• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Option to play one round during tournments

runningDoc

Double Eagle Member
This topic/question probably has been answered or discussed but...

I'd love the option just to play one round of a tournament in an official manner.

I love disc golf but playing PDGA sanctioned tourneys is kind of a bummer for me now because of the time commitment involved. Having to show up early morning then waiting around after a 2nd round for prizes/tags/etc to finish by night time just isn't worth my time now, even when I've cashed.

Having the option to play an official half tourney or one rated round (like how running races offer both 5k/10k or half marathon/full marathon options on race day) would be something I'd love to do.

i understand there are pdga rated league rounds but I specifically would love the option A/B/C tier tournaments offering one round options where I could be in and out in less than 4 hours but still be part of the experience.

I've known people just play 1 day of 2-day tournaments. Sometimes for religious reasons.

If you do, be sure to let the TD know so he can plan ahead.

And think about whether you want to do it in tournaments that fill, in which case you'd be taking the spot of someone who might want to play the whole tournament. You can take the position that you bought the ticket, it's yours to do with what you want. But others may not feel that way.

And think about whether you want to do it in tournaments that fill, in which case you'd be taking the spot of someone who might want to play the whole tournament. You can take the position that you bought the ticket, it's yours to do with what you want. But others may not feel that way.

This is the reason it isn't and will likely never be an official option offered. Tournaments have a finite number of places for players. It would be sub-optimal to take places away from players who desire to play the full tournament to accommodate people who can't or don't want to commit to the full day/weekend.

If you don't want to play the full event, obviously you have the option to withdraw after one round (or one day). That's always been available to every player, no need for special designation. But as David suggests, making a habit of it could earn you some scorn from folks who want to play every round of the tournament but get shut out of registration.

https://www.pdga.com/files/2020_pdga_tour_standards.pdf
Table 1
Minimum number of holes:
NT: 54 holes
A Tier: 54 holes
B Tier: 36 holes
C Tier: 18 holes (36 preferred)

It's totally legal to host a 1-round C Tier, but not very many TDs want to run them that way. Without having a TD run a tournament as one round, feel free to drop out after one round, but don't expect any sympathy points from anyone at the tournament.

Latest posts