• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Open carry at a pdga event??

reed2020

Par Member
Is there a rule for whether players are allowed to open carry a gun during a tournament? At one point they pulled it out and pointed it at the sky. I kept waiting for him to pull it out and tell me that it wasn't Nam and that there were rules.... Me and the others on my card were curious if there is a rule? Guessing there probably have not been enough instances to warrant a rule, but thought I'd ask.

Why would anyone be hunting people at a PDGA event? If someone pulls out a gun and pointed it anywhere, I would leave. Quit the tournament, do not pass go, do not collect $200, go directly to my car and drive away. I have no desire to remain in an element where the chance of me getting shot or dying exponentially increased for no reason. If you have the right to carry, all cool. I have the right to be somewhere else. Why the hell would anyone pull out a weapon like that??

Is there a rule for whether players are allowed to open carry a gun during a tournament? At one point they pulled it out and pointed it at the sky. I kept waiting for him to pull it out and tell me that it wasn't Nam and that there were rules.... Me and the others on my card were curious if there is a rule? Guessing there probably have not been enough instances to warrant a rule, but thought I'd ask.

I 100% believe you but my head is still saying that there's no way a guy did this in a tourney.

Why would anyone be hunting people at a PDGA event? If someone pulls out a gun and pointed it anywhere, I would leave. Quit the tournament, do not pass go, do not collect $200, go directly to my car and drive away. I have no desire to remain in an element where the chance of me getting shot or dying exponentially increased for no reason.

Couldn't agree more. Seriously a WTF moment...

Open carry or CCP? Fine. Go for it! But unholstering your weapon in public for any reason other than legitimate self-defense, defense of others, or to show another firearm fan your gear - only in a safe, out of the way location with safety engaged and ammunition removed - us just foolish and asking for trouble.

I played in a tourney once with an off-duty police officer. Handed him his bag at one point and noted how heavy it was, and he let me know it was because he was expected to carry gun and badge at all times. I figured that was cool with me, just sorry he had to lug the extra weight around.

[side story:] It was pretty cool though when I realized that, as an officer of the law, he's also obliged to deal with "lawbreaking" even when off duty. But he was very cool about that: when we got into the deeper part of the woods, he stated fairly loudly (as a public service announcement, so to speak) that there was now a police officer in the woods. I thought that was nice: his day off to enjoy a tourney, better if everyone around knows, if he doesn't see or smell anything, there doesn't have to be a scene. :p

Why would anyone be hunting people at a PDGA event? If someone pulls out a gun and pointed it anywhere, I would leave. Quit the tournament, do not pass go, do not collect $200, go directly to my car and drive away. I have no desire to remain in an element where the chance of me getting shot or dying exponentially increased for no reason. If you have the right to carry, all cool. I have the right to be somewhere else. Why the hell would anyone pull out a weapon like that??

Amen I would be right behind you.

Couldn't agree more. Seriously a WTF moment...

Open carry or CCP? Fine. Go for it! But unholstering your weapon in public for any reason other than legitimate self-defense, defense of others, or to show another firearm fan your gear - only in a safe, out of the way location with safety engaged and ammunition removed - us just foolish and asking for trouble.

This. Nothing wrong with carrying as long as you're in "carryable" place (Not on a school campus, etc). Taking it out like that is irresponsible, stupid, and a total neglect for everyones safety. Its people like that that give everyone else a bad name. I've carried concealed many times on the course. In MA its technically legal to open carry but I wont for a couple reason. 1) Its not socially accepted in MA being such a heavily liberal state and I dont want that kind of attention. 2) Because despite that on a course, open carry would be more comfy, I dont need nor want anyone to know I am. 99% of the time Im carrying, no one around ever knows. And its never once came out of the holster. A buddy wants to see it, I say "later".

Even if you live in a state where open carry is legal, I strongly suspect pulling out the gun and waving it around would be a violation of some law.

Even if you live in a state where open carry is legal, I strongly suspect pulling out the gun and waving it around would be a violation of some law.

100%. MGL C265 S13L regards public endangerment.
"Whoever wantonly or recklessly engages in conduct that creates a substantial risk of serious bodily injury or sexual abuse to a child or wantonly or recklessly fails to take reasonable steps to alleviate such risk where there is a duty to act shall be punished by imprisonment in the house of correction for not more than 21/2 years."

I dont know that there is a law that specifies the unholstering or displaying of a firearm in public. I think the laws violated would be in regards to what the unholstering lead to such as the above - creating a substantial risk. Disorderly conduct might also be violated too.

If you've gotten your CCP, you're taught that if you expose it, you better be in a situation to have to use it. Thankfully the laws regarding that aren't nearly as open to interpretation as the PDGA's rules...

If he was carrying it concealed in his bag without a valid CCP, he should be made to have a discussion with law enforcement.

At one point they pulled it out and pointed it at the sky.

Give more context for what happened. Was he mad about something? Was he showing the gun to someone? Practicing his quick draw? Or just being stupid and pretending to shot up in the air like some drunk cowboy to celebrate a birdie?

My reaction would be different depending on what prompted him to unholster the gun.

Give more context for what happened. Was he mad about something?

He wanted to exact revenge on an offending Iron Leaf. Until he realized that he didn't want to violate any laws or ordinances by brandishing his gun, most notably PDGA Rule 805.05.B, which governs the removal of "casual obstacles to a stance."

He wanted to exact revenge on an offending Iron Leaf. Until he realized that he didn't want to violate any laws or ordinances by brandishing his gun, most notably PDGA Rule 805.05.B, which governs the removal of "casual obstacles to a stance."

Also, the ricochet might have hit him.

Give more context for what happened. Was he mad about something? Was he showing the gun to someone? Practicing his quick draw? Or just being stupid and pretending to shot up in the air like some drunk cowboy to celebrate a birdie?

My reaction would be different depending on what prompted him to unholster the gun.

He was sitting on a bench and was talking about the clouds and pulled it out and pointed it at the clouds. Quite bizarre.

Latest posts