• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Peer Pressure

Once I know a disc will stick in my bag I wipe the stamp.
If I sink a put with a spider, gator or a comet that's my choice.
I find that if they can't id your disc they generally don't comment.

i was too afraid to try out faster discs so my first drivers were a champ leopard and a valkyrie after my innova starter set (which included sup 150g DX aviar, shark, and leopard).

eventually being a noob playing in a heavily wooded course turned that starter set into a flippy nightmare.

so i held back on anything faster than a valkyrie or leopard until I could get to 350+ feet with both consistently. eventually I tried out other's discs like the wraith and tern and saw that I had the form, snap, and arm speed to handle them just fine. I still waited until buying the wraith/tern/high speed drivers though until I was confident throwing other's discs during field practice.

I consider myself lucky though, because I could've just as easily just succumbed and bought a nuke and tried to throw that from day 1.

what I'm kind of embarrassed to do right now is buy a DG backpack like a grip mini, or something similar. I kind of would feel like a poseur with a expensive DG backpack when I'm only 4mths into this game.

I think a lot of people here don't stick with a disc long enough to learn it.. because a similar new mold is released and branded 'better', so they jump ship. Perhaps this is most appearant with MVP and Trilogy discs, but it happened plenty with Innova and Discraft before MVP & DD/Westside came on scene. It's called competition. And right now our sport is thriving from from it.
:thmbup: Just from watching my friends bags change over time I can attest to this. Most of my friends that I disc golf with that play in tourneys & leagues (as do I), their bags change depending on whats popular with other people in our local scene. A couple years ago they were all about older Innova plastic (CE mostly). In the last year or so they've all switched to, as they say "team trilogy", now only throwing DD, Westside & Lat. They never stick with a mold long enough to completely learn it in my opinion. Their actual bags changed as well. They used to use Voodoo bags, Gorilla boy bags, the Golf Mahal or a Grip bag. Now they pretty much only either carry the DD Ranger or the Big Hyzer Ergo/2. I'm to stuck on the molds I've thrown for years to be changing it up all the time. I think switching out discs all the time (especially putters) messes with a persons consistency & overall improvement. To each their own.

It would be easy for Paul McBeth to defend throwing an archangel every hole. He's amazing, no one argues with him.

This is what I find interesting... Paul McBeth, for the most part throws what you'd expect him to throw: Aviars, Rocs, TeeBirds, Destroyers

Watch a 2013 ITB and a 2014 ITB for any player playing with a newer company... Their "go to" discs then are mentioned in passing if at all. The ITBs are marketing strategy and, for the most part solid players find a disc they like and stick with it. Watch Ken Climo's ITB for crying out loud... He still throws a sonic.

:thmbup: Just from watching my friends bags change over time I can attest to this.....They never stick with a mold long enough to completely learn it in my opinion.

My only commentary on this would be that some people simply enjoy the "gear" side of a hobby as much as (sometimes more) actually improving or learning. I see it a lot in fly fishing and photography as well. And that's okay with me in general. Who am I to say how somebody should enjoy their hobby? But the issue for me is when you get somebody who's a big talker crap player getting in your ear about this product or that product being better than what you've got. Or somebody who really does want to be better, but lets themselves get sucked into the hype machine every time to the detriment of their game.

Peer Pressure is not the right word for it.

This happens with just about everything you buy. Marketing, reviews, and testimonials all shape a perception about a product that influences our decisions on what to buy and use.

:hfive:

God help me if I ever try and tap herd mentality when marketing a product.

Drugs are bad! I guess?

My only commentary on this would be that some people simply enjoy the "gear" side of a hobby as much as (sometimes more) actually improving or learning. I see it a lot in fly fishing and photography as well. And that's okay with me in general. Who am I to say how somebody should enjoy their hobby? But the issue for me is when you get somebody who's a big talker crap player getting in your ear about this product or that product being better than what you've got. Or somebody who really does want to be better, but lets themselves get sucked into the hype machine every time to the detriment of their game.

Indeed, my solution is to not play with such douches. It's all about fun and if your playing partners are aren't adding to the fun find partners who do. Maybe I'm fortunate that I play casual golf and not tournaments and therefore always get to pick my playing partners.

When I saw the title, I thought the topic was about the times peers have pressured into a shot you weren't planning on. I've pressured peers to throw a certain disc or line. While I have all the best intentions, the suggestion often gets in their head, creating doubts about their original idea, and whether they take the advice or not, the results are rarely good. I want to help them consider alternatives to expand the shots in their arsenal, but telling them "you should've thrown..." isn't usually very well received either, especially after a bad throw.

I'd like to think I would be open to suggestions and would be willing to consider others' ideas. The few times I can remember someone mentioning something, I usually had their idea in the back of my mind already. I can't really remember a time when anyone ever got in my head with advice, or when I secretly wanted to blame someone for their suggestion. That's because for me personally, I blame myself for the things I do, not others for "making me." Having said that, I'm afraid I might be that guy for others.

I should start another thread, but I was curious about others views on this.
Do you make suggestions on the course?
What is the best way to offer help?
Where does this practice cross the line?
My goal is to help others improve, not play head games, but my fear is my advice could be misperceived as unsportsmanlike. Maybe I should just shut the hell up and eliminate the risk.

I'm the only one in my club who doesn't have an expensive backpack. I throw lots of very lightweight discs and I putt with an Rpro skeeter. I'm a total rebel.

I totally believe in peer pressure, eapecially for casuals. Who wants to be the only person in a pack of chuckers throwing a tomahawk with a mid?

Peer pressure does nothing to me. I throw what I can get to whatever target I am throwing at. End of story.

I'm a grizzled old bastard. I say f*** peer pressure... if it feels good, do it.

I know plenty of brand loyal guys that only throw Innova (some of which being CE) and they douche-ily scoff at others for throwing Discraft.

I don't let it pressure me into drinking their kool-aid.

I buy all the new discs because the manufacturer tells me too.....lol, seriously though. If a disc that is out or will be out soon, will fill a gap in my bag then i will use it. Simple as that! For instance I have a 4yr old wasp that's not fading anymore,I think the Buzzz IS will take its place. Usefulness is what factors highly in weather or not a disc will be in my bag.