• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

OTB Lawsuit Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more good people that don't renew, the less good people voting against the bad people, when the board elections happen. It's up to you whether that's something you're willing to invest $50 or more on, but that's been reason enough for probably three dozen people I've talked to, to renew or reactivate expired memberships... :D

I'm not sure where I fit on the good/bad spectrum, and how my vote helps in terms of sorting out the mess at the PDGA / DGPT level, but I'll re-consider :)

Good people - Willing to engage in nuanced discussion and alter viewpoints based on evidence and science.

Bad people - The opposite.

Each of the 'sides' to this discussion fall largely into these categories.

When it comes to the PDGA and DGPT it's more like "science"

Although I find your definition of the "good people" to be unsatisfying.

When people say compare top pro male and female ratings and similarly records in other sports, the above is one factor they usually ignore. Another is participation levels. If you randomly group athletes into two groups, one ten times larger than the other, you'd expect the larger group to have all the records. The occasional outlier, like Billie Jean King beating Jimmy Connors in a tennis match, would just be the exception that proves the rule. Women participate in sports at much lower rates because, among other things, the financial rewards are not the same.

The financial rewards are precisely the same. No one is stopping any female from playing in MPO in disc golf. Any female is eligible for those rewards. The same goes for any other sport. The NFL, MLB, NHL or NBA would relish the publicity of a woman being good enough to play for one of their teams…just think of the sponsorships that groundbreaking woman would get too.

The financial rewards are precisely the same. No one is stopping any female from playing in MPO in disc golf. Any female is eligible for those rewards. The same goes for any other sport. The NFL, MLB, NHL or NBA would relish the publicity of a woman being good enough to play for one of their teams…just think of the sponsorships that groundbreaking woman would get too.

SMH. :wall::wall:

. . . The occasional outlier, like Billie Jean King beating Jimmy Connors in a tennis match, would just be the exception that proves the rule. . . .

This is not quite accurate - Billie Jean King never beat Jimmy Connors - but the actual events support your point even better.

Bobby Riggs, a former top tennis player, was 55 years old when he challenged Margaret Court (30) and Billie Jean King (29), who were the top two female players in the world at the time.

Riggs easily beat Margaret Court, who was just returning to tennis after giving birth to her first child. But Billie Jean King then beat Riggs in straight sets.

About 20 years later Connors (age 40) did play Martina Navratilova (age 35). Connors won in straight sets despite rules favoring Navratilova (Connors was only allowed 1 serve per point, and Navratilova could hit into one of the doubles alleys).

So your point stands. :)

This is not quite accurate - Billie Jean King never beat Jimmy Connors - but the actual events support your point even better.

Bobby Riggs, a former top tennis player, was 55 years old when he challenged Margaret Court (30) and Billie Jean King (29), who were the top two female players in the world at the time.

Riggs easily beat Margaret Court, who was just returning to tennis after giving birth to her first child. But Billie Jean King then beat Riggs in straight sets.

About 20 years later Connors (age 40) did play Martina Navratilova (age 35). Connors won in straight sets despite rules favoring Navratilova (Connors was only allowed 1 serve per point, and Navratilova could hit into one of the doubles alleys).

It's generally accepted since the ESPN exposé that Riggs threw the King match in exchange for the mafia forgiving his gambling debts.

Mea culpa

School sports don't allow girls to play with boys. They even have laws now, but it was always a liability issue when girls wanted to play football. Olympic events are restricted. Many even have different scoring and/or procedures for no apparent reason except to thwart direct comparison of performance, like Olympic air pistol in which men fire 60 shots and women 40. Girls don't expect to be able to compete for the men's money when they grow up. No scholarships for that, etc. These things leads to a much smaller number of women pursuing sports as a career. A lot of FPO players find disc golf late. You can't deny the number of women competing in disc golf is much smaller than the number of men.

Good people vs. bad people, how does that help us reach a middle ground?

By that logic, you're implying you want people known to be bad on the board. That's the only way that can be read, when my suggestion was just getting bad people out. Why wouldn't you want just good people on the board? People who will make the right decision, whatever it may be, because it's the right decision - not ones who will make it based on prejudices or religious zealotry. Why wouldn't that be a good thing?

That is a big ask for many reasons.

I understand, and I don't fault anyone for following their heart, and doing what they need to by their conscience in that regard. It's just something I remind everyone I hear wanting to walk away about, because it honestly hasn't crossed a few of their minds, and that's been the deciding factor in renewing for them.

I'm not sure where I fit on the good/bad spectrum, and how my vote helps in terms of sorting out the mess at the PDGA / DGPT level, but I'll re-consider :)

You're willing to use your eyes and brain to see something beyond fear. That puts you pretty well into good person territory, in my opinion.

Just don't engage. The guy won't be taught.

In other words, we can't find anything in the post that isn't true, so we'll have to resort to personal attacks and having the moderators delete the posts that don't fit our agenda.

In other words, we can't find anything in the post that isn't true, so we'll have to resort to personal attacks and having the moderators delete the posts that don't fit our agenda.

Who am I to question the supreme disc golf authority?

Status
Not open for further replies.