• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA Smoking Ban

Do you Agree with the PDGA ban on smoking at majors?

• Yes

Votes: 67 63.2%
  • No

Votes: 39 36.8%

• Total voters
I guess the responsibility of freedom is too much for some people. Just because something is legal doesn't mean everyone will run out and do it.

Yes, thank God there are laws against heroin otherwise we'd all be hopelessly addicted to it right now! :wall:

I can legally smoke cigarettes and drink alcohol and yet I somehow managed to do neither in my 27 years of living.

I don't understand your logic one bit. Just because someone like Ron Paul doesn't think it is right for an authoritarian government to arrest old ladies with cancer who use marijuana to relieve their pain or to SWAT team people who produce raw milk doesn't mean that he wants everyone shooting up with heroin.

He just happens to not be consistent in believing that you have a right to your own body, whether you do bad things to it or not.

Laws can't force good habits, otherwise no one would be addicted to such substances. He actually has compassion and doesn't think you should throw someone into federal prison just because they made a bad decision about what to put into their own body and treat them medically for addiction.

Wow, what a kook!

:confused:
You thank 'the unspeakable' for laws against heroin, then scold me for opposing Ron Paul's desire to legalize it.

I can see why you do not understand my logic.

Will you guys STFU about Ron Paul?

Yea, what's with these people and Ron"Legalize Heroin"Paul people. :wall:

They should rather try and enforce some no-weed policy for smaller tournaments. Smoking cigarets is legal, last tiome i checked.

As a long time smoker who just recently made the jump to e cigs, and now has an extra $100+ a week because of it :D, here's my two cents.
Banning smoking in majors: the pdga, like any entity, has to always consider their image first and foremost. Banning smoking at majors makes sense from this standpoint. In this day and age you don't want to showcase your stars doing anything that's not pc. I would hate to be playing in the most stressful tournaments our sport has to offer and not have the option to inhale some of that sweet stress relieving cancer, but if its helping my sport become more accepted then so be it, I can wait a few hours.
Smoking in smaller tournaments: I think there should be two deciding factors here, the park rules and card decision. I've played tournaments at parks where smoking was not permitted so I just smoked in my car before and after rounds. I've also played tournaments where I was the only smoker on my card so as a courtesy to the other 3 people I just waited til the round was over. Being a 3 pack a day Newport smoker this wasn't exactly easy but I survived, my game didn't suffer either.
Idk, I get where the pdga is coming from with a ban on tobacco products simply because its 2011 and probably the least pc thing one can do is smoke. But being a small obscure sport that basically gets all of its support from its players I think they would be wise to gently transition to their pc dream. I mean let's face it a lot of us disc golfers smoke, smoke herb, drink, and we're basically the sole means of income for our governing body so you probably dont want to alienate us.
I personally feel that as long as park rules and your card don't have a problem with smoking then by all means puff away, but my opinion is biased.

I personally feel that as long as park rules and your card don't have a problem with smoking then by all means puff away, but my opinion is biased.

I will admit, if I was in a tourney with a no smoking ban, and I knew my competitors were smokers, I would make subtle, and not so subtle, hints all day...

Man, that's a drag...

The moderators must be sleeping in late this morning. I thought I had wandered into the rancid cesspool known as the Current Events forum by accident.

Will the 'special smoking area out of the public eye' ever actually be used at a major? Or is this just lip service to the TD who wants a loophole.. Where are the players actually going to go and smoke in between the two minute warning and turning in the scorecard? Could a TD designate "my car" as the special smoking area outside of the public eye? All valid questions IMO!

My best guess for a special smoking area outside of the public eye: a bouncy castle in between holes 13 and 14 on the Toboggan.

Lol. If they're so concerned about that, then they might want to talk to their local manufacturing plants about the infinite number of cigarette equivalent pollution that they chooch out every second.

These people might also want to avoid being near running vehicles...

Heck, they probably shouldn't even start their vehicles. The CO2 generated by starting one car engine is equivalent to smoking 10,000 cig's!! But hey, let's blame cancer on the smoker's - a much easier target than the car manufacturers!!

