• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA NT: 2019 Las Vegas Challenge

Attached are some charts showing how the holes performed during the first three rounds for the finalists in MPO.

The first shows the hole's correlation to ratings plotted against the hole's scoring spread. Up and right is generally better. The size of the dot represents the average score. It's generally easier for holes with higher average scores (bigger dots) to have better correlations and wider scoring spreads.

NN is Innova 2019, NF is Infinite, FS is Innova Factory Store.

attachment.php

The second set of graphs shows details for the extreme holes. Each chart is the scores the hole gave out as a function of rating. Each line represents the percent of players who got that score or lower.

attachment.php

Attachments

• XRaysLVC.jpg
    XRaysLVC.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 352
  • LVCCvSSW.png
    LVCCvSSW.png
    50.4 KB · Views: 355
Random thoughts...

Thankful for the final round drama, because the courses and holes blend together for me and I could barely watch the earlier rounds. Congrats to "Heimborg" (go rewatch 2015 Worlds live coverage to get that reference).

Yay! Onto the Memorial. Another snooze.

Jomez, I love the hole by hole score tracker on the bottom of the screen, but all the other stats and graphics are a bit busy. Information overload. And the music is awful. I thought I was about to watch a corporate training video. I am also very over Big Sexy commentary. Koling is just not my guy.

McBeth's putting was awful. Obviously he had a good run to get on lead card and must have made some putts, but remember 4-5 years ago when he made everything? It's been downhill from there (injuries, form changes, I get it). Hope he settles into the Luna or starts bagging some old McPro's. He's not going to win anything with all these guys around if he can't dial it in.

I know Innova treats the players right at the tourneys they host, so I hope the player's enjoyed it, but these courses are awful. They do the best they can with the property, I guess, but this event definitely supports the "disc golf is not spectator friendly" crowd.

On a scale of 1 snooZe to 10, I give this 8 Zzzzzzs.

Is this the first time two (2) DD men's players have ever finished in the top 8 of an NT? This could be Oakley's breakout year possibly. I do not know him or Melton but they both seem like super approachable and nice guys and hard to root against but I do love the Oakley diving for discs memes.

Is this the first time two (2) DD men's players have ever finished in the top 8 of an NT? This could be Oakley's breakout year possibly. I do not know him or Melton but they both seem like super approachable and nice guys and hard to root against but I do love the Oakley diving for discs memes.

Zach overheard one of my camera guys complaining about freezing hands on Thursday and immediately hooked him up with a hand warmer. A++ dude right there Eric too for the record.

Jomez coverage was really great. I love the graphics this year with the little dots, especially opposed to last year's graphics. I have no problems with the music, either.

Agree that the three courses blended into one indistinguishable 'blah' after awhile, especially after four rounds of multiple cards of MPO and FPO. But thanks to Jomez for covering the FPO!!

BigSexy's commentary was fine, but I would really love it if they found a way to know what discs were thrown so that they could tell us viewers. Ian of CCDG seems to be able to do this.

Speaking of Ian, CCDG's coverage was awesome as well. And the music is fine, even though I'd love it if you found a way to bring back that old rap song (I know, I know, legal and copyright issues...).

Jomez final round, hole 5, Calvin's second shot, he kicks his marker disc several feet down the fairway, nobody notices.

Even so, when it happens live, it can be tough to say if the disc left his hand before that happened, or not. Could be that the pivot of the plant foot was what did it. Likely if he plants on the mini full on, he would slip and it would show.

I would like to watch Oakley rush (8 down through 9 or so) on video. Is there coverage of it? It was third or fourth round and probably third or fourth card. Watching Eagle's hot round would be nice as well. Jomez had the lead cards, CCDG the chase cards. Did others cover lower cards?

I would like to watch Oakley rush (8 down through 9 or so) on video. Is there coverage of it? It was third or fourth round and probably third or fourth card. Watching Eagle's hot round would be nice as well. Jomez had the lead cards, CCDG the chase cards. Did others cover lower cards?

Gatekeeper media had 3rd card coverage. It said they would be "next week" vids.

Jomez final round, hole 5, Calvin's second shot, he kicks his marker disc several feet down the fairway, nobody notices.

Looks as though he kicks it when his foot pivots around his heel and the disc is already out of his hands. This is apparent when watching it at .25 speed, which indicates to me that it's too bang-bang to realistically try to call in real time even if the contact did happen prior to the release of the disc. This should go to the throw in question.

Enforcement rules say that calls should be made when one clearly occurs. I don't think this is clear in any way, so a no-call is reasonable. There are plenty of more blatant missed calls to point to in various tournaments, this one doesn't belong on the list.

Random thoughts...

Thankful for the final round drama, because the courses and holes blend together for me and I could barely watch the earlier rounds. Congrats to "Heimborg" (go rewatch 2015 Worlds live coverage to get that reference).

Yay! Onto the Memorial. Another snooze.

Jomez, I love the hole by hole score tracker on the bottom of the screen, but all the other stats and graphics are a bit busy. Information overload. And the music is awful. I thought I was about to watch a corporate training video. I am also very over Big Sexy commentary. Koling is just not my guy.

McBeth's putting was awful. Obviously he had a good run to get on lead card and must have made some putts, but remember 4-5 years ago when he made everything? It's been downhill from there (injuries, form changes, I get it). Hope he settles into the Luna or starts bagging some old McPro's. He's not going to win anything with all these guys around if he can't dial it in.

I know Innova treats the players right at the tourneys they host, so I hope the player's enjoyed it, but these courses are awful. They do the best they can with the property, I guess, but this event definitely supports the "disc golf is not spectator friendly" crowd.

On a scale of 1 snooZe to 10, I give this 8 Zzzzzzs.

Worst. Episode. Ever.

Right?

https://youtu.be/GtdEeI-B21A

Use the period and comma keys to go frame by frame in YouTube.

Thanks. Theres a frame where the shadow of the disc has separated from the shadow of the arm and the disc on the ground has not moved yet. Debatable if the shoe is in contact without moving it. But again, if were going frame by frame, impossible for it to be called in real time.

Latest posts