• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA# tie breaker

FWIW a friend of mine who's sponsored by Kasta made the lead card a few weeks ago in FPO, she's a great golfer and great person. A seasoned veteran and a solid cool headed contender. She was remarking that she needs more practice on camera and lead card, she felt some extra pressure and didn't play to her potential.

Seems like it's as fair a way to do it as any and the least complicated at that. In theory the longer someone has been playing the more likely that they will be able to handle the pressure of being lead card. A local phenom melt down is probably more likely than a older PDGA member, which could conceivably be a detriment to the other contenders on the card with pace of play.

So not only is it not broken, I feel like it is the fairest method with the most logically positive outcome.

...I tend to favor TD flexibility, particularly with waivers/advanced notice. So I'd have no problem with a system at top-tier events, for the top 2 or 3 cards, changing the tie-breaker to most recent holes in the previous round. Among other things, it would be few enough players to not be much effort, and with one round per day there'd be no rush at lunch to sort it out.

One problem with a blanket-statement of "TD flexibility" is that you lose control over objectivity. Give the TD too much flexibility and you'll get accused of favoritism for putting your buddy on lead card and the guy you don't like on chase card. PDGA number at least is objective.

---

Until the last couple of years, most tournaments were run on paper or spreadsheets. In a spreadsheet, you can just click sort-sort-sort and be done with it. You could turn around next round groups in a matter of minutes by just sorting your columns properly. If you had to break out the scorecards for every single tie, you wouldn't get groups turned around in time (you'd have to do it for intra-card ties as well to see who tees first).

With more technology and more data, I suppose it's possible to do things differently. Most birdies in the previous round? Score on 18, going backward? Score on 1, going forward? (If it's a shotgun, then hole scores loses its meaning a bit.)

But since we use PDGA number, maybe we just need to give Simon a number more fitting with his actual time of signup instead of the 8000-club.

One problem with a blanket-statement of "TD flexibility" is that you lose control over objectivity. Give the TD too much flexibility and you'll get accused of favoritism for putting your buddy on lead card and the guy you don't like on chase card. PDGA number at least is objective.

That's why I included "...particularly with waiver/advance notice."

I don't think TDs should be free to do whatever they want; I just think waivers should be granted where reasonable. A TD requesting to break grouping ties by another method (and not just his or her whims) might be one.

The grouping rules work both ways. They prevent a TD from injecting favoritism....and protect a TD from requests for favoritism. I've always appreciated the latter, being able to tell people "I can't" without having to consider their requests.

LOL.

Y'all act like a tie breaker based on something from actual play is rocket surgery.

On the one hand, I hear--it doesn't matter, then it would be a practical impossibility, then it works perfectly as is, any other system would require an AI to evaluate the tie breaker, etc.

Given the amount of comments/replies and the intensity and certainty of the responses that an arbitrary and biased method is best, it is apparent that using the PDGA # sucks and the defenders actually see it is a much bigger issue than I do.

You could use something as basic as when the individual signed up for the particular event. Same type of manipulation, but it would at least be related to the event. Ehh...maybe that's too complicated.

In the end it's all about the least amount of work (in the field possibly without a computer) and an easily obtainable number for ranking order of cards.

No one wants to do quantum calculations on their lunch break. However the Simon point is swaying me :D I always want to see more of him.

Perhaps a wild card spot on a chase card or a pre-approved method could be used for TDs concerned about this... allowing them to manipulate the card their way as long as it was stated pre tournament.

Last edited:
Do the pros (whom this may be the most impactful to) get any kind of monetary incentives for the higher cards? I could see that being a legit issue with some of them.

Much ado about.... no thing.

The sport already uses the scores from the previous hole to determine tee order. This seems like a pretty logical extension of that. I see no issue with using PDGA # to break a tie within a tie.

If a player gets their panties in a bunch over who is placed on which card in the event of their scores being tied at the end of a round, maybe they should put in a bit more putting practice, or shouldn't have thrown OB. Chances are they left a stroke somewhere on the course.

This is not something that needs fixing.

LOL.

Y'all act like a tie breaker based on something from actual play is rocket surgery.

On the one hand, I hear--it doesn't matter, then it would be a practical impossibility, then it works perfectly as is, any other system would require an AI to evaluate the tie breaker, etc.

Given the amount of comments/replies and the intensity and certainty of the responses that an arbitrary and biased method is best, it is apparent that using the PDGA # sucks and the defenders actually see it is a much bigger issue than I do.

You could use something as basic as when the individual signed up for the particular event. Same type of manipulation, but it would at least be related to the event. Ehh...maybe that's too complicated.

If anything (and I don't advocate for this either the current is fine with me), a computerized RANDOM selection might be better (as a rule) than anything I've seen suggested herein. Coin flips, RPS, and six-sided dice, all imply the player has to be present. Not a good idea-- and you'll see why in my first example below.

