• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Okthrowberfest 2017 Voting Thread

Vote for your top three

• Candy Skulll Crusher

Votes: 40 34.8%
  • I Come in Peace

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Best Shot Doubles

Votes: 41 35.7%
  • Juiced Pumpkin

Votes: 22 19.1%
  • Real Men throw in Lederhosen!

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • Lucifer

Votes: 18 15.7%
  • When Spiders Dream

Votes: 16 13.9%
  • Maria los Muerto

Votes: 18 15.7%
  • Helmut von Bierstein

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Knuckles Halloween Costume

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • The Scavenger

Votes: 49 42.6%
  • Rise of the Minions

Votes: 16 13.9%
  • Eye of the Bethrowlder

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Night Creep

Votes: 15 13.0%

• Total voters
Now that the voting is over, I am almost 100% certain The Scavenger is submitted by Bennett. He's a huge fan of both Calvin & Hobbes and Star Wars, but I have not yet seen any combinations of the two before.

Also a super-clean dye, and he put way too many little flying pieces of debris behind them - he includes lots and lots of detail in his own creations that take forever to pick clean.

Hey, how come the polls are still open? Places are moving. Will it be backed up to what it was when it was supposed to close?

Now that the voting is over, I am almost 100% certain The Scavenger is submitted by Bennett. He's a huge fan of both Calvin & Hobbes and Star Wars, but I have not yet seen any combinations of the two before.

Also a super-clean dye, and he put way too many little flying pieces of debris behind them - he includes lots and lots of detail in his own creations that take forever to pick clean.

I would be kind of surprised if this was Bennett's, but we'll see. His have always been very on-theme.

Hey, how come the polls are still open? Places are moving. Will it be backed up to what it was when it was supposed to close?

Huh, yeah, I didn't notice. I'm not sure it's possible to back it up though.

Hello all
Noill can you close the poll?

Poll is closed... I was trying to stay up last night, but crashed... Whoo!

I'll check the logs and make sure the voting is accurate.

Thanks everyone who voted and the dyers who submitted.

Congrats to the winners, and a big thanks to Noill Golff for making it happen! I designed and dyed the spinner ones, and learned a lot of the design techniques from a Yo-Yo pro and artist named Drew Tetz (you should find him on Instagram!). The most important "trick": you have to film these outside in the sunlight, and you have to watch it through a phone to see the illusion. Let me know if you have other questions about design!

I thought those spinner dyes were very clever. I wonder what other ideas you have?

So there were 3 votes this morning that changed second and third place. Hows that going to work?

And may have introduced a tie at 6th. I don't know for sure what things looked like at midnight since I wasn't awake either, but the last time I checked, there was not a tie.

Poll is closed... I was trying to stay up last night, but crashed... Whoo!

I'll check the logs and make sure the voting is accurate.

Thanks everyone who voted and the dyers who submitted.

And thanks for the largely thankless job of running this ... !

So there were 3 votes this morning that changed second and third place. Hows that going to work?

Sounds like Noill has a way of knowing when which votes came in. I know when I checked at like 7am I was tied for 2nd at 40, that last vote that pushed me to 41 just happened recently. IDK what happened between midnight and 7am though.

Thank you! The short answer to your question is, lots of them. You can see more of them on my Instagram (including a rejected idea or two for this contest) at RobDyesAtTheEnd.

Thank you for sharing, I will definitely be checking that out!:hfive:

I've just recently started dyeing discs. In fact, my two entries (Candy Skull Crusher and I Come In Peace) are my second and third stencil dyes. Based on what I see in the contest (in particular, Best Shot Doubles, Real Men Throw in Lederhosen, Rise of the Minions, and Eye of the Bethrowlder), I definitely have to up my game!

Thanks for the opportunity and making this fun - much appreciated!

I've just recently started dyeing discs. In fact, my two entries (Candy Skull Crusher and I Come In Peace) are my second and third stencil dyes. Based on what I see in the contest (in particular, Best Shot Doubles, Real Men Throw in Lederhosen, Rise of the Minions, and Eye of the Bethrowlder), I definitely have to up my game!

Thanks for the opportunity and making this fun - much appreciated!

That's really impressive, doubly so if you hand cut them!

When I vote I pick 5-6 based on first impressions. Then I look more closely at those ones to try to get down to 3. Admittedly, I am biased towards hand cut stencils: If theres a tie, that can break the tie for me.

