• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paige Pierce loses huge opportunity

I wonder what this thread discussing her purposely "throwing" the round would have looked like had she done it.

I feel like I could make a grip lock into the woods look pretty believable. :p

I wonder what this thread discussing her purposely "throwing" the round would have looked like had she done it.

I feel like I could make a grip lock into the woods look pretty believable. :p

Shoot. It wouldn't even have been hard. She nailed a HUGE death putt (40ft ish) on the big uphill par 5. Sail that sucker wide and she would have lost. No one ever would have known.

The rules ARE the rules. Foot faults, missed holes, conduct, dress codes, relief et al. Why would anyone propose more lenient rules for top-tier players? That doesn't make any sort of sense.
This isn't to say that what happened to Ms. Hokkum wasn't awful (the accident, I mean), nor is it to imply that she was anything less than a warrior for still showing up, taking her strokes (as prescribed by the rulebook) and playing strong.
But the rules, they are.
For everyone.
Read up. There is no rule saying you can't delay a tournament. For this extraordinary circumstance since they knew more than two hours ahead of time and knew it would be a minor delay then it would be right to delay for anyone. Almost all the women would've been very happy to and the only "logistics" problem would've been things would be 30 mins behind. If that's too much hassle then you shouldn't be awarded worlds. The purpose of Worlds imo isn't to make things easy on the TD, it's to give an amazing experience to the golfers and for the best golfer of the tournament to earn the world's title. They accomplished neither. Fail.

And I see the bleeding hearts, probably none of whom have run a tournament in their lives, much less something of this magnitude are continuing with the inane "I know everything" Monday morning quarterbacking, as if they could somehow have dealt with this situation in a better and fairer manner.

Maybe Timg could order a pallet of this stuff and sell it in the DGCR store. We'd use up two or three tubes of it in this thread alone.

Why do people always have to dwell on the negative? Wasn't the accident negative enough?

The positive: regardless of how or why, two of the sport's top competitors gave us one helluva show, right down to the very end. Years down the road, people always remember The Champion, but no one ever remembers who came in 2nd.
This time, they will.

Only the top 3 women's cards knew what was going on. Hell, even the course director didn't know it was Hokom until 15 minutes before the scheduled tee off. Rebecca Duffy didn't run around to all of the holes and tell everyone what was up. If they gave everyone a notice 2 hours in advance, there would be no problem with this imo.

Only the top 3 women's cards knew what was going on. Hell, even the course director didn't know it was Hokom until 15 minutes before the scheduled tee off. Rebecca Duffy didn't run around to all of the holes and tell everyone what was up. If they gave everyone a notice 2 hours in advance, there would be no problem with this imo.

Yeah, I suspected that was BS. Hence, the inquiry.

it was in the smashbox podcast. they knew about 1hr 45min in that Hokum was in a bad accident. Eventually about an hour before Paige found out that Sarah could play and was on her way in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_anxK98fISk

Sarah/Paige were all on the last card (meaning there would be no delay for other players) so Paige was actively trying to organize somehow to delay the start. It eventually was delayed about 15-20min, so Sarah was fortunate to have missed only two holes to what could've been 4 or more holes.

Paige eventually is totally candid about how she contemplated purposely missing shots/putts to give Sarah the win, and even ran some death-y long putts in the final 9 holes in the hope she either would hit the putt (so she'd lengthen her lead) or blow far past and give Sarah the opportunity to come back or even win.

it was in the smashbox podcast. they knew about 1hr 45min in that Hokum was in a bad accident. Eventually about an hour before Paige found out that Sarah could play and was on her way in.

Sarah/Paige were all on the last card (meaning there would be no delay for other players) so Paige was actively trying to organize somehow to delay the start. It eventually was delayed about 15-20min, so Sarah was fortunate to have missed only two holes to what could've been 4 or more holes.

Paige eventually is totally candid about how she contemplated purposely missing shots/putts to give Sarah the win, and even ran some death-y long putts in the final 9 holes in the hope she either would hit the putt (so she'd lengthen her lead) or blow far past and give Sarah the opportunity to come back or even win.

I wonder how quickly she was trying to start last year when Catrina was late.

I wonder how quickly she was trying to start last year when Catrina was late.

Catrina was not rear ended while stationary at a stop sign. She was the only player our of an entire field of women that went to the wrong course. Regardless how Paige attempted to help the two players, their situations are completely different.

Catrina was not rear ended while stationary at a stop sign. She was the only player our of an entire field of women that went to the wrong course. Regardless how Paige attempted to help the two players, their situations are completely different.

In terms of the competition, the reason for the tardiness is inconsequential. Both were late. One was given special treatment. The other, not so much, if at all. Stop thinking of the children.

Just funny that Catrina, without any ass-wiping from her competitors, shook off the mistake she made and fought hard enough to win her event.

What I would like to know is who the person was who told Paige and some others that Sara was gonna get to replay the two holes she missed. That's some bs right there.

I found Paige's openness on Smashboxx very refreshing. The level of disconnect between Catrina and Paige is much larger than I imagined. Paige mentioned not knowing what Cat's pre-tournament practice was or why she choose not to be in the Mixed Doubles competition. This is after playing multiple rounds together. She was very candid on the issues with DGP and how Crazy handled the post tournament round.

FWIW, It sounds to me like she said they heard about the accident an hour to 45 min before, not an hour and 45 min.

I also like how candid Paige was with regards to Crazy's commentary and interview afterward....

she said that Crazy could be heard throughout the round even when he thought he couldn't be. he did walk up to discs in their lie before players, would give his opinion on what shot should be done, and was in the way before the actual player (paige) walked up to the disc.

Paige's opinion on Disc Golf Planet TV was candid as well. ;)

I actually love Crazy and his wacky commentary (creepy whisper immediately into crazy orgasmic booms) but if the players can hear him whispering and if he's going up to players discs and in the way before the players themselves....

Latest posts