• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

opinion on additions to my bag

If this is the case, the following discs really will do you no good:
Champ beast
2 Dx wriaths
Champ Monarch

They are too fast for the power level you are at right now. You would be better off setting these aside for now.

For drivers that leaves you with:
dx valkyrie
dx Leopard
Champ Leopard
Star Leopard
DX archangel

These are all understable drivers, so there is a lot of overlap with these discs. I'm not quite sure how I would decide what to throw with all these in the bag. I'd recommend keeping the Leopards as your control discs and choose either the Valk or the AA for your distance disc.

I'd also recommend a DX Banshee as an overstable driver. It is handy for forehand shots, thumbers, forehand rollers and other fun stuff. As you improve, you will be able to use it as a headwind driver. Sometimes you just need something overstable.

For midranges you have:
dx Shark
dx roc

These overlap A LOT. Pick one and shelve the other one.

For putts and approaches you have:
Dx avair
dx xd putter

Again, a lot of overlap between these two discs. Pick one.

I think that will allow you to simplify your game. You won't have to spend a lot of time trying to decide between which two or three basically similar discs you want to throw, and you can concentrate more on executing your shots.

Just my $.02.

Excellent advice ... three putt knows his stuff so listen to him ;)
my only difference would be a Teebird rather than the banshee ... Ive tried both and I just like the Tee-bird in my hand better and I like the flight better

Blaming the discs for my form problems didn't help me improve as a player. Once I simplified my bag, I was able to concentrate more on what I was doing rather than what I was throwing.

Amen.

...screw the roc.

Sacrilege! :eek: But seriously, though I am a Roc worshiper, I understand that the disc has attained almost mythical status, and respect your willingness to speak out against it.

Oh, and when you get to hell, say hi to everyone that doesn't call the numbers on found discs. :D

Sacrilege! :eek: But seriously, though I am a Roc worshiper, I understand that the disc has attained almost mythical status, and respect your willingness to speak out against it.

Oh, and when you get to hell, say hi to everyone that doesn't call the numbers on found discs. :D

HAHAH! this had me laughing out loud! :D

Listen to three putt, great advice man. He really knows what he is talking about.

However, I'm going to throw an idea out (not to contradict anyone else). if you decide to put aside your current distance drivers, which is the smart thing to do, I would try throwing a roadrunner. It is a slower speed which will help compensate for a slower arm speed, it has a good deal of glide to extend you're distance, and it is very controllable due to its understable..ness.

Now others might disagree with me on this, but I threw one as my distance driver when I was newer, and it has a permanent place in my bag and is still one of my go-to drivers.

But the best advice I was ever given was to just have fun, keep playing, and spread the sport. Enjoy and good luck.

Last edited:
the teebird would be my recomendation too

I agree unless he wants to throw it forehand. Then I would recommend the banshee. It was the first sidearm disc I used and allowed me to get real comfortable until I eventually went to a firebird. However, I throw BH about 85-90% of the time but originally threw sidearm about 70%.

I agree unless he wants to throw it forehand. Then I would recommend the banshee. It was the first sidearm disc I used and allowed me to get real comfortable until I eventually went to a firebird. However, I throw BH about 85-90% of the time but originally threw sidearm about 70%.
That was actually the thinking, to get him an overstable disc he could throw forehand. With a driver as understable as a Leopard, you kinda need an overstable compliment. The Banshee is really good for that in DX.

The TeeBird is a great driver. Basically the classic foundation to the all-Innova bag is Aviar/Roc/TeeBird/Firebird. You will find those four discs in a lot of players bags. Add in a couple of high-speed drivers and something for a controlled turnover drive and you are set.

Originally Posted by Three Putt
Champ beast
2 Dx wriaths
Champ Monarch
They are too fast for the power level you are at right now. You would be better off setting these aside for now.

dx valkyrie
dx Leopard
Champ Leopard
Star Leopard
DX archangel
These are all understable drivers, so there is a lot of overlap with these discs. I'm not quite sure how I would decide what to throw with all these in the bag. I'd recommend keeping the Leopards as your control discs and choose either the Valk or the AA for your distance disc.

I'd also recommend a DX Banshee as an overstable driver. It is handy for forehand shots, thumbers, forehand rollers and other fun stuff. As you improve, you will be able to use it as a headwind driver. Sometimes you just need something overstable.

