• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA: Why did you join? (or choose not to)

Are there any regions where local tournaments hold more pull than PDGA sanctioning? I only know about Kansas City and northern Indiana.

Without a doubt. Down here in Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Arkansas we something call the Southern Nationals.

http://www.sndg.org/

Just as an idea, there will be about 17 sanctioned SNDG tournaments from now until the end of March.

I, like most other players, will save more than $50 a year by not paying the extra $10 fee. Also, the player rating system is the only "true" way of telling how skilled a player you are.

I just signed up yesterday, mainly because I plan on playing several tourneys this year, and don't want to have to pay $10 extra at every one.

you get discounts for travel, discounts for tournaments and the
#1 reason to join - It's great for the sport as it grows

When I first started playing it seemed they diverted a significant amount of the Am purse to the Pros. Then I got put in with some groups that were no fun so I lost interest in tournament play. Things seem better now, when I get healthy I may consider playing some sanctioned events

Are there any regions where local tournaments hold more pull than PDGA sanctioning? I only know about Kansas City and northern Indiana.
From where do you get that local tournaments in Kansas City have more pull than PDGA sanctioning? Most of the tournaments with a larger attendance there happen to be sanctioned, just like they are anywhere else.

If you are a "serious" disc golfer (i.e playing tournaments alot) then its a smart idea to sign up. For tournament fees, you have to pay an extra $10 for PDGA sanctioned tournaments if you are not a member. So if you play more than 5 or 6 PDGA sanctioned tournaments a year it pays for itself. Like AP said above too, some hotels give you discounts if you show them your PDGA membership card. I have heard...

^^this:thmbup:

I joined at first just so I could get my rating and I knew I was going to play more than 5 sanctioned tournaments.

I now renew because I want to support the professional organization.

From where do you get that local tournaments in Kansas City have more pull than PDGA sanctioning? Most of the tournaments with a larger attendance there happen to be sanctioned, just like they are anywhere else.
I meant that I'm familiar with those scenes and they generally push PDGA sanctioned events. I was asking if there is someplace where you aren't expected to join up when you start getting better.

Everybody supports the sport, if your definition is just to play once a week. What do you do to "support the sport locally"? Are there legitimate tournaments that you could play in your area or do you not get the opportunity? I understand that you can play well on your own but does the adrenaline and accomplishment of being on the lead card or doing well in tournament not entice you at all?

I joined late October 2010, and I do plan to play a couple PDGA tournaments later this year. But first I will play in some smaller local tournaments to see how I do. Never played a tournament before. I will mostly love it and piss off the wife!

I dont play in tournaments.
I play against the course, not others.
I support any effort to get more courses in my area, as well as any contributions to help maintain the current ones.
I do not support the PDGA because they in no way work to further either of these goals.

I joined last year when I got more serious about playing, even though I've never played a tournament. I feel that supporting the cause of disc golf is the most important thing to make our sport grow and grow.

It also helped me out when I went to the local Parks Department with a plan to put in a course, as they took me a lot more seriously since I was a member of the National organization.

Tim S.

I plan on joining this year to help Kansas have another 1000+ ranked player.....lol..
....but fo realz, I plan on playing as many tourneys as I can possibly make it to and saving the extra $10 at each will quickly pay for itself.... and I'd like to get more competitive and see what kind of a rank I could develop over a period of time, at least just for kicks.

I still haven't registered. I will probably stick to leagues until October, and sign up then. If I wait for too long, I'll be playing in the masters division .. lol

Its better to get the membership early in the year, cause no matter when you get it... it expires at the end of the year. Get it in October, and youll only get 3 months out of it. Something to think about.

Its better to get the membership early in the year, cause no matter when you get it... it expires at the end of the year. Get it in October, and youll only get 3 months out of it. Something to think about.

In October, they'll usually let you pay for a membership for the next year, so you can actually get a year and a few months out of it if you wait until the end of the year.

You only get that deal if you are a new member (not an ongoing annual renewal) or if you haven't renewed for at least five years.