• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

To FORE Or Not To FORE?

I played a quick 9 by myself yesterday. Get up to #13 to tee and can see a group sitting on #14's tee. I play #13 and fix a chain that had popped out. Group still on #14's tee, now wrestling with each other. Walk over to 14. They get up and tee off. I wait, they clear and go to #15. I finish #14. Guy had thrown over the fence so they let me play through. I say thanks, tee off. They don't walk with me, so I play the hole. I shoot my putt, turn to get my bag, and get nailed in the lower leg by a disc! They let me play through only to throw on me before I was clear! And no Fore or Heads Up. This is not a blind hole either. I wait on #16's tee. They stop midway through #15, wave another group through, then proceed to leave. A group of 4 hits me, then leaves rather than getting a conversation about it. Awesome.

No matter where your shot goes, if it's off the hole or there are people or the potential for people, Yell Fore.

We also have this lady that walks her dog in the forest where our course is. The only hole that actually uses a trail as a fairway is #2. It is a long par four. This summer after work I always would go straight to the course and play. It never failed that as I was teeing off on #2 I mean on the pad and going through my run up here would come this lady walking up from behind me and just keep walking into the line of fire like there was no reason in the world that she should stop. A few times I asked her if she could just let me finish my throw before she took off in front of me, but it never failed she would do it again the next day. I would just wait on her sometimes, but if I did then she would take her time getting up the trail and of course her dog would have to piss on six things while I was waiting. So one day I was mid run up about to release and here she comes. I grip locked it to keep from hitting her, and shanked it out into the woods. I had finally had enough. I grabbed another disc out of my bag and told her I was teeing off again, and she could keep walking if she wished, but I was going to be using her pony tail as my aiming target. She stopped dead in her tracks, and turned around. I then went on to explain that my discs are very hard and solid and they weigh about a third of a pound, And when they hit her they are going to break her bones. I told her that I had tried to be nice and I had tried to work with her, and that I was done with all that. The next time she walked out in front of me I would hit her no matter what. Now when we meet up she stops about five feet behind the tee pad and waits till my disc lands and we walk up the trail together. We just had to reach an understanding.

yell Fore!

please!!!!

having been hit by a disc, and now having a nice permanent scar by my eye
I can tell you that it is not fun to get hit by a disc

the folks messing around as mentioned in the OP should have shown courtesy and have gotten out of the way to let you play and let you know that they were throwing your way

We also have this lady that walks her dog in the forest where our course is. The only hole that actually uses a trail as a fairway is #2. It is a long par four. This summer after work I always would go straight to the course and play. It never failed that as I was teeing off on #2 I mean on the pad and going through my run up here would come this lady walking up from behind me and just keep walking into the line of fire like there was no reason in the world that she should stop. A few times I asked her if she could just let me finish my throw before she took off in front of me, but it never failed she would do it again the next day. I would just wait on her sometimes, but if I did then she would take her time getting up the trail and of course her dog would have to piss on six things while I was waiting. So one day I was mid run up about to release and here she comes. I grip locked it to keep from hitting her, and shanked it out into the woods. I had finally had enough. I grabbed another disc out of my bag and told her I was teeing off again, and she could keep walking if she wished, but I was going to be using her pony tail as my aiming target. She stopped dead in her tracks, and turned around. I then went on to explain that my discs are very hard and solid and they weigh about a third of a pound, And when they hit her they are going to break her bones. I told her that I had tried to be nice and I had tried to work with her, and that I was done with all that. The next time she walked out in front of me I would hit her no matter what. Now when we meet up she stops about five feet behind the tee pad and waits till my disc lands and we walk up the trail together. We just had to reach an understanding.

so...did you hit that or what, bro?

That is certainly not my reaction. I hear fore and I cover my head and turn away from the yell.

I have never understood why they yell "Heads up" at baseball games when that is exactly the opposite of what you should do

Yeah...I took a football to the face because someone yelled, "Heads up!" :thmbdown: Would have been better off if they never said anything, or better yet yelled, "Cover!"

But doesn't yelling "fore" make people "look" in the direction the shout came from. I would rather be hit in the back of the head then in the face.

That never made sense to me either.

A lot of public parks with dg courses have signs that warn people of flying discs. Whether you're playing dg or on a picnic with the kiddies, if the park has a dg course, you should be wary of flying plastic.

That's under a BIG assumption that other people in the park pay attention to their surroundings.

My two cents on it are to make the potential targets aware that one, I am throwing a disc and two, it is coming their way. I always yell 'Fore' when an errant shot goes towards others whether they are looking my direction or not. Giving others a fair warning is common courtesy and the safest way to go about it.

