• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[PDGA Major] Champions Cup 2024

@CD-

Eagle Member
2024 PDGA Champions Cup
25-Apr to 28-Apr-2024
4 rounds at Northwood Black course @ Northwood Park in Morton, IL
PDGA event page
Caddy book

Field size of 144 (96 MPO, 48 FPO) with an invite list based on 2023 Elite series finishes. This makes Champions Cup one of the most difficult tournaments to get registered for. Lowest current registered is ~990 for MPO and ~875 for FPO.

Usually the tour visits Peoria/Morton for Ledgestone later in the summer Midwest swing of the Pro tour so I'm curious what the Northwood Black course will look like in mid Spring. [COLOR=var(--text)]Uncertain of any changes to the course from the Ledgestone '23 layout at this time. Missy Gannon and Cole Redalen each won Ledgestone '23 and each shot a hot round at Northwood Black for their respective divisions.[/COLOR]

Historically, Northwood Black DGC has some of the largest backups on tour due to the challenging woods holes and rough off the fairways with MPO/FPO fields playing on different days for Ledgestone. With the limited field all playing the same course the same days this may still be an issue even with FPO playing a shorter layout ahead of MPO. There was no field cut made in the 2023 Champions Cup.

2023 Champions Cup was the same weekend but at the W.R. Jackson Course @ IDGC
FPO Winner: Kristin Tattar
MPO Winner: Isaac Robinson

Some additional detail on the mixed Black/Gold layout being used for Champions Cup. It will not be the standard Black layout used for Ledgestone the past years

Some additional detail on the mixed Black/Gold layout being used for Champions Cup. It will not be the standard Black layout used for Ledgestone the past years

cliff notes? assuming they are changing layout to allow more spectators.

As an MA40 player, I had a C2 look (I missed) for 4 from the short tees with a perfect drive, flex to the top of the hill, then mediocre upshot that faded a little too much so was in the trees on the left. IMHO, a par 5 for the pros from the longs isn't crazy, but is only doable IF the tee shot traverses the significantly challenging initial gaps. I'm still unsure if 'averages' should be used to establish changes to par.

cliff notes? assuming they are changing layout to allow more spectators.
4 holes from the Northwood Gold layout from the '19 Peoria Worlds in place of 4 holes from the Northwood Black layout. Holes 3-5 Black replaced due to springtime wetness/muddy conditions in the woods sloping near a creek. Hole 18 Black replaced with the more open hole 18 from the Gold layout to allow more spectators & maybe mud as well for hole 18 Black.

The Upshot podcast interviewed Heinold as well here with some added details/questions

Its a par 6? I dunno. Yet to see a good par 5 I guess...

2023 Ledgestone

https://udisclive.com/live/ledgestone2023/3?t=courseStats&d=MPO
R2 - Hole 12 = 6.15
R3 - Hole 12 = 6.68 - 26% of the field got a +3 or more on the hole, 24% +2. Half the field scored at least a 7.

2022 Ledgestone
https://udisclive.com/live/ledgestone2022/2?t=courseStats&d=MPO
R2 - 6.37
R3 - 6.18

2019 Worlds
https://udisclive.com/live/proworlds2019/4?t=courseStats&d=MPO
R2 - Hole 12 - 6.62 - 52% with a score of 7 or higher.
R2 - Hole 12 - 6.48 48% with a score of 7 or higher.

Looks like rain for sure on Friday and Saturday has a good chance.

Better shoot good on Thursday and Sunday.

I'll be heading over there tonight. I plan to catch an early FPO card to get the feel of the course, but might skip the MPO action tomorrow and play one of the local courses in the afternoon. I have the rain gear and umbrella, so will be out there rain or shine. Any idea when the cards will be announced?