• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

To FORE Or Not To FORE?

I was hit in the foot warming up for a tournament. I never thought much of it because I always careful but I was wearing headphones walking to pick up my discs. Now I keep one bud out till I get back to the tee. I think that tournaments are probably the most likely place for something like this to happen.

I was hit in the shoulder while playing with our regular crew this last weekend. The guy had throw past the basket about 60ft and I was just short about 20ft to the right. I reach down and pick up my disc and as Im standing back up I hear FORE. Of course I look in his direction to see if it's me thats about to be hit. All i saw was a white blur coming straight at my head and was lucky enough to dodge the face hit. Just like always though he said if he wouldn't have yelled it would have went straight over me while I was picking up my disc. I gotta practice the auto duck and cover.

A lot of public parks with dg courses have signs that warn people of flying discs. Whether you're playing dg or on a picnic with the kiddies, if the park has a dg course, you should be wary of flying plastic.

One of my local courses plays in the woods near an apartment complex. It is a seldom used series of walking trails. There are signs scattered throughout the course that say:

"Beware of flying objects"

If you think about it, the more compact nature of disc golf courses compared to ball golf courses makes some type of verbal warning that much more important in our game.

I've been told that some lady at Sunset Park got hit in the face, and it broke her cheek bone, but that was before I started playing.

Funny you mention that. We had a discussion on this same topic of yelling "Fore!" when that happened.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8480

I have never understood why they yell "Heads up" at baseball games when that is exactly the opposite of what you should do
It is a strange choice of terms, but I've always interpreted it to mean "pay attention" (which far too many folks at baseball games don't do). If you've got your eye on the ball the whole time, its hardly any danger.

But there's a little problem I have with specifically yelling "Fore!". Its a term golfers use, and only golfers are going to know what to do when they hear it (well, most of the time). Unfortunately, many of our courses are in mutli-use parks, and those non players aren't going to be too savvy on how to react when they hear it, therefore if your errant throw is heading towards a pack of non-players, I'd suggest something more generic, yet still alarming like...

I prefer to shout "Incoming!"

I mean, we've all watched a few shelling scenes from war movies haven't we? Also, that term works good for other circumstances like baseball games, tree pruning, the 4th of July, etc.

To all you people saying he should have yelled fore, I take it you didn't read the article. The dude was 15-20 feet away that got hit. I don't think it's even possible to process the trajectory of the ball and have "fore" come out of your mouth within 20 feet of flight. Obviously, he shouldn't have shot with the guy in front of him, but at the same time the guy (on the same card) shouldn't have been walking in front of him.

Last edited:
To all you people saying he should have yelled fore, I take it you didn't read the article. The dude was 15-20 feet away that got hit. I don't think it's even possible to process the trajectory of the ball and have "fore" come out of your mouth within 20 feet of flight. Obviously, he shouldn't have shot with the guy in front of him, but at the same time the guy (on the same card) shouldn't have been walking in front of him.

1,000,000% this

At Miami University's course they often have a lot of "good looking" foot traffic during the school year. So my buddy and I would always play $5 hits for good looking ladies and minus $5 hits for anything else. Needless to say we both broke even, because we didn't want to hurt anyone and our aim wasn't very good at the time. Also from 200-400 ft. it is very easy to make a mistake on looks, so we were careful.

I appreciate when someone yells fore. Not because its safer, just because it doesn't freak me out as much. I was trying to shake a disc out of a tree when a long and powerful Roc drive was cut short of the basket by a tree. It literally hit the spot where my head was moments before. With some velocity behind it. If they would have yelled fore, I would have been way less spooked.

hitting people with discs

Just woundering if others have hit people with discs storys and discs me I have hit a few 1 was a nuke 1 a riptide

Are there rules that apply to this or do you just take a re throw. And I forget who has it as a quote but yes I have hit someone with a roller.

Some of the guys I play with have a bad habit of not paying not paying attention to throwing order (which most often prevents such issues). I told the fellow to move and he said "I'm not worried, you won't hit me." I said okay... tried to throw around him but ended up beaning him in the back with a FH throw with a star monster....

another time did the same thing to the same guy but hit him in the jaw...

luckily my FH doesn't have a lot of snap or power...

Nuke hit was at great blue heiring in norwalk wasn't funny it was a kid ran out in front when I tried the spining type throw

I have never hit anyone, but I have a freind who has! We were playing New Lenox before they redesigned it. You used to have to throw around the pavillion. He launched one into the pavillion (unintetionally) and hit some poor old lady attending a party on her leg! Thankfully she wasn't seriously injured. His wife nailed a guy in the face one time and broke his nose! They used to get pissed and throw if they thought people were taking to long or wouldn't let them play through. Trust me, this was never my policy, I always tried to talk them out of it.

Oh word. Blue Heron is a tight course.

Thought you may have been a guy on my card at the Black Friday Doubles. Dude ripped a drive that dipped behind a blind corner with a Nuke. We all yelled "FOUR!" just in case and some huge ass dude comes storming around the blind corner cussing up a storm because it hit him right in the chest when he looked back hearing our "four". When will people learn? You don't turn around and look up when you hear "four" you cover the back of your damn head and face away. Shouldn't take half of your teeth getting knocked out to learn that lesson.

Latest posts