• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pick my fairway driver

Which fairway driver should I throw exclusively?

• Discmania FD

Votes: 20 19.4%
  • Latitude 64 River

Votes: 46 44.7%
  • Innova TL

Votes: 37 35.9%

• Total voters
I recently bought a dx teebird (max weight) to use in the snow/cold. Well, not much snow or cold up here in Chicago this year.

Recently brought it back out to complement a lightweight star, and wow, I have been impressed. I am really digging the dx.

I was throwing a beat dx teebird as my big turnover until I found the river. The teebird was a one shot disc and with the river I can play the turnover,straight and slightly stable shot all with one disc i now carry 2 rivers that i am in love with. A 176 domey Gl that flush like a tl and a flat 166 Gl that is like a longer leopard. River all day!!!

Despite the disc buying hiatus: Teebird. Between Champ, Star/Echo Star, and DX you can get the Teebird to do almost anything. Heavy champs are awesome headwind fighters, lighter [Echo] Star Teebirds are loooong straight discs and work into nice hyzer flip/turnover discs, and DX Teebs beat into nice finesse/tailwind drivers.

I've been carrying 2-4 Teebirds for a few years and probably won't ever take 'em out.

If you are worried about your current dx teebird because your course is "wooded", why don't you just stop hitting trees? You can have two dx teebirds for the price of river as well.

The teebird was a one shot disc

i now carry 2 rivers

Heh heh heh...

----------------------

Also, what's wrong with a dx teebird that's been through hell? I am looking forward to mine getting to that stage.

Also, what's wrong with a dx teebird that's been through hell? I am looking forward to mine getting to that stage.

They'll start to over lap with understable midranges in terms of line shaping and distance potential because they pick up so much high speed turn after a while. They still work as low power hyzer flip and turnover line shapers then.

I was never comfortable throwing DX Teebirds on most of the courses around here as a beginner. I had a couple but after a few months they'd get understable and wouldn't fly how I wanted/expected them to.

River and tl are too valk like for a minimal bag. You need a mod overstable.

This piece of advice seems to have been ignored. The River is similar to a Leopard, not a Teebird. There is no way I'd ever recommend someone hit the course with a Roc being the only disc in their bag that can handle a headwind.

This piece of advice seems to have been ignored. The River is similar to a Leopard, not a Teebird. There is no way I'd ever recommend someone hit the course with a Roc being the only disc in their bag that can handle a headwind.

You make a good point. I don't know how well the FD will handle the wind, and the TL is OK. Just trying to simplify things for a little while. This bag won't be permanent.

It's neck and neck between the River and TL, but don't be surprised if I bump this after more people have thrown the FD to see what they think.

OK, so I went and got a round in the rain this morning, and I came to this conclusion: I get basically the same distance out of my DX Teebird as my DX Valk. With that in mind, and taking to heart everyone's feedback here, my bag for a little while will be:

Beat DX Teebird (Max D, annies that flex back)
Fresh DX Teebird (Wind, narrow fairways)
Fresh S-FD (Might as well put it in there and see what it does)
2 Beat DX Rocs (need a new fresh one, but will have to wait)
Eco 1 Swan 2 (upshots and putting)

Thoughts? If the FD isn't what I hope it will be, I will throw my new Roadrunner in for awhile and see how it flies too. Definitely need a premium Teebs, though.

my bag for a little while will be:

Beat DX Teebird (Max D, annies that flex back)
Fresh DX Teebird (Wind, narrow fairways)
Fresh S-FD (Might as well put it in there and see what it does)
2 Beat DX Rocs (need a new fresh one, but will have to wait)
Eco 1 Swan 2 (upshots and putting)

Thoughts?

Your game will noticeably improve.

You may find one workable DX Eagle-X will round out the bag nicely.

I don't have much experience with the Eagle. What should it do in that bag? Also, how do I know if it is X?

If I had a nickel for every....

both-eagles.jpg

Last edited:
Eagles have no markings at all to tell you which one (unlike TL FL SL etc)
No stamp, no pen, NUTHIN'

But, the difference is easy to see and feel
And before you ask - the X is more stable (both LSS and HSS)

Thanks again. I figured it would be more stable, based on the profile. I have heard it shapes lines well, but I will stick with the Teebird for now and see if I need to add the Eagle down the road.

I don't have much experience with the Eagle. What should it do in that bag?

I have heard it shapes lines well

Asked and answered.

It will do what your Teebird doesn't excel at - line shaping.

They wear in exact opposite ways. As they beat in with DX, the Teebird retains its HSS (resistance to turn at high speeds) as the fade gets beat out of it. It ends up being a point and shoot laser.

On the other hand, as it wears, the Eagle-X loses its HSS (turns more easily at high speeds) while retaining its fade late into its life. I can throw all but a most-thrashed Eagle, and be confident that it will hook up and fade back at the end of flight when I throw an Anny. The DX life cycle gives you everything from spike hyzers, to straight with a predictable fade, to S-curves, to hyzer-flips.

This contrasting wear makes them a natural pair of drivers that complement each other very well.

If I had a nickel for every....

Here ya go. :)

nickel.jpg

Asked and answered.

It will do what your Teebird doesn't excel at - line shaping.

They wear in exact opposite ways. As they beat in with DX, the Teebird retains its HSS (resistance to turn at high speeds) as the fade gets beat out of it. It ends up being a point and shoot laser.

On the other hand, as it wears, the Eagle-X loses its HSS (turns more easily at high speeds) while retaining its fade late into its life. I can throw all but a most-thrashed Eagle, and be confident that it will hook up and fade back at the end of flight when I throw an Anny. The DX life cycle gives you everything from spike hyzers, to straight with a predictable fade, to S-curves, to hyzer-flips.

This contrasting wear makes them a natural pair of drivers that complement each other very well.

This sounds encouraging. I had a Champ Eagle (not sure which letter after it, if any) for a little while when I first started, but unwisely gave it away (to my dad, at least). Once I decide to add more molds back in the bag, I may give it a go.

How long would you guys suggest I stick with the 4 molds for? I was thinking until summer proper (in SoCal it is always summer, except this past weekend), then re-evaluating from there...

Latest posts