Also, something I've noticed is that people who aren't throwing seem reluctant to yell fore if the thrower does not. Nothing says that the person throwing needs to yell fore (although obviously they'd be the most likely to do so). I've yelled fore for people in my group when they don't think it's necessary, but I feel it is. (I have a buddy with apparently poor depth perception who does this sometimes...makes me wonder how he manages to disc. ;) :D)

(I have a buddy with apparently poor depth perception who does this sometimes...makes me wonder how he manages to disc. ;) :D)

that's basically me, it's really bad when it comes to judging long distances, putting and approaching isn't so bad. sometimes i'll be like "heh, i crushed that one" and it will plop about 200 feet away from me and other times it will look like it's coming up short, only to sail past the pin into a valley/pond/nettle/bur patch

I was playing at my local course the other day and some dude and his lady were in the middle of the fairway i was trying to tee off on. I waited on the pair to move along, but they just kept standing there looking down at the ground. I yelled fore to them to try to get them to get the point that they were in my way , but they just ignored me. They were only about 220' away, and I yelled loud, so I know that they heard me. I repeated again, and yet again they ignored me. I yelled to them that I was trying to tee off, and that they were in my way. They ignored me again! So I said screw it, and threw. I knew that there was a slim chance that I was going to hit them, but the possibility was still there. As I threw they finally started to walk off. My shot started its fade, and landed about thirty or forty feet in front of them. Then they turn around and look at me. Dude tries to make like he is a tough guy and asks me what the hell I thought I was doing. At this point I am still 210' to 220' away. I said in a normal speaking voice, " playing golf dumbass". He says, " Who you calling dumbass"? I respond ,"Oh now you can hear me, I yelled fore to you three times, and I yelled once that I was driving, and you acted like you never heard me, I say dumbass softly and all the sudden you have the hearing of Superman". He turns and mutters something under his breath to her that I cant hear and walks off. I holler out after him," Hey Clark Kent, this is a disc golf course and when people are trying to warn you that you are in the way, you might want to pay attention. These things can break you and Lois's jaw".
He once again ignores me!

Is the course exclusively reserved for disc golf or is it a multi user park? If the latter then you look like a db. If the former, then what are they doing there in the first place? hmm

Damn people screwing up someone's zealot mentality of having to play each hole, in order, or their day will collapse.

Throwing high speed projectiles at someone because they are ignorant does not make you any less ignorant.

so...did you hit that or what, bro?

She is pretty good looking. I would say that she is mid to late thirty's and pretty athletic body. A scar or her face or an arm in a sling probably would only detract from her looks. Maybe now that we had our little talk she can avoid both of those situations.

That's not what he meant bro...
:popcorn:
So......did you hit that or what?

Last edited:
The best thing to do if someones in the fairway is to get their attention BEFORE you throw. Don't yell fore when the disc is about to hit them!

For many of the aforementioned reasons, I always yell "duck."

What a db society we live in where regular golf partners sue each other because they are both idiots.

Hurray to the court for not trying such an assinine case. Boo to the world for even contemplating such garbage.

I applaud my parents for the way they raised me. I am pretty non confrontational but will stand up if necessary.

I got attacked one day by the nextdoor neighbor girl with an aluminum bat. She swung at me and I caught it, we wrestled and I ended up bapping her on the head with it. She dropped the bat and ran inside crying.

I realized I will probably be in deep poop for hitting a girl so I ran and told my dad what happened:

Me: "Dad I just hit so and so with a bat"
Dad "Did she deserve it?"
Me: "Yeah she attacked me with it and we wrestled and it hit her"
Dad "Don't worry about it"

I applaud my parents for the way they raised me. I am pretty non confrontational but will stand up if necessary.

I got attacked one day by the nextdoor neighbor girl with an aluminum bat. She swung at me and I caught it, we wrestled and I ended up bapping her on the head with it. She dropped the bat and ran inside crying.

I realized I will probably be in deep poop for hitting a girl so I ran and told my dad what happened:

Me: "Dad I just hit so and so with a bat"
Dad "Did she deserve it?"
Me: "Yeah she attacked me with it and we wrestled and it hit her"
Dad "Don't worry about it"

Good parents. Mine always taught me that if someone comes after you regardless of their sex to defend yourself. If a woman is willing to come at a man with a clenched fist or weapon then she is willing to take what ever you have to give. I have had this happen a couple of times with crazy g/f's but was always big enough to pin them down until they calmed down lol.

Yeah same here and that was the intent, just to restrain, but it was one of those deals where you are both push and she let up a bit and that sucker drilled her right in the forehead.

Lookin' back on it she probably wanted me but in 3rd grade I wouldn't have known these things.

Latest posts