• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA World Championships 2022

How about a huge field to start with, but cut 10-15% of them every round?

I think that would likely cut entries significantly up front. Assume you are a 1000 rated pro 1000 miles from the event site or even 200 miles. You know you will likely be out on day 1 or 2. Why pay the entry fee and deal with the travel in the first place?

I think that would likely cut entries significantly up front. Assume you are a 1000 rated pro 1000 miles from the event site or even 200 miles. You know you will likely be out on day 1 or 2. Why pay the entry fee and deal with the travel in the first place?
It seems like eliminating entries is at least partially what a lot of people in this thread want. That's easy to say if you are not responsible for juggling the finances of the event.

It seems like eliminating entries is at least partially what a lot of people in this thread want. That's easy to say if you are not responsible for juggling the finances of the event.

I completely fail to see what field size has to do with anything. 60 to 200 golfers does even really impact the bids. Certainly does not impact competition, play, entertainment..... I might argue that a bigger field provides for a better spectator experience.

Agree, that the only real impact is to the finances of the tournament and community. Why make an already very elite group, even more elite?

I don't have all the history of being around DG for decades, so JMO based on observations over the past couple of years.

As DG has had explosive growth, yet Worlds is struggling to find a host and remain the pre-eminent event, seems the PDGA needs to put a bit more effort/ownership in to the event.

I'm Not being critical of what has already happened. The past two years has been novel and in my eyes a monumental shift that couldn't have been predicted.

Maybe actions are being taken and I'm just not paying attention. Certainly looks like the courses for Worlds next year will provide a great event to see.

When I say ownership, I'm referring to what has been discussed here regarding locations choosing not to bid on hosting because the effort is so massive. Lighten the load on the locals in some manner. Might be challenging if you have too many bosses/cooks in the kitchen.

Just seems something needs to change going forward.

When I say ownership, I'm referring to what has been discussed here regarding locations choosing not to bid on hosting because the effort is so massive. Lighten the load on the locals in some manner. Might be challenging if you have too many bosses/cooks in the kitchen.

Agreed. It should be someone (someones?) full-time job at the PDGA to do the heavy lifting/assist in running the majors. Now that you have Champions Cup, USWDGC and Worlds, that's three huge events that could use year-round, full-time people to pull off.

The volunteer efforts of those in the past have been heroic. But it's clear from the lack of bids that we're in a different stage of the game.

Agreed. It should be someone (someones?) full-time job at the PDGA to do the heavy lifting/assist in running the majors. Now that you have Champions Cup, USWDGC and Worlds, that's three huge events that could use year-round, full-time people to pull off.

That's a part of exactly what the competition team does. There are 4 of us on it.

That's a part of exactly what the competition team does. There are 4 of us on it.

I kind of suspected that there was additional efforts being put forth, thanks for clarifying that it is taking place. To borrow from Jaws, "you are going to need a bigger boat" (or more people) the way things are going.

I'd like to see it something like the US Open of golf. A relatively "regular" rotation of sites, and in order to break the rotation you need to have a stellar proposal. Set up a rotation that goes through maybe 4 sites over 12 years where each site is prepared to host every 4th year - with no guarantee outside 6 years. A new site can "butt in" at minimum 6 years ahead of time, and if the PDGA approves it they get slotted into the schedule for a single year. If the event is successful and the community/organizers demonstrate a repeatable plan - they can be added into the rotation. Maybe over time, over a few decades, the sport builds a rotation of 10 or so sites that are a part of this cycle, easing the stress on the rest.

Just spitballing, obviously there are issues with any disc golf community making a commitment to an event six years out - but as the sport grows this sort of timeline becomes more reasonable and maybe even necessary.

I completely fail to see what field size has to do with anything. ...

One thing it relates to is making sure the best potential performance gets the win. If you don't invite everyone, you can't be sure someone else wouldn't have gotten very lucky. Sure, the lower-rated players each have a small chance of winning, but there are more of them.

This goes hand-in-hand with the idea that Worlds should have enough rounds to make sure the best player wins. If there are more rounds to play, you can be more sure no one who was not invited would have stayed lucky long enough.

