• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] orcs vs. wraiths

orc vs wraith

• Total voters
mmmm Orcs. Just started throwing the older Pro-Line ones. Super tacky and grippy, they just bomb. I also love the older, flat, pearly champion Orcs, they just do so much....

I never play a round without one....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdabbs
If you throw less than 300 then you don't need anything that even remotely resembles an orc or a wraith.

I would argue if you're throwing less than 300 the Orc is too much disc for you in the first place. I throw 350-400 and while I can pull a little more distance out of faster drivers nothing offers the control and distance combined of an Orc for me.

The orc is the farthest flying disc for me. I had a katana that wouldnt even come close. The wraith is too much for me. I could hyzer flip my beat orc 350+

The Wraith gets it done for me. It's beaten in to a point where I can just focus on accuracy when I throw and it will fly perfectly. If I step up the power, it becomes a roller. It's a five year old DX Wraith.

Champion Pearly orc is my best driver. I can put that thing usually where I want it except in a very stiff head wind. (I haven't had much luck with the other orcs but would love to try the "older" Pro-Orc) I really struggle with the "too much disc for me comments" because I can only throw this thing a little over 300 feet but it flies so predictable for me (It doesn' meathook at all). I just got a Pro Wraith two weeks ago and I like it. I have to have really good form using it to prevent a meathook but yesterday just had the longest drive I ever had on a particular hole that went about 30 feet longer than my orc on that hole to about 350 feet (slight downhill). In my head, I am really thinking about after a year and half of using my pearly orc to upgrade (or at least put in my bag) to a Pro Wraith, and even though the experts would say the Orc is too much disc and ask me to throw a putter 350 ft first the pro wraith is def giving me more distance.

I found a pretty beat Champ. Wraith with no name on it last summer. I love this disc, even thought it's green and blends in with the grass pretty well (probably why the original owner lost it).

I got an Orc in the DGCR Secret Santa, but haven't yet thrown it--too much snow to go out and do field work.

How are you going to say the Orc is too much for someone throwing 300? Can an orc go 300 predictably? Yes. So it can work for someone throwing that far. Is it THE most effective choice? Probably not but that doesn't mean it isn't the disc for someone throwing 300. Where do you draw the line? I have seen pros throw rocs and even putters 400+. Does that mean I should only throw my aviar for anything 400 and down? Of course not.

I like both..I have 2 Champion Orc and Star, 2 DX and Pro Wraith..but I like the Pro Wraith best.

other: the wahoo

You're a wahoo. :| :p

Wraith. I've given the Orc a bit of a shot (although I haven't ruled it out definitively yet) and the Wraith just does more for me.

I throw beat-in Star Wraiths. Gotta get 'em seasoned, just right.
I have a cylce of Wraiths in the bag just like Rocs.

How are you going to say the Orc is too much for someone throwing 300? Can an orc go 300 predictably? Yes. So it can work for someone throwing that far. Is it THE most effective choice? Probably not but that doesn't mean it isn't the disc for someone throwing 300. Where do you draw the line? I have seen pros throw rocs and even putters 400+. Does that mean I should only throw my aviar for anything 400 and down? Of course not.

good stuff

kinda the same but different just the same.

For me, i learned with the orc. It was the first disc i really got flat, long and consistent.

Then i moved up to the wraith and it felt very similar but went farther.

I like and speak highly of both, but as i've grown and progressed i've outgrown both. I can think of both as the perfect backup disc, as i carried a wraith as my backup FH and BH driver of choice. (orc would be just the same.)

I've worked with the orc as a Firebird substitute (Fairway distance FH driver) and had good results.

in the end..... the elimination always comes down to
Extra Distance vs. Lost Control (accuracy).

for me.
Orc lost to the wraith.
wraith lost to the destroyer
boss lost to the destroyer.
katana lost to the destroyer (and now has snuck back with very specific purposes)

IMHO, sadly, a disc like the orc was (probably) amazing when it first came out (BMT), but with subsequent disc releases has been made slightly irrelevant. Great noob disc and compliment to a Valk.

(Distance Progression) Valk -> Orc -> Wraith -> Destroyer <STOP> -> Katana -> Boss / Nuke
(Turnover Progression) Valk -> Roadrunner -> Sidewinder -> Beast -> Katana / Favorite OS disc turned to "slightly flippy".

Gotten away from using either but if I had to pick, Wraith, I liked them for forehands.

well, hello Jukeshoe. someone was trying to give away a Groove, did they PM you? cause i told them to.

They must've thought it was a joke. Alas, no PM. :D

I appreciate the thought, though. :D

Latest posts