• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

One finger forehand

Middle finger FH

I've done just fine throwing the majority of my throws with just my middle finger on the inner rim, and kept my index finger splayed back to where it's resting in the middle of the underside of the disc.

I know it's not the most power-conducive, but this is a viable shot that you can get some pretty good zip on it if you can keep the rest of the motion pretty compact, generate most of your power from a forward step/opening up your hips, and release it flat.

So I'm primarily a backhand player. I've dedicated myself to mastering my backhand capabilities because I believe it's my superpower.

I've been slowly developing a forehand... But I only bring it out when I'm in a whole bunch 'o trouble. I've tried many different grips, but the only one that's ever felt right is one finger in the flight plate forehand... Is this frowned upon?

A buddy of mine who's a great disc golfer with a great forehand only uses his pointer finger in the flight plate... Anyone else with the same techniques? If so, any tips?
I won't say you can't be a great forehand player with one finger. I've played with guys who have better forehand games than me who use a single finger. But I will say I've played with a whole hell of a lot more who have a better forehand game than me using two.

Personally I think that a more stacked "power" forehand grip is the way to go because it, in effect, turns your index+middle fingers into a single super-finger providing a lot of stability behind the force driving into the rim. You get that first finger down like you're comfortable, and give it just a little bend so you can get the middle finger over the top if it and onto the rim as well. Get the disc snug and comfy with the thumb out toward (usually for me a hair forward of) middle.

You can be great with the single finger, but even if you are - you could be even greater with two.

But I only bring it out when I'm in a whole bunch 'o trouble. I've tried many different grips, but the only one that's ever felt right is one finger in the flight plate forehand... Is this frowned upon?

How far can you 1 finger sling a disc?

This really has me thinking as I am predominanly RHFH and changed up my grip a bunch of times. Here are some notes.

I started with the one index finger but was told middle finger gave better distance

Used the 2 finger fan grip as describe above. I feel I had better distance and accuracy but developed elbow issues. I couldn't play 9 holes without a lot of pain. Hind sight, it kind of makes you chicken wing yourself.

Tucked in the index finger, grip is more like your are flipping someone off. Elbow issues went away. I was using a thunderbird and thought it was fluky understable. I meshed well with it but all my sync with other discs went to crap. I eventually realized my index finger was pushing on the flight plate make the discs more understable.

Now using the power grip. No notable elbow issues. I have more distance but not as accurate as the previous 2 methods. Solutions? An understable disc might help hit those sweet spots. Maybe using the 'f.u.' grip for drives but not others?

How far can you 1 finger sling a disc?

Probably only 250 feet, but again, I only ever throw forehand if I'm in big trouble. I feel like I could maybe get out to 300-350 if I could throw full power without turning it into a roller. I have a tendency to roll my wrist once I put too much power.

I use the 2 finger method, mostly fanned out but sometimes condense them together for moar power. Ive tried the powerstack method that seabass shows but it doesnt feel comfy for me. My guess is because i started randomly flicking a dx eagle back in 99 or 00, so i had to learn to finesse the disc due to the changing stability.

There is an upside-down backhand grip that people did until 1990's when the faster more shallow fairway driver discs came out that was like a forehand for those that 100% could not forehand. Even then with faster disc the backwards backhand would work, if you could get enough speed on it for 7-8 speed discs, even some 9 speed.

I only know this due to the new book that Scott Stokely came out with, Growing up disc golf.

There is an upside-down backhand grip that people did until 1990's when the faster more shallow fairway driver discs came out that was like a forehand for those that 100% could not forehand. Even then with faster disc the backwards backhand would work, if you could get enough speed on it for 7-8 speed discs, even some 9 speed.

I only know this due to the new book that Scott Stokely came out with, Growing up disc golf.

I'd rather just backhand a flippy disc....

I'd rather just backhand a flippy disc....

This was before forehand took off players used either a predominately forehand or backhand game and every disc was Neutral or Understable, not a single OS disc from any company making Disc Golf Discs. The Viper and later retooled second style Hammer from Innova were the first OS discs.

This was before forehand took off players used either a predominately forehand or backhand game and every disc was Neutral or Understable, not a single OS disc from any company making Disc Golf Discs. The Viper and later retooled second style Hammer from Innova were the first OS discs.

that should be Phenix and the retooled Hammer from Innova then Discraft with the Eclipse that was just barely OS.

Maybe using the 'f.u.' grip for drives but not others?

Just like backhand throws....use one grip for distance and one grip for accuracy.

With backhand throws, the power grip is used for distance, but has some accuracy loss; the fan grip is used for accuracy, with some power loss.

With forehand throws, the two fingers on the rim for power and two finger fan grip for accuracy. I use a one finger grip on my putters when I need accuracy and very little power.