I simulated what would happen if a certain number of the top rated players were invited, and they played a certain number of rounds.

attachment.php

For example, say you want to be 99% sure the winner of the tournament includes the player who was going to have the best total score for the event.

You could invite 338 players (1001-rated and up) and pick a winner after one round, or

You could invite the top 49 players (1025+) and hold 8 rounds.​

To look at it another way:

If you hold five rounds and invite 71 players (1020+), there is a 1.6% chance that someone you didn't invite would have had enough hot rounds in a row to be the winner.

If you hold five rounds and invite 190 players (1008+), there is less than a one-in-a-thousand chance that someone you didn't invite would have had enough hot rounds in a row to be the winner.​

Attachments

• WorldsCorrectWinner.png
    WorldsCorrectWinner.png
    39 KB · Views: 139
I kind of suspected that there was additional efforts being put forth, thanks for clarifying that it is taking place. To borrow from Jaws, "you are going to need a bigger boat" (or more people) the way things are going.

We are well aware! The team used to be one full timer who did a million other things (Mike Downes). Then Shawn Sinclair came aboard and did it full time to allow Mike the chance to be focused on big picture. Then Todd Lion came on as part time.

Now it's 4 of us full time!

Our work load is pretty heavy right now, but not unmanageable.

No disrespect to Aaron Gossage or Tristan Tanner, but they should not be on the top of the leaderboards at a World Championships

More rounds would bring the cream to the top and the guys with "hot" rounds would slowly go back to where they are supposed to be.

No disrespect to Aaron Gossage or Tristan Tanner, but they should not be on the top of the leaderboards at a World Championships

More rounds would bring the cream to the top and the guys with "hot" rounds would slowly go back to where they are supposed to be.

I would say more rounds wouldnt have helped that this year. Its more the courses used that enabled these guys to hang. And the fact that they got hot at the right time.

Again, dont need anyone to defend the players in question. The got game. But surely outliers at that time.

I would say more rounds wouldnt have helped that this year. Its more the courses used that enabled these guys to hang. And the fact that they got hot at the right time.

Again, dont need anyone to defend the players in question. The got game. But surely outliers at that time.

I'd also add that they had a good strategy for those courses. McBeth has said that he changed his strategy on a few holes after playing with Gossage to be more like Gossage's strategy.

Perhaps I am reading too much into it, but has anyone else noticed that McBeth's picture on the PDGA for winning Worlds is sans any Discraft logos? Likely means nothing, but McBeth is methodical for things of this nature, so it does almost seem intentional.

This isn't unique to disc golf though. St. Peters made the elite 8 as a 15 seed this year. Should the NCAA shrink the field so this doesn't happen? Or possibly make each round best of 5? It's part of the intrigue that someone can get hot and make things exciting. In the end, we are still getting World Champions that feel deserving. As long as the players covet world titles Worlds will be seen as special. The top players have an extra gear they reserve for those types of tournaments.

I guess Barsby should give back his title then? He didn't deserve a win?

How many rounds did it used to take for Lloyd Weema to drop off lead card?

Perhaps I am reading too much into it, but has anyone else noticed that McBeth's picture on the PDGA for winning Worlds is sans any Discraft logos? Likely means nothing, but McBeth is methodical for things of this nature, so it does almost seem intentional.

way overthinking!

The pictures are taken right after they win.

If you go back and watch final round coverage, you will seen Kristen and Paul in those outfits.

The point isn't that lower-ranked players who won with fewer rounds didn't deserve their Worlds win.
They played by the rules and completed their rounds with the fewest strokes. We all congratulate them and they have all reaped the reward of their years of practice and hard work.

The point that many of us are making is:
If the purpose of PDGA Worlds is to crown the world's best, most skilled disc golfer, the likelihood is statistically higher with every additional round that is competed.
I think Paul M might have benefited from fewer rounds in 2019, Ricky was charging hard.
With PMs injuries and putting woes, fewer rounds may have helped him again this year.

We'll never know about the past, but many of us would like to see more rounds for Worlds in the future to make it more indicative of a world championship.

Latest posts