• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Oregon Course question, what to play?

lion

I'm feeling frisky.
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Below is a list of courses I have already played in Oregon. Please recommend 3-5 must play courses I have yet to play in Oregon please. I will be in Oregon in August and would like to play a few courses that are good. What am I missing?

Already played list:

Oregon
Adair Park
Bryant Park
Dabney State Park
Dexter Park DGC
Horning's Hideout - Canyon Course
Horning's Hideout - Highland Course
Horning's Hideout - Meadow Ridge
Jerry Miller DGC @ Camp Taloali
Milo McIver State Park (Riverbend DGC)
Pier Park
Timber Park
Tom Pearce Park
Trojan Park
Waterloo DGC
Whistler's Bend
Willamette Park

16 Course(s)

Of those i've played that I would recommend that aren't on your list, I would say L.L. Stub Stewart is a must play. Just west of Horning's.

Blue Lake Regional is a must - will be the hub of 2014 Pro Worlds. In Eugene area play North Regional in Cottage Grove and the new Alton Baker in Eugene ($3).

You should also play Feldberg-designed gold-levelBlue Lake. Opened last August.

I've heard good things about a new course Further out 84 called Cascade Locks. (I haven't played it)

Hey there forehand!

Last edited:
If you are going to blue lake rooster rock is just up the freeway, not the greatest but worth playing if you are in the neighborhood.

Cascade locks is marginal at best. Stubb and Blue Lake are great suggestions. If you choose to head up the Columbia River Gorge, you may as well cross the the Bridge of the Gods($1.00) and hit up North Bonneville DGC. Very fun course with beautiful surroundings. Hit me up with a PM is you head this way and I will show you around.

Blue Lake and Stub Stewart are must plays.

North Regional Park is a very solid course and quick to get to off of I-5. It's just south of Eugene, so it's probably on your way to anywhere you're going when you're traveling from California to Oregon.

Hyzer Pines and Wilder DGC are great courses but they're both outside of the valley, so they will probably be a bit out of the way. Definitely play them if you get the chance though.

I have only been to Cascade Locks during the first week it opened. It is laid out to be a very challenging high level course when the wind is blowing. But as it is right now, the heavy winds of the area and rough vegetation mean you might want to put this course off until some further clearing gets done.

Finally, I really love Keizer Rapdis, which is also fairly easy to get to from I-5. However, I've been hearing some reports of heavy poison ivy out there right now. It definitely plays better in the fall/winter when the vegetation thins out.

I know I'm gonna be swimming against the current on this one, but I'm gonna have to advise against Stub Stewart. Unless you REALLY, REALLY like tunnel holes, like all 18 of them, you'll get tired of this course quickly. I just went back there this past weekend, I'd gone a year ago and was left with a bad taste in my mouth, but the weather was really crappy, so I didn't want that to be tainting my opinion.

The weather was really nice this weekend, but I still walked away mentally drained, and slightly pissed. I don't mind a couple really great tunnel holes during a round, but to have nearly EVERY hole completely dictated to you, blehhhh..... And there are some really great, great holes, but the entirety of 18 holes of tunnel....

If you can find someone to show you around, I'd recommend Frog Creek, outside of Ashland. It is an object course with natural tees, but the design is probably one of, if not the best I've played, and the biodiversity of the trees around there is incredible. It's just a really unique, fun, challenging course, if you can get over throwing at tone poles.

Also in the area, Lake Selmac was pretty fun, not on the same level as the Milos or Hornings, but fun nonetheless.

If you do make it over to the dry side, Bachelor is SUPER fun, but like TempleofDoom states above, it'll eat your plastic (and your confidence). Hyzer Pines is fun, but unless you're already planning on being in the area, it's not worth the drive over the hills.

Sorosis Park in The Dalles is a surprisingly nice course.

I just played Cascade Locks for the first time this past weekend, holy wind! I didn't get to finish out cause it seemed like my dog was tired of walking on the blackberry bush limbs that were littered throughout the course.

Also, you could try Alton Baker in Eugene and North Regional Park in Cottage Grove.

I haven't played either, but I noticed they're not on your list....

Sorosis is a fun little course. Would be a fun day trip in which you could hit a few different courses. Truly though, unless you're just trying to hit course new to you, I would play Milo, Blue Lake, Hornings and Pier again. Those courses never let you down and are in relative close proximity to one another.

If you'd like to get out to the coast, there's Wilder outside Newport. You might want to check out the reviews, and be sure to play with a group so you'll have spotters, but it is one of the few courses on the Oregon Coast.

For sure play,
Whistlers
Milo(timber is a few miles away and was fun)
Hornings
Dabney
Pier Park
Adair and Bryant had some fun holes.
Blue Lake was just finished and it didn't really fit into the scheldule, but plan on playing it next fall.

I know I'm gonna be swimming against the current on this one, but I'm gonna have to advise against Stub Stewart. Unless you REALLY, REALLY like tunnel holes, like all 18 of them, you'll get tired of this course quickly.

That is why I really love this course. I would probably dislike it if it were the only course in the area, but it's so much more technical than anything else in Oregon. I love going out there for a day, throwing a lot of putters, mids, and understable drivers and just work on throwing smooth and hitting lines. It's a real change of pace, and in my opinion, addition to Oregon's great lineup of courses.

I just played Cascade Locks for the first time this past weekend, holy wind! I didn't get to finish out cause it seemed like my dog was tired of walking on the blackberry bush limbs that were littered throughout the course.

I didn't want to admit it, but I think that course was the first time I voluntarily walked off a course before finishing. I threw one to many hyzer lines with my XCaliber that flipped up and finished 80 feet to the right in the middle of blackberries.

If they do some more clearing and maintenance that will be an epic place to battle the wind. However, that much wind on a raw course was not exactly my idea of fun.

You really should play L.L. Stub, you just need to bring some friends/spotters with you. Shoot me a message if you are looking for people to play that course with.

That is why I really love this course. I would probably dislike it if it were the only course in the area, but it's so much more technical than anything else in Oregon. I love going out there for a day, throwing a lot of putters, mids, and understable drivers and just work on throwing smooth and hitting lines. It's a real change of pace, and in my opinion, addition to Oregon's great lineup of courses.

I totally agree that it's very unique, and the technical challenge is pretty cool. It's just hole after hole of tunnel, especially with all the ferns. UGH! I hate the ferns. If they could just clear out 15-20 ft of undergrowth for fairways, I think it would be a much better experience, but it just sucks having to search for your disc (even when using spotters) nearly EVERY HOLE because of a shot that didn't land on the 4 ft wide path.

To each their own.

I didn't want to admit it, but I think that course was the first time I voluntarily walked off a course before finishing. I threw one to many hyzer lines with my XCaliber that flipped up and finished 80 feet to the right in the middle of blackberries.

If they do some more clearing and maintenance that will be an epic place to battle the wind. However, that much wind on a raw course was not exactly my idea of fun.

Yeah, I actually like the idea of using a couple small patches of blackberry bushes almost like bunkers, but there were a couple holes were it was bordering almost the entire fairway.

And hole number 5, dumb. Standing on a bluff, you have to throw out about 80 feet, then take a 90 (maybe even more ) degree left hand turn. DUMB! So maybe I'm a little butthurt that I lost my favorite Drone in the tree directly in front of the tee, right where you're supposed to make your left turn, yeah, DUMB!

It's also hard to really let yourself find anything to like when you see more than half the course is commercial property for sale. Don't want to fall in love, then come back the next year to find a new business right where your favorite hole used to be.

The wind was fun though.

Latest posts