• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pick the most stable disc

What is the most stable disc?

• Total voters
Huh? How can something thats overstable have more stability? Overstable and understable are both not stable by definition.
The whole overstable-stable-understable thing is a spectrum which is why both Innova and Discraft use a numerical scale to help define it. Its not three nice and neat pigeon holes that we classify discs by, and there's no defined spot where one class of "stability" stops and next one begins. Same thing applies with the whole putter-midrange-fairway driver-distance driver crap.

The only correct answer is Firebird.

The difference between discs and most other objects is thier design to fade. Like posted by MM, there's only stable an un stable- no over/under. Since discs are discinged to fade, hard fade means stable and in comparison to it flippy:)

The whole overstable-stable-understable thing is a spectrum which is why both Innova and Discraft use a numerical scale to help define it. Its not three nice and neat pigeon holes that we classify discs by, and there's no defined spot where one class of "stability" stops and next one begins. Same thing applies with the whole putter-midrange-fairway driver-distance driver crap.

The only correct answer is Firebird.

:doh:

Yeah I guess I use "stable" to mean the spectrum of flight line after understable...
To me the most "stable" would be the firebird... 'cuz that's how I refer to this when I'm talking about it..
if you mean which is most neutral, then I'd say the Buzzz

what's the point of this?

What's wrong with understable --> stable <-- overstable??

Discs can be "more stable", "more understable" and "more overstable" compared to each other. IE. A Leopard is more understable than a Buzzz, and a Firebird is more overstable than a Buzzz. A Buzz is more stable than either of them.

The resistance of a rotating body to a change in its plane of rotation. The faster a body spins (the greater its angular velocity), the greater the stability of the body in its particular position or orientation. Gyroscopic stability accounts for the stability of a spinning discus or a spinning football in American football.

Stable = flat, not going left, not going right. Stop spouting bad information.

/overstable
\understable
_stable.[/]
So by your definition, how many discs are stable?

very very very few. I would consider the comet the closest thing to stable. Once it beats in a little bit I think it will be true stable. It's the closest thing to stable I've ever thrown though. The buzzz is slightly overstable, but it is high speed stable.

It's like the speed limit, you are generally over it or under it. Majority of people aren't going to be going 55.0 mph. They will be going between about 50 mph and 60 mph, not counting speeders. If you are going 53, are you closer to the speed limit than someone going 52? No, it also will be closer than someone going 59. But we don't generally compare something on the opposite side like that. A leopard is more stable than a sidewinder, it's also more stable than an Xcal. But we just don't compare it that way.

Overstable does NOT mean it has "more stability". What makes a disc truly stable is the the range of velocity to spin of the disc where the advance ratio makes the disc stay gyroscopically stable. A destroyer can be thrown and become high speed stable, but once it slows down, the advance ratio changes and the center of lift changes on the disc making it fade. For a disc to be truly stable, it would need to stay stable over such a wide variety of speeds that at full power it was stable, but even as it slowed down (until a certain point, it can't go straight with no spin) it would still stay straight. To me, that's the comet.

That's really why the comet is such a great learning tool. It can be thrown at full power and stay straight the entire time, only at the last bit of it's flight will it fall, it doesn't really fade out, just falls. ANY disc will fade if you put it up in the air long enough, pushing a comet out it will eventually slow down with air friction enough to just not have enough spin anymore. Being stable like the comet allows you to also put it on a line, and it will hold it. It will not flip over more, or come back to pan out.

Last edited:
Do you mean more stable .\. or less stable << or right handed least stable >> compared to most stable <<< is less than half stable =/=\= of what the median stability is then I think you're talking about stability in terms of ./. .|. .\. as opposed to << || >> in which case I'm right.

are these disc new out the box? cuz my firebird is my roller disc now. it depends on the player cuz the lep is stable for som noobs and the buzzz only go straight if it isnt thrown full power with ajustments. ie hyzer flip.

Show of hands here. Who wants to take this thread, pour a couple gallons of gasoline on it, and light a match, then perhaps we all go have a group wrist slitting for ever involving ourselves in it?

I mean I haven't the slightest clue what channel some of you are on, and I'm pretty sure the feeling is mutual.

A Firebird is similar to a Predator, which has a Discraft stability of 2.5, which is obviously MORE than the 0.5 stability rating of the Buzzz. Thus the Firebird is most stable.

This is correct sir. :thmbup: :thmbup:

Finally someone gets it.

This thread is less than stable.

stability n. , pl. , -ties . The state or quality of being stable, especially: Resistance to change

if you throw a disc straight... you have added resistance thru rotational speed. if you did not add enough resistance, then where the hell is your disc? is is NOT straight ahead. the discs natural stability over-ruled your resistance. so it went stable.

Latest posts