For midranges you have:
dx Shark
dx roc

Dx avair
dx xd putter

I think that will allow you to simplify your game. You won't have to spend a lot of time trying to decide between which two or three basically similar discs you want to throw, and you can concentrate more on executing your shots.

Just my $.02.
This is the best advise you have gotten so far. You will never improve your game carrying around 15 discs that have overlapping flight characteristics, you will only get more confused and more inconsistant. When you are deciding what discs to load your bag with, you should carry discs of varying types like;

Overstable-
Driver- Whippett
Midrange- Wasp (I love Discraft's mids)
putter- Pig

Understable-
Driver-Archangel
Mid-Breeze
Putter-Magnet

Straight-
Driver-Leopard
Mid-Buzzz, (or your Roc)
Putter-Aviar

You do not need all of these discs in your bag when you are just begining, but if you are going to load up a bag, think it through, don't just get "Pretty" discs, or discs with cool names. Try to work on discs that are beginner friendly. I know how tempting it can be seeing the biggest arm on your course throwin a Boss 500ft. You want to do that too, but if you don't know control you are just gonna waste money on a disc you will hate.

Also, these disc suggestions are just randomly chosen discs for the sake of example. for researching the world of disc golf discs and accessories, go to:

http://www.discraft.com/home.html
http://www.innovadiscs.com/discs/index.html
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/index.html

These linx will give you suggestions on disc selection, flying tendancies, reviews, and comparrisons of just about any disc ever made.

Finnally, if you want to look into trading the discs you have for the discs you want, look into:
http://www.discaroo.com

Good luck, and definately work on your putting first and foremost.

Champ beast
2 Dx wriaths
Champ Monarch

dx valkyrie
dx Leopard
Champ Leopard
Star Leopard
DX archangel

For midranges you have:
dx Shark
dx roc

Dx avair
dx xd putter

Just my $.02.

Agreed.

I did not improve much until I started only driving with my SE Teebird TL (OOP and similar to a Leopard)

We also played catch with an Aviar for 30min or so before we played. I rarely see players doing this anymore, but it helped me tremendously.

Three Putt is right about giving advice. You can come off sounding like a know it all. I will be the first to say I am always learning and asking questions to the local pros and picking their brain. I think most of us that have been around just see some of the same issues that we dealt with and mistakes that we had made in the past and just want to save you some time, energy and money.

I hope this helps someone. :)

Listen to three putt, great advice man. He really knows what he is talking about.

However, I'm going to throw an idea out (not to contradict anyone else). if you decide to put aside your current distance drivers, which is the smart thing to do, I would try throwing a roadrunner. It is a slower speed which will help compensate for a slower arm speed, it has a good deal of glide to extend you're distance, and it is very controllable due to its understable..ness.

Now others might disagree with me on this, but I threw one as my distance driver when I was newer, and it has a permanent place in my bag and is still one of my go-to drivers.

But the best advice I was ever given was to just have fun, keep playing, and spread the sport. Enjoy and good luck.

^^^ My thoughts as well on this wheat! As an "older/wiser" player I've tried many discs in my time, and to me the Roadrunner is the most beginner friendly backhand disc. Although it actually is a high speed disc I think it's a speed 9 , even if you don't have a lot of arm speed to throw it, it still is a very straight disc, and gives you good distance.

As far as for the post...if/when you do start to try and develop a forehand shot, I'd recommend the teebird. Having both a teebird and a banshee in my bag as forehand discs the teebird does not fade as hard as the banshee and goes much further straight before turning...but that is just my .02 cents!:)

Three putt....you don't come off sounding like a "know it all", I feel we are in the same boat...we've both been playing a while and through experience have come across things that work, and things that didn't. I didn't have resources like this when I was learing, it was trial and error. Now that we have the knowledge, we can pass it on to others!

I picked up a cro and a teebird and a roadrunner and all i can say is they were all excellent suggestions. The cro is amazing for mid range shots i hit two birdies to day out side of 90ft with it at horizon park in nc which to mention is a amazing course. the teebird and roadrunner throw really well also and im throwing 300 consistent now. NBot putting down the roc but my personal opinion is it sucks. Thanks for all the help

I have to say try the Cheetah it is slower than a roadrunner but you can get this out a good 300+ until it wears in. Also Try the Buzzz. It feals diffrent than the Roc does about the same job. Also the New Climo DVD is a good training tool.

Latest posts