• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

pdga disciplinary report

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the stance by the pdga on marijuana use in states where it's a legally prescribed medicine or now legal.

I imagine it is like this: alcohol is legal in the US but most parks have signs up saying no alcoholic beverages. You can be cited or arrested for drinking in public/public intoxication. I imagine that in WA and CO they have similar rules for the newly legal substances. so if you are doing something that is not allowed in a public park you are still breaking the law.

my guess is, like other sports leagues, the state laws are irrelevant, especially when federal law trumps all of it...

especially when the pdga is national and not just in each state. Gotta have a uniform approach to the rules and not bend on big issues else where.

What is the stance by the pdga on marijuana use in states where it's a legally prescribed medicine or now legal.

This was covered in a BOD meeting.

Basically, in all states where it is currently legal, it is illegal in open areas in all cases.

That pretty much shut the door.

I think the PDGA is an international organization. they have guys on the list from Europe.

I imagine it is like this: alcohol is legal in the US but most parks have signs up saying no alcoholic beverages. You can be cited or arrested for drinking in public/public intoxication. I imagine that in WA and CO they have similar rules for the newly legal substances. so if you are doing something that is not allowed in a public park you are still breaking the law.

Or to go the next logical step, smoking cigs is legal everywhere if you're over 18, but not within the PDGA rules for sanctioned events, unless I misunderstand the rule. Meaning the illegality may not be the only consideration for the PDGA.....?

Edit: Even cigs aren't legal 'everywhere,' I meant mostly legal in every state...just not inside.

Last edited:
Or to go the next logical step, smoking cigs is legal everywhere if you're over 18, but not within the PDGA rules for sanctioned events, unless I misunderstand the rule. Meaning the illegality may not be the only consideration for the PDGA.....?

Edit: Even cigs aren't legal 'everywhere,' I meant mostly legal in every state...just not inside.

A lot of public parks also ban smoking within park boundaries. I think this is more image related than anything. If you want the sport on TV you can't have people smoking on camera.

Until the newer generation starting with an inshape Tiger and now players like Rory golf was ridiculed for its Cigar smoking overweight players. Mickleson man boobs, John Lehman rolly poleyness. You want to be considered an athletic sport, you have to act a certain way. The rules committee is a good step towards building our image and brand.

Many of the same people ( pro's) who write pages and pages about growing the sport through sponsorship, forcing Am's pro, rules changes, won't even do the work to clean up their appearance a little and turn their back to the drugs, alcohol, rules violations, and shenanigans.

Similarly, the Pro's who complain about not playing on golf course'esque courses or maintenance issues but then don't do the work to build and maintain them and then participate in tournaments where the local club has to pay out over 100% of the take to attract them...leaving little for said course improvements. I'd prefer to play a tournament Am, win a trophy (maybe) and leave the money with the local club for DG expansion.

When any of the 2 groups of people/pros rant about rules or how DG will grow, I give little attention to it, because they aren't doing their part when they can. Sneaking off to smoke between rounds or run down courses on facebook does nothing for the game.

Ripped jean shorts aren't banned anywhere in the US. See what happens if you come to my work in them. Its about protecting the corporate image and brand. Smoking and drinking has a negative conotation and I have no problem with it being banned from events if the PDGA deems it important for the strength of their brand.

don't forget Craig "the Walrus" Stadler!

They looked run down, but I've seen stories on some of the old guys like Nicholas and Palmer and Player. People that knew them said they won at every sport they played and were athletic beasts for their time, regardless of how they look now compared to modern athletes.

What if you play in a tournament after being suspended but didn't know you were suspended? Would this warrant a longer suspension?

that is true of most professional athletes. They are just naturals in the purest sense of the word. It remains to be seen with DG but I'm sure it would hold up.

What if you play in a tournament after being suspended but didn't know you were suspended? Would this warrant a longer suspension?

If you didn't know of your suspension, then you ignored multiple forms of communication.

I agree it's dumb that people smoke anything in a sanctioned round. Especially when there are ingestable alternatives for those who use it as a medication.

IThe reason the PDGA has to do this is image control. It's one thing for someone to say we are potheads, but it's another thing for someone to be arrested with enough pot to clearly be selling and the PDGA to not do anything about it

WHAT? it is far worse that 80% (give or take) are pot heads in our sport. That is litterally one of the biggest issues facing disc golf. Im will ing to wager more than 50% of the top pros "partake".
Hey, im not hating on anyone for doing that, but i dont wanna here a pro talk about image and then blaze up with AMs on the dg course.

WHAT? it is far worse that 80% (give or take) are pot heads in our sport. That is litterally one of the biggest issues facing disc golf. Im will ing to wager more than 50% of the top pros "partake".
Hey, im not hating on anyone for doing that, but i dont wanna here a pro talk about image and then blaze up with AMs on the dg course.

Not sure what you are saying, but in general I think I agree?

Not sure what you are saying, but in general I think I agree?

i just see that we have everything in place to make this sport huge, but the image and the pros stuck in the 70's era is killing us

pros in other sports dont care about getting in trouble because they got millions in the bank, our sport is alot more fragile (in terms of marketing), we need professionals in every sense of the word to make this thing a sport instead of a national hobby or joke to some ppl

Personally I find the term pothead as offensive and bull****. Just because somebody enjoys marijuana doesn't mean they're some idiot hippy.

I guarantee a lot of you throwing that term around drink alcohol or take pills or use a number of other drugs that are legal like caffeine or nicotine. Just because society had been duped in to believing these legal drugs are better or more acceptable than marijuana shouldn't give you the right to degrade another human being for simply choosing a different vice. It just makes you a hypocrite and doesn't do anything to help fix the image of our sport.

If people within our sport are using those terms to describe each other how is that going to look from the outside? A lot of golfers drink away from the course do you constantly refer to them as alcoholics? Do we go around saying disc golf has an alcoholism problem because the way you label it we do.

Nobody should go around blatantly using any drug in a public park but what people do away from the course is not your business.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts