• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pinched Nerve: Herniated Disc surgery

Jason B

I've had a pinched nerve (left side) from a herniated disc at C6-C7 going on 4 months now. My left tricep still doesn't work. Physical therapy hasn't been able to fix the problem yet (McKenzie technique). I really don't want to have surgery and a disc replacement, my sister was 1 in a million and died from this exact surgery 2 years ago. You can understand why I am extra paranoid about surgery.
Any alternative advice to surgery? Those who had this surgery, are you able to get back to playing without too much loss of strength and performance?
Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks.

Fear of surgery is a natural human response. In light of your very unfortunate circumstance, it is almost an expected result. You should seek the opinion of a few neurosurgeons/neurologist. Find out what your options are. Generally accepted options are likely physical therapy, medications or surgery. Here is some advice from the Mayo Clinic on your appointment.

Before you go:

Be aware of any pre-appointment restrictions
Write down any symptoms you're experiencing
Make a list of all medications
Take a family member or friend along
Write down questions to ask----including the ones above

Some good questions for most appoints:

What's the most likely cause of my symptoms?
What kinds of tests do I need?
Is my condition likely temporary or long lasting?
What treatment do you recommend?
What are the alternatives to the primary approach that you're suggesting?
I have these other health conditions. How can I best manage these conditions together?
Are there any activity restrictions that I need to follow?
Are there any brochures or other printed material that I can take home with me? What websites do you recommend visiting?

I would also recommend some serious consideration to talking to a therapist. Your fear is very real and can present as a detriment to your process of getting well again. Fear, like many things your body experiences, takes up resources. Resources needed to heal, fight pain, fight infection.....

You should be able to ask your primary care physician or the surgeon about talking to someone.

Good luck, man. Hope all of it turns out ok and you get back to bombing 400+.

The number 1 thing I tell people that are going to have surgery is: (sorry for the all caps, but this is very important)

TALK TO YOUR ANESTHESIOLOGIST!!!!! Tell that person anything you are on or any medical issues...etc. DON'T COUNT ON THE SURGEON TO TELL THEM! AND DON'T COUNT ON THEM TO READ THE RECORDS!

Two instances....
1. My dad went into surgery for an abdominal aneurysm surgery. He "died" on the surgical table - they were able to bring him back quickly because they had already opened him up. The cause? My dad was 6'3" and about 250 pounds (maybe heavier). The anesthesiologist gave him the anesthesia for a person his age/height/weight. Anesthesia lowers your blood pressure. My dad had very low blood pressure and the anesthesia dropped it too low.

2. A woman I talked to (different states/hospitals/etc) told me her husband had brain trauma from his surgery and it was traced to a bad reaction with the anesthesia. In this person's case, their doctor never passed the medical records to the surgery team and they (especially the anesthesiologist) didn't know he was on cardiac medicine.

So, whenever you are having surgery....make sure you talk to the anesthesiologist. I believe a lot of deaths/poor recoveries in surgery may be due to that issue.

The number 1 thing I tell people that are going to have surgery is: (sorry for the all caps, but this is very important)

TALK TO YOUR ANESTHESIOLOGIST!!!!! Tell that person anything you are on or any medical issues...etc. DON'T COUNT ON THE SURGEON TO TELL THEM! AND DON'T COUNT ON THEM TO READ THE RECORDS!

Two instances....
1. My dad went into surgery for an abdominal aneurysm surgery. He "died" on the surgical table - they were able to bring him back quickly because they had already opened him up. The cause? My dad was 6'3" and about 250 pounds (maybe heavier). The anesthesiologist gave him the anesthesia for a person his age/height/weight. Anesthesia lowers your blood pressure. My dad had very low blood pressure and the anesthesia dropped it too low.

2. A woman I talked to (different states/hospitals/etc) told me her husband had brain trauma from his surgery and it was traced to a bad reaction with the anesthesia. In this person's case, their doctor never passed the medical records to the surgery team and they (especially the anesthesiologist) didn't know he was on cardiac medicine.

So, whenever you are having surgery....make sure you talk to the anesthesiologist. I believe a lot of deaths/poor recoveries in surgery may be due to that issue.
Agreed. I will be extra careful if I have to have this surgery because of my sisters situation. I have had numerous surgeries before for other injuries and no problems but you never know.
Thanks.

Two instances....

I don't think you can have surgery without talking to anesthesia. Pretty sure it is a requirement for them to talk to/ interview you before you are put under. Great advice, either way though.

I don't think you can have surgery without talking to anesthesia. Pretty sure it is a requirement for them to talk to/ interview you before you are put under. Great advice, either way though.

