• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Philo Style 5 Molds

Kastaplast

Reko
Berg
Kaxe
Falk
Grym X

Hmm, this doesn't match up with Innova's lineup all that well yet. I would still enjoy throwing this bag though. As long as a Kaxe is there it's got to be pretty good.

Kastaplast

Reko
Berg
Kaxe
Falk
Grym X

Hmm, this doesn't match up with Innova's lineup all that well yet. I would still enjoy throwing this bag though. As long as a Kaxe is there it's got to be pretty good.

It's faster, but you could almost replace the Falk with the Rask for the Firebird slot. It's so OS that they don't go all that much further.

For Discraft, I'd go:

Challenger
Buzzz
Predator
Surge
Nuke

In my personal bag, I've found Nukes to be quite versatile depending on plastic and PLH. I have one in X that bombs or can be turned over, and a high PLH Z Nuke that is as beefy as my Destroyer.

Mine would be:
MVP Atom, matrix, resistor, volt, teleport
Axiom proxy, envy, fireball, crave, defy
Innova aviar, roc, teebird, firebird, wraith

I'll go noob style.
Innova: DX Aviar, DX Shark, DX Leopard, Champion Groove, and Champion Boss.

If I were to do it by myself, I'd do MVP: Ions, Vectors, Volts, Motion, Photons. Super easy to use with different plastics and now baselines. No need for massive warp speed rims if limiting molds, it's just harder to control and slower discs can have OS and US covered with more lines and less effort. I bag warp speeders but rarely find myself pulling them out with speed 11/12 controlled distance drivers.

I know this is a thread derail, but so be it.
I would like to see a comparison chart that includes all putters.
for example
Innova Aviar = Discmania P2 = Gateway Warlock
Pure = Magnet = Clutch
etc. etc. etc.

There are probably only like 5 or 6 actual different putter molds out there... Who can list all the copy cats / comparable molds?

Wham-O: S-driver, Touchline Over, 86 Softie, Midrange Approach, Voyager II ;)

for example
Pure = Magnet = Clutch
etc. etc. etc.

There are probably only like 5 or 6 actual different putter molds out there... Who can list all the copy cats / comparable molds?

Ugh, yeah that has nothing to do with what this thread is about, but it does sound interesting. Why don't you just make a new thread for that? I'm sure there would be some interest.

Maybe this thread should be: What would your 5 mold bag look like?

I assume that is what some people are making it since there are a bunch of Innova answers, which don't make any sense as answers to the original post.

Yeah, I figured it would go that way eventually. What I was looking for originally is what a comparable lineup would be from other manufacturers to the 5 molds I listed. This could be done in a number of ways:

1) 5 different threads for each mold, ie: What are the other manufacturers' equivalent of the Aviar? What are the other manufacturers' equivalent of the Roc? What are the other manufacturers' equivalent of the Teebird? What are the other manufacturers' equivalent of the Firebird? What are the other manufacturers' equivalent of the Destroyer?

2) Research the various molds, look through all the different threads for discussion. This would be helpful for further information such as whether the discs cycle well.

3) Look at flight charts/ratings to find similar discs.

I chose to draw on the collective wisdom of the forum members. I haven't thrown much more than Innova, Discraft, and some Trilogy, so there is a lot to learn.

An idea I am mulling is putting together 5 disc bags from various manufacturers and playing my usual courses with different plastic from time to time for fun/variety. While it would be better for consistency to just get very familiar with my usual molds, I'd like to mix it up once in a while. Limiting it to 5 analogous molds would 1) give some structure to the "project" and 2) keep it to solid, dependable discs/molds.

I'm going to start with Discraft (next in line for familiarity, plus I already have a Challenger and a Buzzz,) Dynamic Discs (recently traded for an EMac Truth that I'd like to try out,) and probably MVP next (curiosity.)

Thanks for all the answers so far.

5 mold bag:

Destroyer
Firebird
Orion LF
Rancho Roc
Wizard

Which is pretty much my bag anyway -- add a Harp or two and a Roadrunner (which I only carry on techy courses) and you're there).

for example
Pure = Magnet = Clutch
etc. etc. etc.

While this MIGHT have been true-ish a while back, there is a massive proliferation of "driving putters" lately, which really blew this idea up.

Also, i think you meant "actual styles of putter molds".

Discraft- challenger/zone wasp/comet predator

My bag only adds the undertaker and nuke to this lineup. I've got some sweet old predator that fly really straight and just flat out bomb. I find I only reach for the nuke if I have a wide open bomber.

Latest posts