• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paige Pierce #29190

I don't think she had as much room for a hyzer as you seem to believe. I the alley appears to be about circles width or 60'. She was right of center. She needed to cover about 220' I think to get to the circle? If she throws an OS disc on a hyzer line she needs to be on the far right to land it.

The hyzer forehand was wide open

...and I'm going to disagree with that. You throw a hyzer poorly, you miss by 10'. That's what makes it such a great option on shots like the one Paige had.

No, you throw a hyzer poorly and it skips past the basket considerably further than a flat shot. Comeback range is reason to throw a flat shot. Given equal terrain, distance and throwing a shot chain high, a flat shot generally has the entire rim to slow the disc. The hyzer lands on one piece of the rim and will skip. Add the fact that you are usually throwing a stable disc and the skip is magnified. Again, not advocating for one over the other, but an informed decision can help choose the right shot.

No, you throw a hyzer poorly and it skips past the basket considerably further than a flat shot.

Hit me up when you're in my neck of the woods. I'll hand you one of my Harps and you can teach me how to make it skip past the basket considerably. Apparently that's a skill that I haven't mastered yet.

Hit me up when you're in my neck of the woods. I'll hand you one of my Harps and you can teach me how to make it skip past the basket considerably. Apparently that's a skill that I haven't mastered yet.

Some discs are less likely to skip. (Harp, Rhyno, Zone, Pig...) Regardless of potential to skip, matching the angle of a disc to the ground is going to generally produce less ground play.

I would gladly throw a round with you anytime!!

I was taught to hyzer a putter at the ground about 5 to 10 feet right of the basket so it has a chance to skip in and otherwise stays near the basket, but wind can play heck with that approach.

The shot she threw was fine if it was started 10 feet to the right. She sets up floaty anhyzer twice and then releases along the left OB hyzer. The disc she threw flew ok with the tiny bit of hyzer she seems to accidentally put on it. Even if she threw just a little harder she'd have been inside Catrina's lie on the green.

A hyzer, if the hole allows it, is 100% the most accurate and consistent type of shot. To paraphrase Omar Little, "Even if you miss you can't miss."

I remember watching 2021 worlds as it was happening, and when I saw Paige was going straight at the pin instead of a stock Zone approach, I literally could not believe it. EVERYONE throws on OS approach disc in that situation. Pros. Ams. Men. Women. EVERYONE.

A hyzer is not reliable in many situations and I tend to rely on the straight shot also. In the woods, as many have said. Crosswinds can play havoc with a hyzer, and it is very important to account for head and tailwinds. Headwind can counter the effect of a hyzer, and a tailwind requires much more space to move.

A hyzer is not reliable in many situations and I tend to rely on the straight shot also. In the woods, as many have said. Crosswinds can play havoc with a hyzer, and it is very important to account for head and tailwinds. Headwind can counter the effect of a hyzer, and a tailwind requires much more space to move.

Wind can play havoc with any shot if you don't account for it. In my experience, even more with a straight shot/neutral disc. Put me in the camp of the hyzer being more reliable when available.

I'm 900ish on a good day, so no expert of course, but I have found the most dependable shot for me is a moderate angle and height overstable driver that really fights whatever the wind is. It just seems to stray less from its intended path during flight than any other shot. That said, on any woods course this shot really is not typically available, and most of my area courses were heavily wooded when I started playing again, so I tried to develop good straight shots as well--but those are much more dependent it seems on angle of release than a stock hyzer is. I have noticed this more in the last few months as I start to play a few more open courses. I park baskets more frequently (well, like a little vs none) when going strong hyzer on the holes I can.

Just one person's observation of course. I think wind affects both shots, but a hyzer just seems less fickle when it comes to release angle. I actually questioned this 6 months ago, but now I am a believer. :) I play enough wooded courses though that it will never become my standard shot...

My biggest misses, ever, have been hyzers with a right to left wind. I don't think I have ever guessed right on those. One of the reasons I just stopped even trying. Upshots/approaches may be the strongest part of my game, and I only hyzer if if I absolutely have to. In fact, most of my long hole outs have been nose up anny approaches.

This article: When Will Paige Pierce Break 1000? continues to be prescient.

Two and a half years on Pierce's rating of 973 has dropped 9 points since last April. Meanwhile Ohn Scoggins' 977 rating has boosted 15 points over the same time period. Paige is as close to the seventh ranked player in the world as she is to the second ranked player.

Two and a half years on Pierce's rating of 973 has dropped 9 points since last April. Meanwhile Ohn Scoggins' 977 rating has boosted 15 points over the same time period. Paige is as close to the seventh ranked player in the world as she is to the second ranked player.

??

Paige Pierce is ranked 2842 in the world so she is 5 spots further from the world's second ranked player than she is from the seventh.

The most surprising thing to me is that Ohn was in the 960s in 2021. I didnt really realize she was that solid until into 2022.

I dunno the complete story, but I heard something in an an interview where she mentioned something about pressure to be the best from her dad burned her out. That's really a shame.

Lately, Paige sems to be focusing on a more "complete and balanced life," that's not quite as disc golf centric as she's been in the past, and she sounds like she's in a better mental space (a lot of which probably has to do with settling down with Alyssa).

I really hope Paige can re-ignite her fire, because a motivated Paige and Kristin (as hot as she's been), would be fun to watch.

But she may need a bit more time to see if that fire returns. Even though she'll be competing in 2023, I suspect that wedding plans for late 2023 may mean she needs a bit more time to get it back.

Nov 11, 2023

I think BogeyNoMore is spot on with his assessment of Paige's situation. I think Paige spent more than 15 years of her life where she was 100% devoted to her disc golf career, to the disc golf community and to her fans. After her financial success and her new life with Alyssa, she has other priorities competing for her time. I would like to see her back in the competitive position she once was, but I think she is happier now than she has ever been before, and that's great. I wish her only the best.

My prediction: Natalie Ryan will get to 1000 rating before Paige does. Just look at her rating history...consistently going up.

I think if anyone gets to 1000 over the next few years it will be Kristen, and probably just a little peak over it, and probably not for a super long time, perhaps a few years. Either way will be a big deal. I don't see Natalie having the gas given everything going on to do that but we'll see. Same for Paige. If Kristen doesn't do it in the next few years, down the road in 5 or so it will be someone new, a young super athletic phenom who either grew up playing or transitions over from Ultimate - there are a lot of girls who will start doing doing that, more and more so, in the near future.

I could also see one of the Finns doing it too, but they'd have to completely transform their putting style and motion totally from the ground up. Who knows, that could entirely happen, anything is possible and they're both super young. From what I saw at the DGPT event last week though, it won't be this year.

Last edited: