpoint i see Lat64 and Discmania as competitors.
But then again i don´t get why Innova makes Infinites disc. . or why MVP makes TSA . .Gateway makes AGL and so on
Does the designer get a cut on every sold disc or does he just get a sum for the design?

Can it be tha "new molds sell" and a single company can´t have a endless amount of molds. . .so they start new companies to spread out the molds?

I would have been fun to see Eagle come to Sweden and test out a few designs, , but ok hard to do now.
But the Video was not that well made, Eagle didn´t say much, sure the call was MUCH longer and he could have made a better edit.

I´m not picking on Discmania i like them. .but from a customers standpoint i see Lat64 and Discmania as competitors.
But then again i don´t get why Innova makes Infinites disc. . or why MVP makes TSA . .Gateway makes AGL and so on
Does the designer get a cut on every sold disc or does he just get a sum for the design?

Can it be tha "new molds sell" and a single company can´t have a endless amount of molds. . .so they start new companies to spread out the molds?

Startup costs to even get one disc out to a shop is quite big so it is much easier to buy "capacities" with someone already up and running. This is quite common also in the bike industry were Giant makes a substantial portion of all other brands bikes. Many brands design in house and outsource production and some just slap a sticker on a generic batch and call it their own.

Without a dubt Lat64 get compensation for everything they do for DM and who knows where the lines are drawn but in the end DM is a customer to Lat64.

Wonder how many molds Tomas made in 2021? All the Royal line, and DD new premium line....and all the Disc for Discmania

It's been 7 minutes since the early link emailed for the Black Mystery Boxes with Rainmakers, and they aren't sold out. Either DM had more available or there is less demand?

It's been 7 minutes since the early link emailed for the Black Mystery Boxes with Rainmakers, and they aren't sold out. Either DM had more available or there is less demand?

Two prototype putters in one year/season doesn't have a lot of allure. This box ends on a bit of a flat note, and I think if they would've gone glow Iron Samurai md3, sky god, or an FD variant it would have been different. I also think many are underwhelmed with the Black Friday allotment. I'm sure a full year of production will yield more epic options for next year (they're probably sitting on CB3 misprints as we speak!)

Happy new year, Discmaniacs!!

still in stock as of 11:11 AM eastern, so my guess is more supply and slightly less demand as pointed out by poster above me

It has to be demand related.

The black friday boxes were underwhelming for many that are used to the "mystery element". All it took was a quick look on reddit to see that most people were getting 1-2 x-outs, an enigma, 2-3 "special edition" evolution line discs, genius/rockstar, special stamped instinct, shogun/evolution misprint, plus the MD1. That is literally 99% of the box contents I saw posted online (either youtube unboxings or reddit). Personally, because I throw a lot of evolution line discs I was happy with my box, but I can see how a lot of people would back down from buying another. The active line discs are really the main downside for me.

It's interesting to me that DM would put a lot of production power into the mystery box season, especially on a rebuilding year when disc golf is growing so quickly. They could have maybe just done one mystery box or none and instead put all that production effort into releasing new evolution molds (Splice, mutant, etc) or put the cash into production/development of DM originals. I know that the mystery boxes are an important part of the brand, but I think more people want dependable disc supply and introduction of new molds than they care about a missed season of mystery boxes.

DM needs to be vigilant that they don't lose the hype surrounding the boxes. They clearly followed a pattern this year when it comes to box content. I get the special stamps/plastics, but I mean most boxes had the same general pattern. If DM wants to re-build the hype they need to cut the active line discs out of the boxes for future releases and actually introduce a degree of mystery from one box to the next. Get some player signatures in there and focus more on the evolution line than the active line.

That being said, I still snagged a Black Box about an hour ago.....

Curious to hear from others on this.

Last edited:

The black friday boxes were underwhelming for many that are used to the "mystery element". All it took was a quick look on reddit to see that most people were getting 1-2 x-outs, an enigma, 2-3 "special edition" evolution line discs, genius/rockstar, special stamped instinct, shogun/evolution misprint, plus the MD1. That is literally 99% of the box contents I saw posted online (either youtube unboxings or reddit). Personally, because I throw a lot of evolution line discs I was happy with my box, but I can see how a lot of people would back down from buying another. The active line discs are really the main downside for me.

It's interesting to me that DM would put a lot of production power into the mystery box season, especially on a rebuilding year when disc golf is growing so quickly. They could have maybe just done one mystery box or none and instead put all that production effort into releasing new evolution molds (Splice, mutant, etc) or put the cash into production/development of DM originals. I know that the mystery boxes are an important part of the brand, but I think more people want dependable disc supply and introduction of new molds than they care about a missed season of mystery boxes.

DM needs to be vigilant that they don't lose the hype surrounding the boxes. They clearly followed a pattern this year when it comes to box content. I get the special stamps/plastics, but I mean most boxes had the same general pattern. If DM wants to re-build the hype they need to cut the active line discs out of the boxes for future releases and actually introduce a degree of mystery from one box to the next. Get some player signatures in there and focus more on the evolution line than the active line.

I agree with everything you said and passed on this box. My brother and I both got a Black Friday box and they were exactly the same apart from one disc.

Regarding variety and mystery, they said these black boxes will also be very similar to one another, and discs were loaded into boxes were before any Evo discs were being made by DM machines (instead of lat), " when the production of Mystery Box products was set up, we didn't have our own factory yet..." Which is odd because there are brand new Rainmakers. Are Rainmakers made on Lat64 or DM machines?

I still bought one because I missed the last box.

People are really particular about their putters and many won't even consider changing. So a Black Mystery Box where the "excitement" is about a putter? I'm not surprised there isn't a big demand.

Also...it's the holidays...so why spend big bucks for a MB where the main draw is a putter? A truly unique disc like the Tilt....that's different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts