• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Overstable mid (not drone)

Gator is pretty nice but I find that I can do most of the same things with a Pig - not a lot of difference really, and if you need something longer then a fairway or powered-down driver will work. SM Roc is pretty overstable, too, but it'll turn if you want it to, whereas the gator will fight hard.

I didn't like the feel of the Drone in my hand, but I do really like the Sentinel and it's crazy overstable with some glide to it. The Trident is similar with a lot less glide if you're using it to fight strong winds. Both of these are very flat and the rims feel great. I got rid of mine and mostly use the Pig now, although I'll carry the Gator at times.

If I remember correctly the Reapers were about as overstable as Teebirds in their respective plastics.

Zones are super fun like stated above, but aren't as extremely overstable as some of the other discs mentioned. Zones are the most overstable disc I carry, they will fly straight into a strong headwind with a little fade.

I think, like others have stated, that a Champ Whippet or a Opto Trident powered down will suit you better for your overstable needs than an overstable midrange will.

Imo z reapers are more overstable then tb's. Simillar to a pred in that both in x are tbird ish,yet more overstable in z then the tb is in champ.
The reaper imo is also shorter then the tb but far from a mid.

i use a drone - but i used to power down my firebird. skips like a...

bruce-bochy1.jpg

Best overstable mid out there.....Q Sentinal! The also rans are Whippet, Z Drone, Champ Gator, GL Pain, and the Z Wasp. But they are a distant 2nd to the Q Sentinal. It out glides and is pretty close to being the most overstable disc out of the bunch. The Drone is the most stable, but not by much. The only bummer is trying to find one in the San Marino mold.

Second or third the champ whippet. More overstable than gator or viper. The only thing I can think of that can compete is a powered down firebird.

In this category its drone or gator, I see a lot of pain mentions but that thing is more like a wasp/stable roc. The zone is there stability wise but closer to a putter in speed. The Gateway Demon and Innova Wippet also may be options but they're a bit faster.

Also, if your looking for that kind of stability stick with premium plastic, preferably Z or champ, although FLX drones are really stable even more so than Z, they kind of buck the trend there.

The problem with most overstable mids are when they are hucked good and hard they tend to just go straight with a healthy fade. OP wants boomerang type, left out of the hand stability but still a midrange and not a Drone. OP will probably get the desired flight from a slow, very overstable fairway disc than an overstable midrange.

Get a max weight pro Katana, Turn it upside down and pour boiling water into it. After 30 seconds place 5 telephone books on it. It will turn into a boomarang.;)

champ whippet... no glide and lots of fade. i use a flx drone but the whip is as OS as it gets. the key is small diameter. anything that is mid-sized will not be true overstable.

The problem with most overstable mids are when they are hucked good and hard they tend to just go straight with a healthy fade. OP wants boomerang type, left out of the hand stability but still a midrange and not a Drone. OP will probably get the desired flight from a slow, very overstable fairway disc than an overstable midrange.
I agree with the slow fairway driver recommendation as well. IMO, it's easier to get either type of flight Sid the Kid described with a fairway than it is with a mid.

If you aren't already married to the Whippet I'd consider the Blaze instead. It has a really similar flight, comes in better low end plastic and is readily available in high end plastic.

my vote is Champ Gator or Z Drone.....but in MHO a Champ or Star Viper (Innova Factory store) is an even more over stable/meat hook type disc. The viper is not much faster than the Gator and just wants to turn left right after it leaves your hand.

:)

Latest posts