• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA's New Disciplinary Process

Oof.

Something is disconnected. It's probably on my end. As I constantly bemoan: I only post in here during work breaks, and sometimes I lose the thread, because I'm a flibbertigibbet. No. I am Flibbertigibzilla. So I beg your patience and forgiveness.

No blood, no foul. That's the extent of my rule-ishness.

I heard about a bizarre incident last year at a Master's only tournament. The story goes some guy from out of town in his upper 20's used another member's PDGA number that was master's age and won the division I was playing. It was a huge field. So, I never met him or stuck around for awards. How accurate that is, I don't know. But, I heard they were punished. I feel like we deal with enough dumb asses in disc golf. Hearing that really deters me from participating.

Last edited:
I heard about a bizarre incident last year at a Master's only tournament. The story goes some guy from out of town in his upper 20's used another member's PDGA number that was master's age and won the division I was playing. How accurate that is, I don't know. But, I heard they were punished. I feel like we deal with enough dumb asses in disc golf. Hearing that really deters me from participating.

Not confirming or denying I know about this situation.

But the rules clearly state this is illegal for many reasons:

Comp Manual 2.01A, 2.01B, 2.01E all cover this scenario.

https://www.pdga.com/rules/competition-manual/201

I heard about a bizarre incident last year at a Master's only tournament. The story goes some guy from out of town in his upper 20's used another member's PDGA number that was master's age and won the division I was playing. How accurate that is, I don't know. But, I heard they were punished. I feel like we deal with enough dumb asses in disc golf. Hearing that really deters me from participating.

The fact that they were punished is actually a case for the system working well rather than the opposite.

The fact that they were punished is actually a case for the system working well rather than the opposite.

Had I heard the rumors, met the guy or stayed for awards, I would have been punished also for meeting him in the parking lot.

I've earned my yankee reputation down south cutting off sign ups on time for leagues when some locals showed up late drunk and high.

Had I heard the rumors, met the guy or stayed for awards, I would have been punished also for meeting him in the parking lot.

And if you were punished for that, it would again be the system working. ;)

But honestly, if the rumors had been rampant at the tournament itself, such that you would have heard and/or been present to "meet" the guy, he probably would not have gotten as far with it as you say he did. Either that, or the TD involved was incompetent.

Don't let one incident that was, per the rumors you stated, caught and punished deter you from future participation.

No. The policy is in effect 1/1/2020. Membership is now aware that their actions will be published. The practice at the time of those offenses was to not do it.

I remember the offenses being listed a few years ago. Almost all of them were non payment of fees at that time. A couple fir possessing alcohol. I'm not sure when they stopped listing the offenses on the report, but I'm sure they used to be listed. So I think most of the people still listed from back then have no reason to expect it not to be listed.

I remember the offenses being listed a few years ago. Almost all of them were non payment of fees at that time. A couple fir possessing alcohol. I'm not sure when they stopped listing the offenses on the report, but I'm sure they used to be listed. So I think most of the people still listed from back then have no reason to expect it not to be listed.

Hmmm... Me thinks Jen is right. I remember the same.

I heard about a bizarre incident last year at a Master's only tournament. The story goes some guy from out of town in his upper 20's used another member's PDGA number that was master's age and won the division I was playing. It was a huge field. So, I never met him or stuck around for awards. How accurate that is, I don't know. But, I heard they were punished. I feel like we deal with enough dumb asses in disc golf. Hearing that really deters me from participating.

This probably happens more than you think. The PDGA kindly and publicly provides a full catalogue of PDGA numbers, names, and hometowns, allowing easy selection of an alternate identity.

You are correct that the previous practice was to do this.

However there was absolutely a middle period where the practice clearly was not to do it.

Membership has been pretty vocal about wanting to know the ranges of penalties and a general idea of what was committed, so this was a step in the direction to do so.

This probably happens more than you think. The PDGA kindly and publicly provides a full catalogue of PDGA numbers, names, and hometowns, allowing easy selection of an alternate identity.

While in theory it is possible I doubt it. It would have been fairly easy to do prior to the PDGA being online but now not so much.

While in theory it is possible I doubt it. It would have been fairly easy to do prior to the PDGA being online but now not so much.

(speaking as Robert PDGA member not a PDGA DC Chair. Also adding I'm not confirming or denying this has ever happened)

A current PDGA member in good standing using another member's number would be pretty tricky the way the whole process works now. DGScene and PDGA linked, publishing upcoming events, the PDGA using the PDGA number not the reported name at sign up, etc. As a TD I've had someone transpose their pdga number when signing up and then my local C Tier in Raleigh NC suddenly had someone playing from Montana on the sign up sheet. Pretty easy to spot.

The situation I'm much more concerned with is someone posing as a non member. Since we do not require PDGA membership for B tiers and below, anyone can claim to be a non-member and pay the $10 fee. This would include someone who is suspended or someone who is say rated 940 and wants to play MA2 or someone who is 38 and wants to play masters.

I believe PDGA membership should be required to play anything but leagues for this and other reasons.

The situation I'm much more concerned with is someone posing as a non member. Since we do not require PDGA membership for B tiers and below, anyone can claim to be a non-member and pay the $10 fee. This would include someone who is suspended or someone who is say rated 940 and wants to play MA2 or someone who is 38 and wants to play masters.

I believe PDGA membership should be required to play anything but leagues for this and other reasons.

Still don't understand why the PDGA just doesn't take this easy approach: Anyone can play and win (a trophy) without a PDGA membership, but they forfeit all cash, merch winnings to the next player.

Still don't understand why the PDGA just doesn't take this easy approach: Anyone can play and win (a trophy) without a PDGA membership, but they forfeit all cash, merch winnings to the next player.

Pretty good concept and a good middle ground. I like it.

So they'll be paying $45+ to compete for nothing other than the chance at a trophy?

Oh, no, it's the mythical non-PDGA member out to lie, cheat, and steal his way to the tens of dollars worth of prizes that plagues 0.000000001% of tournaments throughout the world.

Won't somebody please think of the children?!?

Another solution in search of a problem. Don't we have enough of these already?

So they'll be paying $45+ to compete for nothing other than the chance at a trophy?

Entry fee depends on the tournament. If they want to compete for earnings and prizes they should 100% pay the membership fee like all the other players are doing imop. Otherwise let them compete for the "experience" and let them walk away proud with a trophy.

Entry fee depends on the tournament. If they want to compete for earnings and prizes they should 100% pay the membership fee like all the other players are doing imop. Otherwise let them compete for the "experience" and let them walk away proud with a trophy.

Yup that's why I put the + in there. I've never seen an MPO division that cost less than $30 to play in, plus the non member fee, so I should've said "$40+". My bad.

Guess we just don't agree. I personally have found no reasons to join the PDGA over the last 4-5 years I've competed. A rule change like this would make me never compete in local C tiers ever again which would be sad for me.

Latest posts