• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA: Why did you join? (or choose not to)

I definitely understand the $10 discount payback if you play more than 5 tournaments throughout the year. What about some of the less tangible benefits? Several responses mentioned "supporting the sport" and one mentioned that the PDGA didn't support it enough or made bad decisions. What should they be doing differently?

Can I get some elaboration on the intangible, warm-fuzzy feeling benefits? (or lack thereof)

The disc, mini, magazine, $10 of tournaments and discounts at hotels, the cool card. I renewed this year so I can be a Tournament Director and Official. :)

Think I'll join this year. Supports the sport, tracks my progress, gets me some deals, and most importantly:

I can tell people that I play "Pro".:D

I was on another DG-related message board a while back (DGRus, as I recall) and I got into a discussion about PDGA memberships with another guy. I took the position that if you supported the activity, you should become part of its governing body: he took the position that the PDGA was a waste of time / money / effort.

This guy was such a d!ck about it that I joined the PDGA just to spite him (and yes, I told him so). I don't actively participate (I've entered exactly one tournament) but I do seem to read every issue of the DG mag until the print falls off.

Hope this helps ...

I joined for the tracking of my stats, the Mag, and because thats what you're suppose to do. I like to play in the World's and Majors.

Worth it even if I don't play 5 or 6+ tournies a year

I don't know if I will ever play a tournament. I joined just to get my name on the PDGA's permanent roster. Something that says 'Look, I played'. Some form of permanence, I guess.

well I signed up today and I basically did it or what mashnut said. I plan to play more tourneys this year and the discount will help the wallet. and the rating will remind me how bad I am at this.

I have a question, let's say I'm a member in 2011 and never renew my membership in 2012 but still play PDGA's.

So, I really stink in 2012 and my ratings average 100 points below the rating I ended 2011 with.

If I rejoin in 2013 will 2012 round ratings be added in?

I have been a member off and on for the past several years. I plan on joining after I get my taxes back. I will be playing 1 pdga before then and if Mooky doesn't include my pdga number on the TD report then those rounds won't be included.

However, I do not believe that the PDGA will go back and add rounds to your rating after the fact. For example, if Mooky submits the TD report and then ratings are updated, if I am not a member by then, my rating won't be updated.

Last edited:
Nope...read my response again.

Let's say you are not a member and you play a pdga this weekend.
The TD submits the TD report in a timely fashion and it includes your pdga number.
A ratings update occurs and includes the tourny you played this weekend.
You renew after the rating update occurs.
The pdga will not go back and look at any tournies that you played that have already been included in the update.

Does that make sense?

I definitely understand the $10 discount payback if you play more than 5 tournaments throughout the year. What about some of the less tangible benefits? Several responses mentioned "supporting the sport" and one mentioned that the PDGA didn't support it enough or made bad decisions. What should they be doing differently?

Can I get some elaboration on the intangible, warm-fuzzy feeling benefits? (or lack thereof)

I want there to be a national organization.

Without one, what have we got. Different rules everywhere, or just common-law rules? Or something different manufacturers put in their discs? No organized tournament schedule, less idea what to expect when entering tournaments. No fairly universal references---list of tournament players, history of worlds championships, etc.---just a whole bunch of different websites with pieces of information. (And, at the time I joined, no internet to speak of! Imagine that disc golf world without an organiztion.) No standards for discs or baskets. Make-up-your-own divisions at every event. Etc.

And no central resource for parks departments to go to when considering putting in a course. I guess they'd get info from manufacturers, but it's not the same.

So I'd much rather have a national organization, and be part of it.

Now, I could rattle off 50 things I don't like about the PDGA. But I also realize the PDGA has to serve many different interests, and the opinions of the membership cover a very wide spectrum. Plus, I've never volunteered for the board or any committee's, so I try to keep my complaints to myself.

But if I started model railroading or raising German goats or playing competitive tiddlywinks, I'd look for a national organization of like-minded folks and join it.

So I see value in having a national organization, and right now the PDGA is it.

Chuck says they track your stats even when you aren't a member, I don't know if that means it gets updated or if it stays steady and you don't have to start over.