• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Overstable mid-range?

jamsisjams

Double Eagle Member
I currently use two Z Wasps (one new, the other seasoned) for primary mid-range discs. Occasionally, mostly due to bad form, I turn the disc over and have a poor shot. I play approximately 3/4 of my rounds with a forehand and am looking for something crazy overstable. Can anyone recommend an overstable mid-range besides the Wasp and Gator?

Ive tried the s demon and the d drone. The Demon is uber overstable, I couldn't turn it over with my crappy sidarm throws, while the drone isn't so much of a pig. Both are nice discs imo, but i'd go with the demon myself.

overstable =- Whippet....in DX and Pro
wickedly overstable =- Whippet-X in Champ.....

if your turning over a z wasp and you know its bad form you should probobly work on your form rather than buy a disc that will mask the problem.

Most of gateway's stuff is pretty overstable. Their warrior is a pretty overstable mid.
I imagine the scout, demon and apache would also be on the overstable side.

Among Innova's mids:Champion Sharks and Champion Spiders are fairly overstable when new.

Discraft Drone I've heard is supposed to be overstable.

Apache real understable - think Leopard.

Element-X in E or Demon in S

Might want to try a Blaze or Xtra as a midrange as well.

A guy in our local club throws a Champion Teebird as a midrange... does amazingly well with it.... drives me nuts to watch him do it.

If he's flipping a wasp he will flip an ELX. Anyway just get an E Blaze and it will all be better. :lol:

swel304 said:
if your turning over a z wasp and you know its bad form you should probobly work on your form rather than buy a disc that will mask the problem.
That's a good point. I'm not asking to mask a problem. There's a shot at my home course that has basketball court complete with a high fence in play for 90% of the shot. The shot is often beset by wind and my Viking is generally too much disc. My Wasps don't always handle the wind, be it a misread of the wind or from a shoulder roll. Also, I play in heavily wooded courses. Discs that start overstable don't necessarily stay that way.

Ultimately the shot comes back to me but, for the time being, I'd like to experiment with some different discs.

Also, I play in heavily wooded courses. Discs that start overstable don't necessarily stay that way.
I feel your pain there. thats my my bag only contains 3 d/dx discs.
I dont carry a super-overstable mid (i.e. wippet ect..) because I just use my z pred if I need something that overstable at a mid range, its just as overstable thrown short or long. I have been considering getting something like that though as the sharper edge of the pred makes it more likely to skip away.

Is the demon a blunt or sharp edge?

The discraft Pro D Drone is very overstable; however, it's only in Pro D plastic, so if you're talking about a lot of tree hits, it won't be stable for long.

They're a pretty good disc because they're stable enough to throw on a small anhyzer and they'll go flat, but you know they're coming back.

They're more stable than a wasp and can be thrown into a headwind. When they get beat, they're a pretty good flat/straight disc, too.

I was carrying a x buzz, z buzz, z wasp, and s demon. But the demon overlaps with a predator or firebird; that is, you can make the same shot with these discs.

I keep the demon in the car for insane wind though. I would stick to your wasps. Maybe pick up a new one.

I just use an moderately overstable driver as my overstable mid. I have a max weight star tbird that does a fine job and cuts down the number of molds I carry.

swel304 said:

Wow...only one real good answer.

The rest ya'll get caught up in touting their favorite middy meat hook???

We're supposed to be helping each other, not hard selling for the Disc manufacturers. :?

jamsisjams...
Any disc a backhander can use a sidearmer can as well.
That Z Wasp should be your meat hook, not your line holdin middy.
Take a less Low Speed Stable middy (Buzzz, Shark, etc...) to a field and you will eventually figure out how to get them on a line w/o worries of them flippin.
Some mistakes I commonly catch myself doing with middys...
Overpowering them, ya can't put driver power on a middy and expect it to stay stable.
Flight plate alignment, if that flight plate isn't in line with your forearm...it'll flutter and turn.
*sigh* couldn't really help ya with they why unless we see your form in action.
None the less, DON'T go out and get an even more overstable disc as it will only cure the symptom, not the root cause.

The Euphoric Nightmare said:
Overpowering them, ya can't put driver power on a middy and expect it to stay stable.

I haven't found that to be true. I throw my midranges and putters with the same amount of force as my drivers. If I try to overpower any disc I tend to add off-axis torque and that is most likely the cluprit.

As for the initial question, I've found that discs like the Blaze or Whippet (i.e. slower, overstable drivers) tend to be more versatile than the really overstable midranges.

Latest posts