• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA need to get in bed with a sponsor like Red Bull

A friend of mine from high school is the COO of Pabst (they own Redbull). Have been mulling over talking to him about disc golf

I call..... in know way and a Google search does Pabst own Red Bull. They have a drink called Pabst Red Bull, but in no way do they own Red Bull proper. That would be Dietrich Mateschitz who owns the company. If they own anything, it might be distribution rights in their area.

JC you've been playing nearly as long as I have, so you know you first dig at me is not true. Budwesier, when they were first coming out with Bud Light was THE corporate sponsor for the golf portion of the World Frisbee Championships for many years, and you can still find Budwesier stamped discs on eBay and elsewhere. Conversely, right when Climo was starting his monster run, Wendy's, the corporate entity, NOT a local franchise, sponsored several disc golf and ultimate Frisbee tournaments, including a large tier in with their kids meals. So trying to belittle me when I put out two solid examples doesn't work.

My intent wasn't to "dig" at anyone or call anyone out. I don't doubt that there are examples of corporate sponsorship in our past like you point out. But I'd also bet that a lot of those were centered on disc players who "knew a guy who knew a guy in the company who had enough pull throw some sponsorship at an event". The sponsorships probably died out as much because the "inside" connection dried up as it was that the sport was deemed unworthy of support. In other words, it wasn't a case of the companies deciding to pull their support so much as whoever had been asking them stopped asking for whatever reason.

The Wendys one is an interesting example. From what I understand, Wendys (corporate) was involved with sponsoring events in Ohio and neighboring areas...such as 1991 Worlds in Dayton and the Ohio State Championships. Ohio, of course, being where their corporate HQ is located. Good chance that was someone who either worked there or knew someone who worked there that was able to grease the wheels on sponsorship. That the relationship between Wendys and disc dried up could be a matter of someone left the company or the player with the inside hook-up left the area or the sport and thus the connection disappeared.

My larger point being that it isn't as simple as the PDGA powers that be writing some letters or making some phone calls and bringing a big corporate sponsor or two or three on board, as the OP was suggesting should happen. It has been and likely will be for a while going forward all about individual players/enthusiasts using any connection they have to secure any type of sponsorship they can for the sport. Whether that's schmoozing a casual acquaintance who happens to be a big-wig at a big corporation or hitting up your old high school buddy who's now managing the local sandwich shop down the street from a course.

Little things become big things, but they do need to be nurtured.

I don't know what you're talking about, Andy when it comes to Wendy's. It was an Ohio local thing and never any more than that. If you want to claim it was bigger you will have to provide more than the stamps are on a few discs.

I was around and very active at that time in Ohio. You can ask Steve Wisecup or Slate Paul about the Wendy's deal, they would know better than you or I but I'm 90% sure it was no more than what JC described.

(I took 10% off because it was over 2 decades ago and I'm old) :)

New Balance was an official sponsor of a local event here a couple years ago.

It was exactly as JC described. It was either a disc golfer or someone very close to a disc golfer in the tourney that actually worked for New Balance and managed to grab some nice swag for CTP prizes.

How about Doritos?

Imagine if disc golfers LOVED Doritos. So many DGers eating Doritos that it was commonly discussed. People trying to set themselves apart from the Doritos-loving majority, because they're not like that. So many DGers eating Doritos that some of us worry about the public thinking we're all a bunch of Doritos eaters, rather than the prime sportsmen we obviously are. What if the rise in popularity of DG was matched only by the rise and public acceptance of Doritos.

Also imagine that Doritos have been illegal for most of their history, and are on the verge of nationwide legalization. In this scenario Doritos is the biggest cash-earning chip in places where it's legal. Doritos has some money to spend when its market goes from 2 states to 50.

This is just a hypothetical about the end of prohibition and its effect on marketing trends. Of Doritos.

That would be Busch Light or Budweiser.

Always something awful.

You never see a Stella bottle laying on the ground.

PBR is pretty awful, I definitely would take Budweiser over it (Bud Light still sucks).

Stella isn't much better ;) it's just expensive cheap beer.

Now if there were local and/or microbreweries sponsoring then that would be totally awesome. A case of delicious beer for the winner? Sounds good to me.

I have said for many years that the Professional tour needs to get Energy Drink Money! They have DEEP pockets

The hate is just pouring out today.

