• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pay for an Ace?

what do you pay for an ace?

• Pat him on the back and say, "Way to go!".

Votes: 58 65.9%
  • Give him a dollar.

Votes: 9 10.2%
  • give him 5 dollars.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • give him your car, and you will pay him a gazillion dollar in installments.

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
Stupid english language...don't make an "S" sound if you don't want to be spelled that way capacity...

Several of us here do the 5150 thing. $5 for an ACE, $1 for chains, and $0.50 for metal (pole, basket, chain hangers, or numberplate). We pay for skip ACES but no other skips. We all know who's in and who's not at the start of the round. A few of us have been doing it for many, many years so we don't even have to acknowledge it prior to the start. Nobody's getting rich off of it, it just adds some excitement. Some of us have it as a standing rule at events we are in together, even if we're not on the same card. We DON'T pay if we're not in the same event as the ACE maker, since there is no way to even it up with your own ACE.

As a side note: We do have a SHORT GAME (putter game) that involves the 5150 rule plus other means of gambling that can really get expensive, or really lucrative, depending on which side of the payoff you're on.

From what I am reading so far....(and yes i think I can do that), it looks like the 51 thing is a Texas thing. Glad I know that for when I travel out of the state. Everyone here plays it as a given and just one of the rules. I would like to know how we came up with it down here and how it hasnt spread. Just wondering

Stupid english language...don't make an "S" sound if you don't want to be spelled that way capacity...

No $hit. With that being said, Im going to get another beer. Just wait the typing will get better!

I play a lot of events in New Mexico (my parents have lived in Albuquerque since 1985), and it's a standard thing there also.

Good to know.

Really though folks, what is the harm of someones name and date written on the basket. Does it interfere with its ability to catch discs? Does it make it harder to see? Can the writing even be seen from over 10ft away? If you people need to get your panties in a wad about something, worry about trash and cigarette butts on the course and real vandalism, not someone recording their ace in a manner that has no ill effects on anyone or anything.

It may not technically be vandalism but the fact remains it is not your property and not intended to be written on. Would you like someone to write their accomplishments on your front door? Does it interfere with the ability to keep people out? It is about aesthetics. When park property looks like crap it is treated like crap. I don't care that X-player got and ace on Y-day... Yay for you, but I'd rather not see your graffiti scrawled across park property.

Just my opinion.

it really bothers me that people get so worked up over something that has no negative effect on anyone.

it is basically harmless and there are way bigger things to be worried about. [...]
I may not agree with your way of doing things but I will defend your right to do it if it doesn't hurt anyone else.

... not someone recording their ace in a manner that has no ill effects on anyone or anything.

I have no problem with signing benches either- it really isn't hurting anything.

I'm curious how you are so sure that no one is harmed by this, there are no ill effect from it, and nothing gets hurt by it.

Have you ever tried to get a new course installed and walked an existing course with the Parks & Rec decision makers only to have them comment on the "graffiti" they see on the baskets must be from the "vandals & hoodlums" that the course is attracting? Then you have to explain that... no, that's actually disc golfers defacing their own course. :(

I'm curious how you are so sure that no one is harmed by this, there are no ill effect from it, and nothing gets hurt by it.

Have you ever tried to get a new course installed and walked an existing course with the Parks & Rec decision makers only to have them comment on the "graffiti" they see on the baskets must be from the "vandals & hoodlums" that the course is attracting? Then you have to explain that... no, that's actually disc golfers defacing their own course. :(

My sentiments exactly, well said.

by the way, the 51 or 135 isn't from texas...they have been doing that in va beach since the 70's...nice post eric...some people are too hard-headed to understand the basic things in life..i don't care if it is a piece of cardboard you are writing on...if it isn't yours leave it alone..."everything you need to know in life, you learned in kindergarten"..glad i dont live in durham, i would have some fun pulling this guys fist from my face...bring an army lil boy

