• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pictures (warning post contains pictures)

Some pics from golf in Flagstaff this weekend.

0901discgolf006.jpg

0901discgolf008.jpg

0901discgolf009.jpg

0901discgolf007.jpg

domromer said:
Some pics from golf in Flagstaff this weekend.

I had my first chance to play in Flagstaff back in may. Which course is that? It looks like Thorpe or McPherson. I tore up Thorpe and McPherson while I was out there. Fun courses. The campus course I got my revenge on the second time. First time I could only manage a -1. Got me a -6 the next round. Didn't get a chance to play snowbowl though as you got 10 inches of snow on the mountain the day before we landed.

Well, you guys have finally convinced me to register.

I live in Flag. It's nice, but the mud is currently pissing me off.

Anyway, my best round ever there, and this was a day when the pins were in some of their easier locations, was a eight under. I would of been nine under, but I missed a ten footer. It is what it is, though. This is assuming every hole is a par 3, though the signs tell a different story. Like I said, the pins were in some easy spots. Hole 1 was in it's B placement, 2 was in B, 3 was in A, 4 was A, 5 was A, 6 was A, 7 was B, 8 was in it's long, 9 was in B, 10 was short, 11 was short, Hole 12 was still long, 13 doesn't change, 14 was actually in it's long (B), 15 was A, 16 (though it's alternate is not on the 2003 worlds map) was in it's harder postion,17 was in it's A, and 18 was A. You could add these distances up, but it's really not a distance course, more of a control and finesse, but 11 of those holes are over 300' in those locations, including 5 over 350'.

Granted this is my home course, and I could play glow golf at the course without a flashlight, and have probably played it over a hundred times. I started about eight months ago, so the idea that I have played that course about three times a week sounds right. As during the summer I was hitting it sometimes twice a day, but during football season, about once every two weeks.

What I'm trying to get at, though, is whether or not you all would think this score is good. I have never played in a tournament, but I always beat my immediate friends, and I have only met one guy who consistently beats me. I have only gone to the league nights six times, each time I finished top four, winning it once. However, most of the guys there were drunk, and it was always a Tuesday, when people play with handicaps, and the elite are usually wasted. My handicap is ~ 3/4 under now. I'm taking my place by raw scores though.

So, is that a good score? What is that score "rated" by the PDGA?

Yes, NAU was tough. The university has decided to use that space for playing fields. The course is back at it's "old" location, near 40 and the power plant. It only has twelve holes right now because it was moved in the first place, a few years back, to it's "new- old" location (where the fields are now), if you will, because the university built a water treatment plant in the course. They are currently planning and starting construction on an eighteen hole course on campus. This was a big blow for me, as it was my favorite course, and I could just play objects on the "old" course.

I have marked trees at McPherson, near where the pole holes were. It's "playable".

The good thing is that the object course on Lake Mary and the one at old Munds still kick ass. Also Gore is building three courses on their campuses which I'm hoping may be open to the public on weekends.

Yeah, those object courses are still very awesome. Once the snow melts, I'll try to get people to recognize the object course I built at the top of Butler Ave. It's a fun play. 18 holes, dug out tee pads. Currently unplayable.

The Gore coures are pretty fun. I helped install the one at the 4th street campus. My best friend's dad is a pretty high supervisor there, so we get to play that one whenever we want. Which works out well, because I live right by it. What's not good is that the snow makes that course litterally unplayable, because of the extreme elevation changes. As a side note, I didn't design the course, and they are working with very little real estate, so forgive it's short commings.

I am also curious as to why I can't stay logged in in Firefox. I hate this god awful browser I'm using.

Of course. Some of those tee pads are pretty sketch. The one where you throw off the cliff and is just marked by a rock is the main one that comes to mind.

Have you had a chance to play the one across the lake? It's not well known, because one of my teachers put up the tape and knocked down the branches last summer, and it's a pain to get to.

The second Munds course though, which isn't that hard to get to, is a lot of fun, as well. You can see some of those holes, if you look for them, while playing the back nine of the first course. You just have to have a truck or disire to walk to get to that course. There is also an object course across the path by McPherson, which is incredibly hard to follow if you haven't played it. Impossible, in fact.

The course I built, if there was not snow on the ground, would be easily playable by anyone who saw the first hole and tee pad. I'll give you directions when it's playable, and I run through and make sure all the tape is still up.

Basically though, it's just at the very end of the street, where it ends in a road block, and there is a forested area. In the Amberwood/Contential neighborhoods. If you were to walk straight back on the path from the gate (which serves no purpose, as there is a huge section of the fence down five feet from it), you would see the first tee pad on your right.

I'll make a legit map for it one day, and put a bunch of copies of it at Thorpe, when the world warms up.

Look's great! How long has your place been open? I used to get over to Boone occaisionally when I was doing a lot of biking, and I don't remember seeing it. Again, sweet disc.

Latest posts