I had Candy Skull pegged as not being hand cut. If it was then hats off to you, sir!

Big Man Bailye is the dyer you seek. Gonna say the Real Men Throw was his too.

OK, the vote will stand as is... honestly, I should have made this end when I would actually be up to end it...
The polling doesn't let you end it at an exact time... All of the votes were fair and no one voted more than three times.
I'm going to adjust up the 3rd prize so that there are no hard feelings about the 2nd and 3rd place shifting that happened at the end. Jeez 2nd and 3rd are so close...

Last edited:
I'll start contacting the winners to pick their prizes! Yay!

Congrats to twistedmangled for The Scavenger... the Okthrowberfest 2017 winner! I'm working on a special prize for the 1st place winner. It might take a little while to get done.

Also a big congrats to 2nd and 3rd
[FONT=&quot]
1st Place: twistedmangled with The Scavenger
2nd Place: roggenb3 with Best Shot Doubles
3rd Place: PuzzledGuy with Candy Skulll Crusher
4th Place: Webster_Guy with Real Men throw in Lederhosen!
5th Place: Rob Edwards with Eye of the Bethrowlder
6th Place: RWPretzel with Juiced Pumpkin
7/8th Place: Webster_Guy with Lucifer
7/8th Place: big_Justin with Maria los Muerto
9/10th Place: RWPretzel with When Spiders Dream
9/10th Place: ConverseBob with Rise of the Minions
11th Place: Rob Edwards with Night Creep
12th Place: twistedmangled with Knuckles Halloween Costume
13th Place: PuzzledGuy with I Come in Peace
14th Place: big_Justin with Helmut von Bierstein
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Congrats to the winners, and to all the entrants for that matter. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Pretty sure I voted for each of the top 3... although Eye of the Bethrowlder very nearly got one of my votes.

Noill, thanks for doing the Yeomans work! :clap:

Wow this is such a great contest I always look forward to competing in it. I guess 3rd time is the charm. Thanks for all the votes I know a lot of folks didn't see the connection for OKTHROBERFEST and the Scavenger Dye but Halloween to me and my family is STAR WARS!

" All you need to do to enter is to dye a disc with your interpretation of what you think OKTHROWBERFEST could represent -- the changing seasons, the scariest of Halloween horrors, German beer festivals -- use your imagination!" Everybody has a different interpretation that's what makes the contest so great and so diverse. After looking at past years though I now understand that there has been more of a traditional Halloween, fall, and festival theme to the dyes so I made that mental note and if nothing else I will try to keep more true to that theme as it will certainly help me get more votes. HA HA

Seriously though amazing work this year again and I know how much time and blood sweat and tears go into these amazing dyes. I thought PuzzledGuys candy skull crusher was awesome and roggenb3 always kills it with his flawless Nickelodeon dyes and I really liked Rob Edwards Eye of the Bethrowlder too so crisp and clean. All the dyes were great!

Thanks Noill for running the show and all the prework, posting the voting thread and all the postwork that is coming you did a great job and things were smooth as ever.

We have gone STAR WARS crazy the last few years as my kids are so into the clone wars and rebels animated series so that dye was just an extension of the craziness. Check out the costumes that I made for all of my kids. Pepakura helmets, all of the blasters are 3d printed and the armor is made out of EVA foam.

Attachments

• SW KIIDS.jpg
    SW KIIDS.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC_0224_Mod(2).jpg
    DSC_0224_Mod(2).jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 26
Good show everyone! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

I tried really hard to figure out the link to the theme for scavenger and just couldn't. I thought maybe it was some star wars connection that I just don't get bc I don't watch it.

I was really surprised that Night Creep wasn't higher up - that is one awesome disc right there. I voted for Night Creep, Eye of the Bethrowlder, and Knuckles. Imo they were the cleanest and technically best ones.

Funny thing is Knuckles was outright Halloween themed and was a much more technical dye than the scavenger but it tanked I was really surprised that it didnt do better. I personally like it more than the scavenger. Thanks for the vote! Your Ren and Stimpy dye is flawless.:clap:

That's really impressive, doubly so if you hand cut them!

I had Candy Skull pegged as not being hand cut. If it was then hats off to you, sir!

Not hand cut. I tried hand cutting a couple, and my old man eyes and shaky hands won't get the job done well enough. :\

Latest posts