Last edited:
If I was a local that had played a certain course every day and after years of playing I finally made my 1st ace, I could understand it. But if I am a out of towner just passing through and I get my first ace there is no way that I whip out a marker or paint brush and go Picasso on there baskets or any other course property. I always thought you were supposed to get whoever saw or heard it to sign the disc. That is what I would prefer. I could see telling my friends about it and saying honest man I finally made an ace. Let's drive a couple of hours and I will prove it to you, I signed the basket just in case no one believed me.

where im from it is custom to sign the basket....but i dont believe in that, im a little superstitious, so i just sign the disc instead....and as far as the $ goes, if its just another local im playing with ill give a atta boy, but if its one of my close friends we will buy the other persons meal....or if im broke they get a "way to go" as well

5and1

whenever my friends and i play a round together, we call it 5and1 which is 5 dollars for the ace and 1 dollar if ya hit the chains or basket.
got this idea a long time ago when i played in a tournament when a guy suggested it for our group and every tournament since, my group has always done this.

still waiting on my first ace...............i did have a dream a couple of weeks ago getting my first ace, so hopefully thats a good sign. its gonna be nuts if it happens on the same hole as my dream. hole 5 on my home course(olathe, ks)

I never accept cash from my group for aces...but I do jokingly accept quarters for hitting metal. Metal for metal...aka...a quarter for hitting metal is a fun gesture...expecting anything...much less a dollar for hitting metal is absurd. On Wednesday night doubles a few of us will play quarter CTP made up 300 ft holes...targets being a tree, power pole, some kind of plastic poles..and a BBQ grill...all in a circle...CTP gets a quarter...I'm not very good...but the other day I emptied my bag trying to figure out why it weighed so much..and ended up buying an $89 pair of Merrel Cameleons EVO GTX and still had enough change left over to buy a mtn dew 12 pack.

So...a Quarter for metal is all fun...but anyone expecting casual payout for a bad shot that luckily went into chains....because most aces are over powered shots that just happen to get lucky....anyone expecting cash for that can kiss my ace.

The guys I play with down here always play for money. Sometimes we play dollar skins, sometimes five dollar overall, wolf, whatever. Just seems to bring a little more excitment into the game. When the pot gets big, either in skins or if there are 4 or 5 guys playing overall, then you start feeling a little pressure and I think that helps us all in our tournament play. At least I know it does for me, a little 30 or 35 footer is a lot easier in a tourney when you have hit the same putt for 20 bucks or sometimes more the day before. Just my 2 cents though, well and I guess the guys I play with.

lol...love it when someone who has never hit an ace calls it a bad shot...too funny

I know we aren't talking about my posts...I've hit 5 this year alone...and only one of them was I trying for the Ace..the rest were bad shots that hit chains and stayed. Hole #9 at Idlewild was called before the throw though...with two witnesses.

who cares whose post it was...it was someone who hasnt had an ace...do you fit this category? no, you just want to run your mouth some more...how the hell is an ace run a bad shot? sorry if 20' putts scare you

In a tournament with no Ace pot, okay, pay the guy. Otherwise, don't look at me for being a cheap skate, I am stinking poor, at least for America.

I was wrong, and I apologize

Yes, it may look like crap once you get closer than 15ft, although I think it gives the basket character, like good graffiti on an empty wall . But again, you usually cannot even tell if the basket is signed until you get close.

I just went and played a round (-9 with 3 discs, but at Cornwallis regs for those who know it), and after talking to my friend and partaking in other DG activities I changed my mind. People should not sign the baskets. Here is my new logic:

The baskets are public (usually), which means they belong to everyone. Thus, while I might not mind my portion of the basket being signed, the majority of you would rather it not, so others should respect your wishes and not sign it. That being said, when I own my own course I will encourage basket signing on aces.

Sorry for being a bit of a d-bag, and for the thread jack. Now you know why I don't have any friends :D

Back to the thread topic, we also do 5-1 here in Durham, North Carolina.

Latest posts