• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Overstable Mid or Power Down on Overstable Driver?

Quikshark

I've been trying to find a good overstable midrange but lately I've been thinking that maybe it would be smarter to just have one overstable driver and power down for shorter shots. This way I would only have to learn one disc and use it for all my overstable shots.

Does anybody do this? And does it work better than learning multiple overstable discs?

learning to throw an OS midrange isn't a hard thing to do but I find the mold somewhat pointless. A straight to light fade midrange is useful just not one which is super OS. IMO yes you can learn to power down a driver for the same truly OS shots you need and actually get better results from the driver.

Its safe to say you don't NEED an OS midrange.

Are overstable mids pointless?

Many MVP Resistor throwers do this, because it works so well powered down, as well as thrown with full power. IMO, it is one of the best discs for a wide range of overstable duties.

I like having a slower OS disc because I can use my same throw for drivers with mids or putters and achieve the shorter distance. gives me more consistency with my throw. There is enough stuff to worry about already with form! lol

Recently I played quite a few rounds with just a Drone, Gator, Banshee and a Firebird trying to narrow my molds down and it was an interesting experiment. I ended up finding out that for my game and power level, I could cover most of the fairway to mid range OS duties perfectly well with just the Banshee and it feels better in the hand for forehand shots too. So the Gator and Drone are out and the Banshee stays. The firebird is a different story, it covers the upper end beef.

I guess it depends on the stability of the mid.

Drone is a lawn dart. Great for real wind, but I don't bag one unless it's going to be an issue.

DD Truth is 0 turn, 2 fade... and some of the flat top fuzion are more like a 3 fade. Personally, I bag a minimum of 3 Truths.

Beat Classic - turn over mid - no skip.
Used BioFuzion flies straight, no turn. Laser straight, min fade.
Fresh Fusion/BioFuzion is stable with some fade when thrown 300'.
Beat Lucid - a bit more fade.
Flat top Lucid - predictable fade in wind or FH anhyzer.

I use a combo of the above + something truly OS like a drone or more likely a Gateway Karma.

I no longer bag any Rocs / Buzzz / Mako because I feel like the Truth does a truly excellent job in all categories and is less sensitive to speed if I want to push one deep.

i bag a firebird, zone, and buzz os. Depending on the shot i throw them all quite frequently.

firebird for low ceiling approaches that i can skip in.

zone wide open wind and the buzz os to me is just a longer zone. bagged a drone for a while but buzz os feels better in my hands.

on many shots i feel like any of these three disc will work for me, it depends on what i feel in the moment as to which one i grab.

I found that very overstable mids were super consistent, but so consistent that it's difficult to actually control. No matter what I get about the same flight (250'-270'). With a very overstable driver I can easily power down to get that same flight (i.e. throw from a standstill), but can also get them out to fairway driver distances when thrown harder. So I have more of a range of 250'-350' with only a small loss of consistency.

What I did find useful were very overstable, slower drivers like a Blaze or Whippet type disc. I don't have the top end distance like they do, but they have all of the consistency at that low end as the mid, but still have a larger range. They also beat up to be amazing. They just overlap a bit too much with my other discs to justify me carrying them. I can see how others would like to have a disc like that, though.

I cycle Truths as well. I currently have 3. If I need a really overstable wind-fighter, I have a first run Lucid Verdict (with Truth tooling) because it feels the same in my hand.

If I need something with a heavy hyzer and skip, I go with a Felon.

I also bag a Bard and use it for midrange flex shots. I've found I need that throw once or twice a round, so it's good to have it.

If I have a wind that my flat Roc3 can't handle, I'll move up to either my eagle X or my Firebird depending on how long of a shot I have. If it's questionable I'll move up to the OS fairway that I know I can trust. I toyed with having a verdict in the bag for a while but found the mold pretty useless as the FW's are just a better feel for me.

I think you can get to the pin with either. The difference for me is what happens once you get there. The mids have a tendency to skip less and stay close to the pin. There are situations that either are better choices....terrain, wind, downhill/uphill pin positions, ceilings..... But, my answer is I use midrange discs to get close to the pin.

The skip factor is where having an actual mid mold will help. If you have room in the bag, why not carry a utility disc? I was using a Buzzz OS last summer / fall, but have since dropped those in favor of the Zone. They seem to range a little better for me and they die out nicely when they lose speed. At the cost of a disc or two for field work, you might as well just test is out and see if it's worth it for you.

I really like a Whippet as an OS "mid". Covers the same lines as a true mid but is also more versatile

It sounds like it's best to still bag an OS midrange because it could be useful in some spots. I currently bag an Obex but the Vibram discs don't really give that skip you usually look for in an OS disc. I have a Lucid Truth I really like that I've been using as my straighter mid. It doesn't give me a lot of fade though. Maybe if I try a different plastic. Is the Fuzion more OS?

I wouldnt really call the Truth an OS mid. Every one I have thrown has had some turn to it, and no reliable fade. Ive got both a Mace and Bard- Mace is mostly straight with a little fade, Bard is definitely a little more OS- I'm gonna give the Justice a whirl whenever those are released.

When I only threw BH I got by just fine with 2 Firebirds. One FAF and one domed and <170g. A Zone as well, but I found no need for a mid more o/s than a Wasp.

FH is a bigger part of my game now, but still a very secondary skill. I find having more speed variation in my overstable molds to be beneficial. My most used is a Buzzz OS as my primary FH approach disc.

Drone Plastic must come from deep within the earth because that's where that disc wants to go. It can be almost comical. For me, powering down is not a good idea and is likely to result in a newbie hyzer that could get blown anywhere by the wind and/or skip in ways that are not good. Once I found a couple of overstable mids that I could throw full power and with confidence I was a happier disc golfer.

I completely agree with the op on this which is why I carry a Trident for this slot. Its a very slow driver and a fast mid range. It works perfect for this tweener spot. The Whippet is another disc that fills this spot perfectly.

I carry a zone and a buzz OS for these shots. They are great discs IMO, especially for forehands

For awhile my only true OS disc was a firebird. I used it for powering down shots, flat and long shots, flex shots, flicks and even overhand shots. I now bag a rhyno, drone and xcal because I like to throw with pretty much the same power every time, and let the disc do the work.

Firebirds are great utility discs, and can be used from 200 ft to 350 ft. (more like ~320 max for me).

OS mids are sweet.

Latest posts