• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Orc love?

I carry three orcs in my bag at all times. Pre-flight numbers 160-165 orcs are straight money. I would never buy/throw a new one however...

I love the orc for distance. The flashing is pretty serious on new ones. Just take your disc, put it on some carpeting, apply even pressure on the rim and rotate the disc. It will remove the flashing completely in a matter of seconds and your Orc will be just like the older good ones.

Of course it bombs distance wise, especially if you have smaller hands (if you do, you know). However, my favorite thing about the Orc is how well it flies FH. I don't have the power to flip it over all the way, so it gives me a nice straight flight with a hard right finish. I prefer to anhyzer a stable disc backhand or hyzer flip a understable disc BH for this type of shot. Its been lovely having a sidearm disc that will give me the flight and that doesn't require a high ceiling.

Hey guys, after reading this thread I have found there are people way more into Orcs than I am. I've got a pre #s Orc which I would say it's 7/10 with some ink on the back as you can see. Thought I would like it, but it's not for me. If any of you guys are interested, PM me, I'm sure we can work something out to get this into someone's hands who will enjoy it!

End of thread jack.

Attachments

• orc.jpg
    orc.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 84
The Orc is definitely one of my favorite discs. I had an uber nice, swirly star that I loved but I lost it in the trees one day. It had a split in the rim anyway, so it wasn't PDGA legal. I picked up a dayglow champion to replace it, newer run w/ flight numbers. It had a slight dome and beat into a straght money driver. Held a line for days. But I threw it into my pond and I haven't been able to find it yet. I recently picked up an older run(pre-numbers) pearly, flat topped 169g champ off ebay, and I've been loving that one. It's more flippy than the other champ I had, but it's great for straight hyzer flips or late turnovers. One of the few discs I've seen that flips up straight for ~250ft and then actually fades to the right.

I throw almost all of my drives with a 175 Champion orc. I have one thats about a year old, for long drives/anhyzer/ turnovers. Then I have a new one for big hyzers or fighting head winds. The new mold with lots of flashing doesn't bother me because I already have seasoned Orc's in the bag. I throw a destroyer if there's a serious headwind, otherwise it's the Orc.
10 speed is very comfortable for me. I can throw it smooth and it goes.

I'm like frodo I slay so many orcs. I've probably got more orcs than any other disc. They all have different personalities but at max weight and fresh it is my max distance driver. A bit liter, like 170, then it turns into my line shaper after a bit of wear.

I love Orcs and keep one in the bag even though I moved to a Wraith for primary driving duties. An Orc is the answer to many peoples driving questions.

This is from a previous thread, but it's good Orc info.

I love the Orc. I've tried to replace it and have found nothing that fits my throwing style better.

Orc for me in preference of amazingness:

1. Champ Glow- slightly beefier than regular champs, but always the same. I have found no run to run difference in the Champ Glows which is awesome. Plus for about $3 more it's nice to know what you're getting. I haven't seen any Champ Glows below 170g, but if I found a 167-164g that would be an amazing disc.

2. SB Tulsa- These are very stable, not OS, they beat in very well. They have the grip of star plastic but seem to be much more durable. Plus they're hell a pretty. I do pay the extra cash throw these.

3. Proline- This is the old proline plastic not the new pro plastic. These were without a doubt, the longest flying Orc I have ever had. They were also the most understable Orc (DX not included) I ever had as well. This isn't to say they flipped, they just didn't have as much fade as the others. I found I could use a beat lightweight champ to get similar distance at about half the price. It was also difficult to find ones that were the same durability, some were tougher, and some were ver soft. Blues were best IMO.

4. Champ- Just the regular champ Orcs are hard to beat. Easy to find, easy to replace very predictable. If you don't want to get into all the different versions the Champ is probably the best bet, take a while to break-in and hangs on to it's ending fade for a long time.

5. Old Pearly Champ-These are nice and gummy, and look and fly very close to the old Beast. I found that the plastic feels great, but there wasn't, at least for me, a $10-20 difference in the way they flew from regular champs. Other people will strongly disagree with me on this, and you should get their opinions as well.

6. Star-This has been the only disc that, for me, seemed to fly more OS in Star than it did in champ. Even the lighter ones were beefier than I expected them to be. I found that to be a good solid disc, but with so many Orc variations there were better options out there IMO. If you are playing in the cold with lots of snow a Star would be a nice addition.