IMO spectators come before sponsers. Once we get a gallery the sponsers will come and wreck our sport. The great game of disc golf will be let out of the bag and we will be over run by people.

This could lead to better tournaments, courses, and hardware but at what cost?

I love the game as it is. Lets say we have 50,000 active dg'ers in the world. Can you imagine what the courses would look like with double that? I like the slow steady growth from the ground up that we have right now.

One day we will see tee times, fees, huge payouts, and groupies(maybe) but lets focus on building our raft before the flood comes. We still have way to many issues to iron out before we need to be on tv.

Imagine if disc golfers LOVED Doritos. So many DGers eating Doritos that it was commonly discussed. People trying to set themselves apart from the Doritos-loving majority, because they're not like that. So many DGers eating Doritos that some of us worry about the public thinking we're all a bunch of Doritos eaters, rather than the prime sportsmen we obviously are. What if the rise in popularity of DG was matched only by the rise and public acceptance of Doritos.

Also imagine that Doritos have been illegal for most of their history, and are on the verge of nationwide legalization. In this scenario Doritos is the biggest cash-earning chip in places where it's legal. Doritos has some money to spend when its market goes from 2 states to 50.

This is just a hypothetical about the end of prohibition and its effect on marketing trends. Of Doritos.

:D :thmbup:

Munchies_Totally_Ranch.gif

This happens quite a bit in VT.
Oh yea? I might have to make a trip up there! I know Vermont has some really good craft beers... as well as Ben and Jerry's! :thmbup:

The hate is just pouring out today.

IMO spectators come before sponsers. Once we get a gallery the sponsers will come and wreck our sport. The great game of disc golf will be let out of the bag and we will be over run by people.

This could lead to better tournaments, courses, and hardware but at what cost?

I love the game as it is. Lets say we have 50,000 active dg'ers in the world. Can you imagine what the courses would look like with double that? I like the slow steady growth from the ground up that we have right now.

One day we will see tee times, fees, huge payouts, and groupies(maybe) but lets focus on building our raft before the flood comes. We still have way too many issues to iron out before we need to be on tv.
Can you elaborate on that? Because I think that if they show beach soccer on TV then they could easily show disc golf on TV. There are many fringe sports that somehow get air time. I still don't understand how they determine Olympic events but by god if they can put Hand Ball and Curling into the Olympics then perhaps Disc Golf will get there some day! :D

...wishful thinking.

Can you elaborate on that? Because I think that if they show beach soccer on TV then they could easily show disc golf on TV. There are many fringe sports that somehow get air time.

Sponsors are betting their bucks that more people will watch beach soccer (or whatever) than disc golf.

The Olympics have a somewhat different standard, involving, among other things, how many countries have national organizations, championships, or somesuch. With more than a touch of politics involved.

Red Bull eyeing Footgolf so players will run faster and get more paying customers through the course in a day.

Did you know that Nacho Cheese Doritos light on fire really well?

For realz. Try it.

I'm not kidding.

Oh yea? I might have to make a trip up there! I know Vermont has some really good craft beers... as well as Ben and Jerry's! :thmbup:

Can you elaborate on that? Because I think that if they show beach soccer on TV then they could easily show disc golf on TV. There are many fringe sports that somehow get air time. I still don't understand how they determine Olympic events but by god if they can put Hand Ball and Curling into the Olympics then perhaps Disc Golf will get there some day! :D

...wishful thinking.

1. Rules officials on every card. Relying on player umps is a joke.

2. Clean up the courses. Can you imagine how many courses would get pulled if we were put in the spotlight.

3. Figure out the issue with the Ada.

4. More strict guidelines for how a course should be installed.

I could go on all night but these are some of the majors off the top of my head.

Red Bull supports professional gaming. Over the past couple of years they have really thrown some serious money at tournaments and individual player sponsorship.

Disc Golf is right up their alley. They LOVE niche sports/games/events.

But mostly they LOVE sports with spectators.

red bull is poison

Man, this is just simple truth.

But mostly they LOVE sports with spectators.
spectators or not, they also love being on the cutting edge and getting their claws into whatever their competition might be eyeing.

energy drinks, poison or not, are exactly the kind of sponsors that will throw money at a 'sport' like this.

i guarantee if mcbeth or any other top tier pro posted here tomorrow about obtaining a sponsorship with monster, redbull, NOS, etc..... the circle-jerk would be unstoppable.

Latest posts