• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paige Pierce #29190

We straights can be pretty oblivious
Also it's kinda a non-story.

I forget how long ago it was, but somebody I know from back in the day that is still plugged into PDGA disc golf wanted to give me an exposé on the van life of disc golfers (he was friends with Dan Moss, who was married to Sarah Hokom before she became a pro disc golfer. Really it was just a hatchet job on female disc golfers in general and Sarah Hokom in particular.) This was well before COVID and one of the "rumors reported as fact" he had was two FPO players dating and one of them was Pierce. So the rumors have been around. If somebody as removed from pro disc golf as I am had heard them, it can't really be that big of a shock.

In this day and age I can't imagine there is a very large % of potential disc golf fans that would react negatively to it. It seems like people seem to know who "Alyssa" is so it's like a "disc golf celebrity" couple, and people love that stuff. It should be a very positive thing for her to be open about.

In this day and age I can't imagine there is a very large % of potential disc golf fans that would react negatively to it.

I dont think this will hurt Paige sales at all or get negative feedback for her. ... . .this may not be a very PC thing to say, BUT if a male player "came out" i DO think it would hurt his discs sales..sad but tru

Also it's kinda a non-story.
In a way. It was a non-story to me when it was brought up a while back without context in this or another thread (maybe in politics?). Seeing the Instagram post makes it a little bit of a story insomuch that Alyssa is choosing to be a low-level activist for being comfortable with coming out, using Coming Out Day for it. I'm appreciative of the way she is actively encouraging people to truly be comfortable in their own skin (so to speak).

The two of them are in no way obligated to be activists, but I hope they continue to feel comfortable being encouraging and positive role models in that way.

I just hope she will find time for practice, her game was all over the place last season.
A Paige at the top of her game against Eveliina, Henna and Kristin is what I want to see next year

While I agree Paige's game was off this past season, I would also argue that the FPO field is starting to see an uptick in the level of competition. Besides the players you mentioned, I'd throw players like Missy Gannon, Hailey King, and maybe Kona Panis into the mix as well. Heather Young has promise if she can keep her composure out on the course also.

The days of Paige dominating the field without bringing her best game are probably over.

Personally I think people making a big deal of it makes it a bigger deal than it really is?

Honestly, the fact that there is a discussion beyond...oh cool, a disc golfer doing well and setting up a house and family somewhere, makes me uncomfortable.

So, cool. A young couple, growing together and buying a house....neat. :\

Honestly the most compelling part to me is that she is doing not only well enough to fund her expenses and travel but also to have a house where she would only be a few months per year. It has to give her peace of mind to have a place to land of her own after a long tour.

Good for her!

A terrific video, IMO. Ten world championships walking us through a practice routine. Julianna Korver walks us through her practice regiment, regales us with some history and we get to see two of the most dominant women of our game play Maple Hill. Shout out to the Soft Magnet....the only thing remotely similar about JK's and my game. :p

Crap.....why is imbedding so dang difficult for me. I like to believe I am marginally intelligent and cannot make it work. If someone would be so kind?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXj7CHnwSyg

Last edited:
Good interview. Kudos to Paige for doing what she could to support that transgender player. She comes across as incredibly genuine here.

I like her approach to gender and orientation, and respect her keeping certain parts of her life as private as she wishes.

Last edited:
Honestly the most compelling part to me is that she is doing not only well enough to fund her expenses and travel but also to have a house where she would only be a few months per year. It has to give her peace of mind to have a place to land of her own after a long tour.

Good for her!

And she can buy a whole damn house on a whim! I hope she paid straight cash, homie.

nice interview with Paige. she talks a bit about a recent conversation she had with Thomas Gilbert. she impressed me with her openness and empathy

I didn't really have a strong opinion about Paige before watching this, but I agree the empathy she displayed in this interview is admirable. Count me on Team Paige moving forward, that's a good human right there.

And she can buy a whole damn house on a whim! I hope she paid straight cash, homie.

I realize Finny was just having fun. Just pointing out that it makes sense to really take advantage of these insanely low mortgage rates.

I'm not a financial planner or advisor. I don't even play one on TV. But I get how interest, time, and money work.

Interest rates for home mortgages are (quite literally), at truly historic lows. Pretty easy to get a rate below 3% today. In fact, you'd probably have to put some effort into doing worse than 3%.

Someone Paige's age will end up much further ahead by putting less down, and borrowing more at some rate below 3%, and investing the difference in a reasonably stable, growth type mutual fund.

I realize Finny was just having fun. Just pointing out that it makes sense to really take advantage of these insanely low mortgage rates.

I'm not a financial planner or advisor. I don't even play one on TV. But I get how interest, time, and money work.

Interest rates for home mortgages are (quite literally), at truly historic lows. Pretty easy to get a rate below 3% today. In fact, you'd probably have to put some effort into doing worse than 3%.

Someone Paige's age will end up much further ahead by putting less down, and borrowing more at some rate below 3%, and investing the difference in a reasonably stable, growth type mutual fund.

This is all true. And upon further reflection, maybe the crazy part is that Eric and Tina can afford a house. Which is fantastic but surprising.