7. Pro-This is the new pro plastic. It flies far and flies well. It also beats up quickly, like within 2-3 rounds playing on hard ground or woods. Lends itself well to an understable version of the Orc, but after a while you have to start the process over. I perfer to just use a different disc for that kind of slot.

2,340. DX- Great Water Disc. Line up and chuck that sucker right into the water. This is the disc I find the most, the disc I give away the most. They fly well up to one tree hit, then they seem to loose some to all of their stability. I would not recommend a DX Orc, ever.

The only Orc that I have not put in there is the Nightshift because I have never had the guts to throw one. I got my hands on one a couple years ago and turned into Gollum. All I wanted to do was hold, "my precious." I had to sell it and save myself. Although those that do throw the Nightshift, say it's definately more OS than all the other Orcs, and is a money disc. It will also cost you quite a bit of money as well.

I am by no mean the best Orc expert, but I support this message. Paid for by "Orcs to the Whitehouse Movement"

I'm an Orc thrower too, and I like em brand new and overstable. If I want a flippy disc I prefer something that is reliably flippy right out of the box.

I think PDGA allows to remove flashing by whatever means necessary, because it is a molding imperfection and not part of the disc design. A couple swipes with very fine sandpaper and it is gone.

One reason I like Orcs (Star or Champ) is the rim width. It feels same as a whole series of drivers that cover all kinds of shots. I use RR, Valk, Beast, Orc, Starfire, all in Star plastic, in order of increase from under to overstability. Having similar rim width on all of them helps my consistency.

I agree Orcs are good for spike hyzers. Also I find them really useful for playing skip shots under low ceilings.

I am by no mean the best Orc expert, but I support this message. Paid for by "Orcs to the Whitehouse Movement"

Jdw thanks for the info there I love my champ orcs but I've never explored my plastic choices.

And ihearchains I do the same thing with my road runner- for rollers and valk- for big air turns.

I got a question - when people feel like they graduate off orcs - what's the next disc? I hear wraith?

The Orc was for a while the de facto 'tweener driver for people that didn't quite have the ability to throw Wraiths, Destroyers, and later Bosses. Surge and Wraith are probably the most logical step up from an Orc IMO.*

*not including any newfangled Scandinavian discs I don't have any experience with. ;)

Yes I use Wraiths also, but it's only a little wider rim so its not that much of an adjustment. Gives me a little better D but not as much control as the Orc, Beast, etc. But I don't think its required that people have to "graduate" from speed 9-11 drivers, just use them for different purposes.

Last edited:
i played Carousel on sunday and decided to give the Orc a throw... Im now a big fan of the Orc. Earlier in the round i tried my Leopard for the longer holes and was disappointed. i gave it to my friend that was playing with me since he lost his distance driver on 4... pulled out the Orc and couldnt believe the D I was getting...

i was hoping to narrow my bag down to Discraft only, but this Innova disc has a solid home in my bag from now on!!

I got a question - when people feel like they graduate off orcs - what's the next disc? I hear wraith?

There's serveral next discs that are very similar to the Orc that people like to transition too. Wraith/Surge, Starfire, Destroyer, Krait, Flow, DD, Avenger, and my personal favorite, the Sword. All have similar feel to the Orc.

The PD is probably the closest thing to an Orc, in terms of flight and speed. It's a little easier to control, but my Orcs have more distance potential without the extra umph, it takes on the PD. OLF is probably the next closest, once again great disc, similar flight, but slightly more stable than the Orcs. I will say that the PD and OLF do power down better than the Orcs do, so if you are looking for a control driver that will also act as a fairway driver, I would suggest the PD then the OLF.

I will say this, I have stepped up to several of the discs suggested and found that unless the shot really required something different in the way of lines formed, I found my Orc was nearly as far as the others, with just a touch more control.

The one thing that I will caution people on, in regards to the Orc, is that if you are putting them on a S, they have a tendancy to turn more than the PD or OLF will. They still come back, but I've had some very close OB calls because of this.

On a whim I picked up a pearly, gummy Orc on eBay and man am I in love. This is the longest disc I have thrown so far and been able to control. I was overthrowing holes I had only parked on my best days. Even the guys I normally play with were pretty impressed. No I'm on the hunt for a few more of these pearly beauties.