• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA# tie breaker

txmxer

* Ace Member *
Should go away. Particularly on the pro side, but really everywhere. It's a ridiculous tie breaker that nobody controls but gives advantage repeatedly.

Should go away. Particularly on the pro side, but really everywhere. It's a ridiculous tie breaker that nobody controls but gives advantage repeatedly.

1.09 Ties
Last updated: Monday, February 21, 2022 - 10:23

Between rounds when the groups are being reset, tied positions shall be broken. The player with the lowest score in the most recent round shall have the highest ranking when the positions are reset. In the event of ties for lowest score across all previous rounds, the ties shall be broken by the lower PDGA number having the higher ranking amongst the tied players and then alphabetical by last name for any tied players without a PDGA number.

1.09 Ties
Last updated: Monday, February 21, 2022 - 10:23

Between rounds when the groups are being reset, tied positions shall be broken. The player with the lowest score in the most recent round shall have the highest ranking when the positions are reset. In the event of ties for lowest score across all previous rounds, the ties shall be broken by the lower PDGA number having the higher ranking amongst the tied players and then alphabetical by last name for any tied players without a PDGA number.

Okay?

The way I read it is the only time pdga number comes into play is when players have the exact same score in each round

Otherwise it is based on who has lowest score in last round. Did something happen in Portland to make this an issue?

How much of an advantage is it? It's just the difference between being on, say, the 3rd or 4th card in round 2.

And, since the tie has to be broken somehow, what would be better? Alphabetical rewards a characteristic even less deserving than seniority of membership; random is, I'd think, difficult with electronic scoring; last hole scores (in prior round) might be possible in events with tee times but difficult with shotgun starts.

How would you improve on it? It is arbitrary but so will be any other method imo. It is simple and easily understood. Whether it gives an advantage is debatable.

Lowest score on hole 18, if still tied go to 17, 16, etc. At least then it comes down to actual play on the course.

How would you improve on it? It is arbitrary but so will be any other method imo. It is simple and easily understood. Whether it gives an advantage is debatable.

Flip a coin. Heads, low number first, tails high.

How much of an advantage is it? It's just the difference between being on, say, the 3rd or 4th card in round 2.

And, since the tie has to be broken somehow, what would be better? Alphabetical rewards a characteristic even less deserving than seniority of membership; random is, I'd think, difficult with electronic scoring; last hole scores (in prior round) might be possible in events with tee times but difficult with shotgun starts.

I don't know. Why should that be a question is the point.

I don't know. Why should that be a question is the point.

Why should what be the question?

If there is no advantage, then the solution to the necessary tiebreaker is simple and clear, which is all that's needed.

I don't know for sure, but I would guess making the lead card at the pro level could have sponsor incentives.

The "advantage" to getting on better cards may have financial implications.

It sounds like a guy with a high PDGA number would prefer a different arbitrary system that benefits him? A low PDGA number offers ME entitlement. I say leave it alone.

Exactly!

It really doesn't impact me in any meaningful way. But for MPO/FPO pro tour it's kind of cheesy.

And yes, I could see it making a difference at that level. Might be a hindrance or it might help. It certainly means sponsor visibility.

Is it an advantage? Is it not?

I'd think very miniscule, at best.

This almost exclusively affects Round 2, and then only players who are tied and not landing on the same card regardless. It's pretty rare for 2 players to score the same in both Rounds 1 & 2, and have to be separated for Round 3.

I suppose that at elite events, it could be argued that being on the lead or chase card for Round 2 makes a tiny bit of difference in publicity. Though it's Round 2, not the final round where most of the attention is. But I don't see where it's a difference between landing on, say, the 5th or 6th card, nor for divisions not followed by streaming media or galleries, or at the 98% of events that are lower tiers.

In my mind, it hardly justifies a need to change the grouping tiebreaker system.

and when more than 2 people are involved?

The fact that Live Scoring can simply spit out the groups with no action needed on the part of the staff is also a benefit of the current setup.

The order for ties is either high to low or low to high. Coin flip makes it truly arbitrary.

It sounds like a guy with a high PDGA number would prefer a different arbitrary system that benefits him? A low PDGA number offers ME entitlement. I say leave it alone.

If you are remotely serious, your post serves as evidence that it is a bad system.

Latest posts