OK, I am going to give the counter - arguments. In a tee-time event, the players finishing might be 2- 3 hours apart. Do you make every competitor in the top two-three cards hang around or be available on phone close by in case of a tie. At PDXO, Carter Ahrens was already in the clubhouse at -8 on day 1 when the broadcast came on. The feature card didn't tee off for another 25 minutes. And it is my understanding he'd been finished for at least 30-45 minutes. so Carter was at least 5 1/2 hours ahead of them time wise. So when the four others all finish tied in the lead at -8 (perhaps some 6 hours later if you account for double checking before scores are finally submitted), you want him to come back to tourney HQ or Skype for a coin flip or something else? Seems senseless to me. If I were him there were so many other things to do, health and hydration, wellness options, extra practice, etc. -- not waiting around for a "tiebreaker just to see who is on lead card."

And last hole doesn't work at shotgun start events, because not every player will have the same last hole. And doing it by hole number isn't fairer either, because they may have played those holes at different times.

I don't think that going to lowest PDGA number a few years ago was intended to be "fair" or intended to "get people to join PDGA", either. It was simply an administrative tool that TDs had that was readily available, that like, as some said, eliminated any claims of favoritism. Because I do remember the days, as a TD, of us just shuffling the cards and that is how it came about. And even then we got accused of showing favoritism.

So other than some computer generated random (which would also have players waiting), I don't see another way that has the same level of overall effectiveness. After all, the players actually should KNOW their own PDGA number before the round starts and they should GET IT, that is I tie with these people in round one, they'll be "ahead of me in card order and these others I'll be ahead of them.

In ball golf, the first player to post a specific cumulative score as they finish round 2 or 3 gets the top rank order for the next round pairings. After R1, you remain on the same card in R2, just teeing at a different time.

LOL.

My view point is

(1) It has to be decided.
(2) It has virtually no affect on the outcome.
(3) So go with simplicity.

For any effort to make it "fairer", the effort, even small, isn't worth the even-smaller benefit.

Bearing in mind that it's not just a tie between two players being the lead card and chase card, that is at stake. It could be a tie with 11 players with the same scores. Or a bunch of ties up and down the scoreboard.

Now, if the live-scoring system can be programed to use individual hole scores, then it's no effort for the TD, and that's fine. But the rule has to work for those doing manual scoring, too.

As to the impassioned responses and defenses, I'll just point out that someone thought it was a big enough deal to start a thread about it.

sign your kids up now folks, it might get them on lead card someday

Last edited:

---

Until the last couple of years, most tournaments were run on paper or spreadsheets. In a spreadsheet, you can just click sort-sort-sort and be done with it. You could turn around next round groups in a matter of minutes by just sorting your columns properly. If you had to break out the scorecards for every single tie, you wouldn't get groups turned around in time (you'd have to do it for intra-card ties as well to see who tees first).

With more technology and more data, I suppose it's possible to do things differently. Most birdies in the previous round? Score on 18, going backward? Score on 1, going forward? (If it's a shotgun, then hole scores loses its meaning a bit.)

But since we use PDGA number, maybe we just need to give Simon a number more fitting with his actual time of signup instead of the 8000-club.

Just want to start by saying that I see no issue with the current system and any advantage gained by slotting a player on a particular card is debatable.

In this thread, it seems we are using low pdga # to approximate seniority, but that ignores all the 4 digit #s held over for European players. If there was an actual advantage and the intention was to reward seniority, I'd want to switch to something like join date instead of pdga #.

Just want to start by saying that I see no issue with the current system and any advantage gained by slotting a player on a particular card is debatable.

In this thread, it seems we are using low pdga # to approximate seniority, but that ignores all the 4 digit #s held over for European players. If there was an actual advantage and the intention was to reward seniority, I'd want to switch to something like join date instead of pdga #.

Or get an overseas residence before your register for PDGA, eh?

To the folks saying it has almost (or no) impact on the final outcome...I completely agree. ALMOST no impact. There are certainly times competing for a win, or a specific place though, where you'd rather be a card back and see how your competition is doing/has done on a throw before you might have to throw (specifically as we're talking about getting down to the final holes)

The "problem" to me is in large events like the DGPT. Being on lead card regularly might be a significant advantage financially. Seems odd that we just say "if player A & B are tied, we'll give player A the financial advantage every time it happens against player B". Seems particularly dubious when numbers were not handed out in order in all cases.

PDGA number tie breaking works like bag tags, you have to beat the player to earn their tag, not just tie. In this case, it's their card positioning at stake. The international 8000s number block has inadvertently become a form of affirmative action in card assignments when playing in a field of mostly U.S. players.

As to the impassioned responses and defenses, I'll just point out that someone thought it was a big enough deal to start a thread about it.

And the response to that is—no big deal, not worth a debate.

Or maybe, this is dumb.

But that's not the response I got.

And—as stated above, I moderated my position in light of the responses to which you attempted to use my moderation against me, but somehow totally ignored what I said.

In case you are wondering, this is an opinion. It is my opinion. Nobody has to agree. It certainly shouldn't result in any measure of rectal discomfort.