• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

OTB Lawsuit Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rumor was that there would be some women dropping from the event due to the decision. Only significant one I see missing is Hokom but I don't know if she was registered prior (Finns are back in Finland currently).

It doesn't surprise me that it is being appealed. If the ruling stands, California's ruling could be used in other states. I would expect other states to start making rules (if they haven't already) that will supercede/block this from being successful elsewhere.

While I hope for Natalie to perform well at the OTB, it would be in her best interest to not place high. Then that would be more evidence showing she doesn't have an advantage by being born male and that is what the "other side" seems to base things on - without any proof.

Rumor was that there would be some women dropping from the event due to the decision. Only significant one I see missing is Hokom but I don't know if she was registered prior (Finns are back in Finland currently).

Doesn't surprise me. Try to influence a decision/ruling by saying a bunch of competitors would drop out if the case was won by Natalie....but when 'push comes to shove' nothing happens because the competitors really weren't going to drop; they just wanted to threaten it.

While I hope for Natalie to perform well at the OTB, it would be in her best interest to not place high. Then that would be more evidence showing she doesn't have an advantage by being born male and that is what the "other side" seems to base things on - without any proof.

One thing I know for certain. Natalie will not tank her performance to appease others.

One thing I know for certain. Natalie will not tank her performance to appease others.

Yeah, I don't expect her to 'tank' and didn't mean to imply that. Poorly worded on my part; let me try better.

I meant that if she ended up not placing high due to the competition, the course, and not being able to participate in other majors....so basically play her best and end up not winning/placing... it would go further to show she doesn't have an advantage. I think if she wins, regardless of how close it is, DGPT will use that against her in the appeal to claim it shows she had an advantage.

There were 47 players in FPO prior to yesterday's ruling, there are currently 48 listed on the event page including Natalie. I don't think Hokom was registered.

Looking at the live scoring, there are 48 players. If they are planning on boycotting or dropping, it doesn't appear to have happened yet.

What are the chances DGN shows any Natalie shots at all? 1st card seldom if ever gets any footage.

They've shown her quite a bit. They sent her card out early on, so she's up near the top (and may be at the top once the round is done...but it was fairly predictable with her going out early that she'd likely be somewhere near the top after playing quite a few more holes than a lot of the other top women).

I've already seen some online comments about people being angry that DGN is showing her at all. I'm not sure what people want DGN to do though given DGN & DGPT are essentially the same. She's suing them for discrimination...they would show anyone else in her position who was in the lead. What are they doing to do? Openly discriminate against her on coverage while in the midst of a lawsuit about whether they're discriminating against her?

Just logic that someone from the first cards could have the lead in the F9 before the top players has even started. . but i dont think i have seen a camera follow that first card before.
I think DGN is trying to be smart

Players talk about avoiding the west coast swing because the expense isn't worth it.

So FPO players threatening to drop just doesn't make sense.

Why pay for the travel and housing to throw away the opportunity to recoup some of those costs?

If the ruling stands, California's ruling could be used in other states.

No, that's not how it would work. This ruling is based on the California Unruh Civil Rights Act (California Civil Code Section 51). The only other state I'm aware of that has similar protections is Minnesota.

No, that's not how it would work. This ruling is based on the California Unruh Civil Rights Act (California Civil Code Section 51). The only other state I'm aware of that has similar protections is Minnesota.

I was thinking more of the judge's ruling....basically, that the evidence provided by the tour did not show that a transgendger disc golfer has any advantage over CIS-females.

That is the argument that the majority of "anti-transgender" folks seem to be using to ban transgender females from playing in female sports.

Surprised to see that the TRO itself was appealed and PDGA/DGPT has been asked the appeals court to respond by 5pm PST today. The appeal likely relies primarily on the insufficient notice given by the plaintiff.

I was thinking more of the judge's ruling....basically, that the evidence provided by the tour did not show that a transgendger disc golfer has any advantage over CIS-females.

That is the argument that the majority of "anti-transgender" folks seem to be using to ban transgender females from playing in female sports.

My apologies for assuming incorrectly, and you make an interesting point (that I clearly hadn't considered)

Follow up - the DGPT and PDGA are appealing the TRO and trying to get a stay on it. It's possible any boycott or protest is on hold pending the result of that.

Then again, could be that rumors of boycotts by the players were just rumors by people hoping they would do that rather than play.

https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2023...-for-appeal-on-thursdays-ruling-in-ryan-case/

My apologies for assuming incorrectly, and you make an interesting point (that I clearly hadn't considered)

It's all good. I re-read my comment and saw how I wasn't clear on what I was saying. A case of "I know what I was saying, I just didn't say it the way I meant it".

So, I just turned on the FPO coverage on youtube. They covered Natalie in the opening and Jeff Spring commented on the situation.

His main point was everybody needs to be respectful.

So, I just turned on the FPO coverage on youtube. They covered Natalie in the opening and Jeff Spring commented on the situation.

His main point was everybody needs to be respectful.

Well, his initial point was they disagree with the ruling, have appealed the ruling and stand by the "11 peer reviewed documents" that the initial decision was made upon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts