• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

To FORE Or Not To FORE?

TalbotTrojan

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I found an interesting article today about a court case in New York. (More thoughts and questions after the article). It reads:

Court upholds dismissal of 'Fore' suit

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP)
Slices, hooks and other errant shots are a common hazard on the links and a golfer can't expect to get a warning shout of ''Fore!'' every time a ball comes his way, New York's top court ruled Tuesday in dismissing a personal injury lawsuit.

Dr. Anoop Kapoor and Dr. Azad Anand were playing on a nine-hole Long Island course in October 2002 when Anand was hit in the head while looking for his ball on a fairway, blinding him in one eye. The seven judges on the state Court of Appeals, siding with lower courts, said Kapoor's failure to yell in advance of his errant shot from the rough did not amount to intentional or reckless conduct.

The court cited a judge's finding that Anand was not in the foreseeable zone of danger and, as a golfer, consented to the inherent risks of the sport.

''The manner in which Anand was injured - being hit without warning by a 'shanked' shot while one searches for one's own ball - reflects a commonly appreciated risk of golf,'' the judges wrote.

They also broadly outlined the test under New York case law for determining when another golfer crosses the line and could be sued.

''A person who chooses to participate in a sport or recreational activity consents to certain risks'' that are inherent to that activity, the judges wrote. ''However, a plaintiff 'will not be deemed to have assumed the risks of reckless or intentional conduct or concealed or unreasonably increased risks.'''

Anand, a neuroradiologist, was unable to work after he was hit by Kapoor's sliced shot, said Steven Cohn, Anand's attorney. Cohn argued that the case should not be dismissed without a trial, that the foreseeable zone of danger differs with the skill of the golfer and there were disputed questions of fact in this case.

Calls to Cohn and Kapoor's attorney, William Hartlein, were not immediately returned Tuesday.

The men, frequent golf partners, were playing at the Dix Hills Park Golf Course with another friend, Balram Verma, in 2002, according to court papers. After hitting a second shot on the first hole, each set off to find his ball.

Anand testified that he was hit as soon as he found his ball and turned around, about 15 to 20 feet away from Kapoor.

Verma testified that Anand was about 20 feet away from Kapoor and about 50 degrees away from the intended line of flight for Kapoor's shot.

Kapoor testified that Anand was farther away and at an angle of 60 to 80 degrees. He said he shouted the warning when he realized the ball was headed toward Anand. Neither friend said he heard it.

According to the British Golf Museum, the term ''fore'' may have come from forecaddie, meaning someone employed to go ahead of players to see where their balls land. In his 1881 ''The Golfer's Handbook,'' Robert Forgan wrote that a golfer shouts the word ''to give the alarm to anyone in his way.''

You can read it on the web page it came from by clicking here.

Disc Golf seems to be similar yet unique from this scenario, mostly because there are usually people not playing Disc Golf on Disc Golf courses since they typically share park space. So, the question then is, what do we need to do as disc golfers when it comes to warning others of an errant throw? Also, should this not be a warning to us about when we are able to throw our discs?

If in doubt, bellow it out.

FORE!!!!!!

Here's an idea: stay behind the person until he shoots.

Since almost hitting someone one time, I am very cautious when it comes to throwing my drives. I make sure noone is in the intended line of flight, or, if throwing an anhyzer shot, noone is in a straight path from the tee. (that is what happened before, disc went perfectly straight, when I expected it to curve) Also, if there is even the slightest chance someone could be hit after I threw, I yell "fore". Just in case, because better safe than sorry.

But doesn't yelling "fore" make people "look" in the direction the shout came from. I would rather be hit in the back of the head then in the face.

A lot of public parks with dg courses have signs that warn people of flying discs. Whether you're playing dg or on a picnic with the kiddies, if the park has a dg course, you should be wary of flying plastic.

But doesn't yelling "fore" make people "look" in the direction the shout came from. I would rather be hit in the back of the head then in the face.
yeah, but getting hit in the face is actually less dangerous. Don't get me wrong, you could break your nose, or even your teeth,

but a driver to the back of the neck could potentially kill or paralyze you.

I've been hit, but luckily it was in the arm and the guy throwing was a noob with not much power. It could have been a lot worse.

I've been hit twice now, and one was a driver to the back of my calf that broke skin. It looked nasty for a few days. I've been told that some lady at Sunset Park got hit in the face, and it broke her cheek bone, but that was before I started playing.

I think it is improtant to yell fore, but what happens when one yells fore is that the other players reaction is to look back in the direction of the tee, thus setting themselves open to getting clocked right in the face. I will always yell it and when I hear it, I just duck out of the way a bit. Even if you yell fore, you can still hit another player, so yes it is an assumed risk whenever you are out on the course.

I think it is improtant to yell fore, but what happens when one yells fore is that the other players reaction is to look back in the direction of the tee, thus setting themselves open to getting clocked right in the face. I will always yell it and when I hear it, I just duck out of the way a bit. Even if you yell fore, you can still hit another player, so yes it is an assumed risk whenever you are out on the course.

That is certainly not my reaction. I hear fore and I cover my head and turn away from the yell.

I have never understood why they yell "Heads up" at baseball games when that is exactly the opposite of what you should do

when i hear a "FORE!", i've been known to cover the back of my neck and nearly hit the deck like i'm being shelled with artillery, but usually i just put my head down and duck a little.

I always yell unless I have a group of DB's in front of me that don't yell clear and I can't tell after waiting some time. There are times that you have to teach people a lesson and drop the hammer. Course courtesy people. If you can't yell clear on a blind hole knowing people are waiting you deserve to get hit.

I always yell unless I have a group of DB's in front of me that don't yell clear and I can't tell after waiting some time. There are times that you have to teach people a lesson and drop the hammer. Course courtesy people. If you can't yell clear on a blind hole knowing people are waiting you deserve to get hit.

Have you ever wondered if people even know about yelling clear? Maybe asking them to yell clear would be a better alternative to "drop[ping] the hammer?"

Some points to reflect on. ;)

so your idea of dropping the hammer is throwing a golf disc into a blind area not knowing where the people are? what if they walked right over the hill/out of the blind area/whatever to go to the next tee as you did this? maybe one had a disc roll down a hill or they lost one and had to look for it. bad form

Well I should have clarified that this is after asking the group to call clear and still not having them call it. Or waiting 10-15 mins only to find out they walked away after 5 mins. Usually this is done with groups of "regulars" that have full bags and such. Guys walking in flip flops and 2 discs with the gf only walking and not playing usually don't count in these groups until they have been asked numerous times and still don't call clear.

And yes I do classify myself as a D.H. sometimes but if that is what it takes to teach someone common courtesy then so be it.

Well I should have clarified that this is after asking the group to call clear and still not having them call it. Or waiting 10-15 mins only to find out they walked away after 5 mins. Usually this is done with groups of "regulars" that have full bags and such. Guys walking in flip flops and 2 discs with the gf only walking and not playing usually don't count in these groups until they have been asked numerous times and still don't call clear.

That suxxors. :\

I was playing at my local course the other day and some dude and his lady were in the middle of the fairway i was trying to tee off on. I waited on the pair to move along, but they just kept standing there looking down at the ground. I yelled fore to them to try to get them to get the point that they were in my way , but they just ignored me. They were only about 220' away, and I yelled loud, so I know that they heard me. I repeated again, and yet again they ignored me. I yelled to them that I was trying to tee off, and that they were in my way. They ignored me again! So I said screw it, and threw. I knew that there was a slim chance that I was going to hit them, but the possibility was still there. As I threw they finally started to walk off. My shot started its fade, and landed about thirty or forty feet in front of them. Then they turn around and look at me. Dude tries to make like he is a tough guy and asks me what the hell I thought I was doing. At this point I am still 210' to 220' away. I said in a normal speaking voice, " playing golf dumbass". He says, " Who you calling dumbass"? I respond ,"Oh now you can hear me, I yelled fore to you three times, and I yelled once that I was driving, and you acted like you never heard me, I say dumbass softly and all the sudden you have the hearing of Superman". He turns and mutters something under his breath to her that I cant hear and walks off. I holler out after him," Hey Clark Kent, this is a disc golf course and when people are trying to warn you that you are in the way, you might want to pay attention. These things can break you and Lois's jaw".
He once again ignores me!

Good album.

album-fore.jpg

That suxxors. :\

True it does but out of the limited times our group did it, the group in front (not hitting anyone or really coming close) made a comment and we simply said "Well we asked you to call clear didn't we?" and they learned their lesson. We have even come across the same groups days later and heard them calling clear on every hole even if no one was there.

Just think of it as burning your hand on the stove. Your parents may have told you numerous times to not go near it when they were cooking but it took you getting a small burn to learn your lesson.

Latest posts