That crappy website does more PR damage than someone smoking a cig.

I just read the article on pdga.com and do agree with the policy. I am a smoker as well but I think it makes sense for major tournaments. It could be a positive change if managed right. (Meaning if they actually have accessible spots for people to do what they do real quick.)

With that said, I must say I think they just need to re-write the article completely and hope that people just forget about it in 24 hours like everything else. Is this how all the articles are written? In "bloggish" form?

'So it's a big "no no" to go behind a tree or bush and sneak a drag----there will be consequences.'

:doh:

I am a smoker and I have to admit that Am Worlds this year was harder than I thought it would be. Not because I can't go three hours without a smoke, but because of my ritual after a bad hole where I roll a smoke (I handroll tobacco) and smoke it slow. It takes my mind off of things for just long enough to get me back on track. Without my ritual it took me a couple of holes to recover instead of just one. With that said I am OK with this rule. I don't agree with the reasoning behind it at all (anyone who thinks this is going to help launch our sport into the mainstream is very gullible) or like how the PDGA has handled the entire issue, but if there are a couple designated spots along the course then there should not be any issue.

The real reason for this rule coming into play now is how amazingly inconsiderate most smokers are. Of course everyone on this site always picks up their butts and never blows smoke in another players face :rolleyes:. But really if you are outside it is very easy to have a smoke without effecting anyone else. Stand down wind, lag behind the group when walking between holes, just generally be conscious of where your smoke is blowing.

So how many smokers are going to push this rule by having an unlit cigarette/cigar in their mouth during the round? Only smoking is against the ban, but can a player get DQ'ed for carrying smokes with him? Seems I remember an issue with a high-profile player in another sport making the news by doing this.

If you cancel your membership be nice to Sara when you do it. She has nothing to do with this crap and shouldn't be a target of your ire.

:)

you will get courtesy warnings for having visible banned items. 2nd warnings equal strokes, then dqs.

^ Are you serious? That's almost more ridiculous than the ban itself.

My biggest issue is that we didn't have a direct vote, but were told to vote for leaders in the elections that supported our views.

ONE (1) person on our list of candidates views even mentioned smoking. The more I think about it, the more it pisses me off.

Again: During the Ams, there was nobody watching. There was no media, outside of that tool in the ponytail. The GRDGC set up a media day before the tourney where we were supposed to play doubles with the reporters.

Not one media outlet showed. We looked really cool in our nice polos playin' with ourselves.

Smoking ain't the problem. This is PC BS, and I HATE bein' PC for the sake of bein' PC. Especially when I'm given a line about voting my opinion, and then railroaded so the PDGA can look dapper when nobody's watching, or in a best case scenario, when we're being ridiculed on tv.

I quit smoking 6 months ago, so I fortunately won't be feeling the overwhelming sense of anxiety that a lot of smokers get when they can't get their fix. Trust me, when I did smoke, I had several rituals to calm my nerves that revolved around lighting up a cig. I can understand the reasoning that the PDGA is trying to employ, but I don't understand their complete lack of flexibility. There are several alternatives to actually smoking a cig that a smoker could use to keep from going crazy during their round...and NONE of them are allowed? Come on! There are SNUS packets, for one. They are completely incognito and don't require any spitting. How is it possible that this is considered a violation? How about nicotine patches or gum? Once again, not allowed. Seriously, WTF? It won't make the smoking faction completely satisfied, but just allowing a couple of covert alternatives would go a long way in gaining the support of them. Just saying...

I think the next major that I play in, if ever, I will be sporting a "chew toy" that will look uncannily familiar to a cigarette hanging out of my mouth. I may even hold it like a cig when it is not hanging out of my mouth. Go ahead, PDGA, let's start an argument over that...

Last edited:
What we as players should try to do is petition one of the larger tobacco manufacturers to sponser some events....If Marlboro or Newport sponsered a Major, then would smoking be legal on the course an not just at some designated area?

This is great, even if someone on my card is being 'careful' not to let their smoke bother me, it always manages to eventually and even a whiff makes me feel sick and makes me lose focus on my shots. This is much needed.

Latest posts