• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pettition To Allow Flattening of Discs

To flatten or not to flatten

• Total voters
I can't stand domey leopards.

A father and son duo that I play with often got called on the little grooves they carved inside the rims of their discs. They were at their first tourney. They throw forehand primarily and believed the grooves to help them with their grip. They had no idea such a thing was illegal and had to replace most all of their drivers. Now Discraft and maybe others(?) are placing raised type along the inner edge of their discs. Which is essentially the same concept. I'm not saying it's because of my friends beliefs, but maybe they had the same idea. Obviously there's a market demand for flat discs and oodles(yes: oodles) of companies vying for our dollars. If a certain design or aspect of a design becomes popular the market will react. I've already seen the influence of the popularity of flat discs on the market. Going on I believe that those who are flatting discs, while not necessarily doing it to cheat, like my friends, they do believe it will give them an advantage. The whole argument really is neither here nor there because no amount of flattening or tuning a disc will cover for bad form, mental mistakes or lack of preparation, which is really what someone wanting to have an edge should be focusing on.

I'm pretty sure this is just where they had the mold tooling and had to cross out patent numbers after a lawsuit. Has nothing to do with grip.

I realize disc flattening is against the rules but why? If a disc is meant to be flat and comes out domey, IMO the disc is flawed. We, the consumer, should have the right to fix this problem by flattening the disc to create a comfortable grip. From experience flattening can change the stability of a mold but it is usually very little and can be chalked up to the disc breaking in.

If I can sand the flashing off a disc (manufacturers defect) why can I not flatten it? Perhaps this rule was put into place when DX plastic was promenent and the PDGA feared people tuning their discs?

Doesn't lat64 flatten their discs after removing them from the mold? Is this not what was done to the Flat top Gators just released?

I hate relating this to ball golf, but to me this is much like buying a driver and having it regripped and rebalanced.

For those of you against disc flattening, am I missing something? What are the disadvantages of allowing players to flatten their discs?

I feel like this is obvious, but manufacturers already offer flattening of discs. Such as Innova offers "Flat Top" rocs. It's an option you choose when ordering and costs around a $1.00 extra per disc.

Soon the PDGA will send out disc templates(like NASCAR) to gauge players discs before and after the event.

In order to play the event, you'll need to send your bag to the TD 1 week prior to the event so he/she can validate all your discs(and the 89 other players). Then expect a random draw of discs from all division winners' bags to check them after the event.

I feel like this is obvious, but manufacturers already offer flattening of discs. Such as Innova offers "Flat Top" rocs. It's an option you choose when ordering and costs around a $1.00 extra per disc.

Sometimes these flat molds come out with obvious dome, what now? Maybe innova will refund my dollar.

If you start specifically allowing some post-production modification to discs, it starts you down a very slippery slope and much more questions about what is and is not allowed.

Yup. TLDR after this post because really this is all it comes down to.

I feel that everyone is missing the point. In a sanctioned event every disc in every bad should cause a complaint to the PDGA, Until this degree of stonewalling occurs the establishment simply wont care about the variances of production.

I feel that everyone is missing the point. In a sanctioned event every disc in every bad should cause a complaint to the PDGA, Until this degree of stonewalling occurs the establishment simply wont care about the variances of production.

Why should the PDGA care? It's not their problem that the variances in a disc that are still well within the legal specs make you unhappy. Feel free to boycott a manufacturer if you think that might make your point, but you're barking up the wrong tree if you expect a tiny mostly volunteer organization to solve it for you.

A father and son duo that I play with often got called on the little grooves they carved inside the rims of their discs. They were at their first tourney. They throw forehand primarily and believed the grooves to help them with their grip.

Wait, they wanted to copy the groove??! I would let them do it solely on the grounds that the groove is the worst disc ever made. There is no way that a bag full of grooves would help anyone with their game. J/k, but seriously, wtf?

How would anyone know you flattened the disc? Even if you told someone, and they called you on a nonexistent rule, how would they prove it? It's exactly the same as beating your disc into its sweet spot by drowning it.

Or don't tell anyone because most people have no clue what the rules really are on this point and will make a big deal out of it if you go around telling people.

I was at a tournament where Feldberg lost his Kc Roc that was nicely tuned. He spent the evening throwing a new one high in the air and letting it crash down on the gravel to get it seasoned. I don't see flattening as a being much different. I have thrown Orcs since they came out. After the first run or two they started coming out domier, so I started flattening them before I found out it was against the rules... I feel like I'm just trying to "repair" my new ones.

I was at a tournament where Feldberg lost his Kc Roc that was nicely tuned. He spent the evening throwing a new one high in the air and letting it crash down on the gravel to get it seasoned. I don't see flattening as a being much different. I have thrown Orcs since they came out. After the first run or two they started coming out domier, so I started flattening them before I found out it was against the rules... I feel like I'm just trying to "repair" my new ones.
...but it's not against the rules. We've established that.

Please explain to me how flattening a disc creates an unfair advantage for a player.

It makes the people who have the money-spot-versions of a mold feel cheated that someone else can buy the ****-run and tune it to be the same as the money-spot-version. people absolutely love exclusivity and rarity in the plastic they throw. heaven forbid that someone uses some ingenuity to avoid an otherwise overpriced version of a disc.

example: C-MD2, some are domey and very meh, some rare ones came out flat (from the factory) and are much more desirable in feel and flight.

Latest posts