Nope. I've heard from lots of folks that they never talked to the anesthesiologist. I think the only requirement is talking to the surgeon; who is then expected to brief the rest of the team and they are 'supposed' to check the patients records.

Nope. I've heard from lots of folks that they never talked to the anesthesiologist. I think the only requirement is talking to the surgeon; who is then expected to brief the rest of the team and they are 'supposed' to check the patients records.

Hmmmmm.....just does not sound safe. It is indeed standard practice in my system, I assumed that was because of regulations. Why any anesthesiologist would work under the assumption that another clinician did their job correctly,is beyond me, it is dangerous. Surgeons are the last docs that anyone should be taking patient medication information from.

Dang, Bill....I honestly thought you had to be wrong. I took a quick look at some regulations, and while they seem to assume an anesthesiologist would see the patient, there does not seem to be anything mandating it. I cannot imagine why they would take the risk of not gathering the info needed to do their job.

Anesthesiology are the lifeguards in the surgical pool. They are responsible for the well being of the surgical patient.

But, like I said......great advice.

Dang, Bill....I honestly thought you had to be wrong. I took a quick look at some regulations, and while they seem to assume an anesthesiologist would see the patient, there does not seem to be anything mandating it.

In all my operations in switzerland i always met with the anesthesiologist.

I really don't want to have surgery and a disc replacement, my sister was 1 in a million and died from this exact surgery 2 years ago.

My condolences about your syster. But ask yourself, what are the chances of two 1:1'000'000 probabilities happening in a row?

I've had a pinched nerve (left side) from a herniated disc at C6-C7 going on 4 months now. My left tricep still doesn't work. Physical therapy hasn't been able to fix the problem yet (McKenzie technique). I really don't want to have surgery and a disc replacement, my sister was 1 in a million and died from this exact surgery 2 years ago. You can understand why I am extra paranoid about surgery.
Any alternative advice to surgery? Those who had this surgery, are you able to get back to playing without too much loss of strength and performance?
Thanks.

I would stick with the PT. I have had 3 back surgeries due to sciatic problems in my legs. Even after each surgery it took 6+ months of PT to feel somewhat better.
Get any cortisone shots yet? Try any myofascial massages? Have you tried a traction device?

I regret having all the surgeries and would put it off as long as you can. Girl from my last job did the disc replacement in her neck with minimal pain reduction. Once you have surgery ,that area is compromised ,and could turn into a worse problem when you age.

Keep at the PT. Try everything you can before doing something permanent. Be patient. Especially if this is your first time dealing with this issue. If it has been a problem for years and years...then surgery should be a better option.

Last edited:
I would stick with the PT. I have had 3 back surgeries due to sciatic problems in my legs. Even after each surgery it took 6+ months of PT to feel somewhat better.
Get any cortisone shots yet? Try any myofascial massages? Have you tried a traction device?

I regret having all the surgeries and would put it off as long as you can. Girl from my last job did the disc replacement in her neck with minimal pain reduction. Once you have surgery ,that area is compromised ,and could turn into a worse problem when you age.

Keep at the PT. Try everything you can before doing something permanent. Be patient. Especially if this is your first time dealing with this issue. If it has been a problem for years and years...then surgery should be a better option.

You are apparently talking about surgeries at a complete different location from the OP. He has a problem at C6-C7, about the same level as the Adam's apple. Sciatic nerve issues in the legs are caused by problems in the lower back. While a conservative approach may make a lot of sense in any case, these two different locations involve much different considerations.

In 2000, at the age of 34 and long before I took up disc golf, I herniated a disc at the C6-C7 level. It left me in a great deal of pain as the herniation was impinging on the nerve root at on the right side. I lost sensation in my right thumb, first and second finger. It felt as though they had been dipped in wax My tricep was numb and my right shoulder had a burning sensation. If I moved my head, I could induce pain that felt like some one was administering deep electric shock in my spine. I could not lay down on my own. If someone helped me to lay down, I could not sit up. For a week, I alternated between hydrocodone and percocet, every two hours, watching the clock for the last 15 minutes. At night, I slept for short periods in a recliner, upright, after taking a teaspoon of demerol syrup that my father had left over from after an open heart surgery.

I went into the hospital so that I could get an MRI (because I couldn't lay down for the MRI) and need to be sedated in order to get it done. Two days later I had a C6-C7 discectomy and fusion. When I woke up from surgery, it was as if a light switch had been flipped off for my pain. The most painful thing about the post surgery period was the mild irritation in my throat from being intubated. The loss of sensation in the fingers of my right hand never completely resolved, but I don't really notice it unless I think about it and it only involves fine touch.

At the time that the surgery was recommended my neurosurgeon told me that I was lucky that this had had a sudden onset because a slow onset can lead to delay in surgery and more nerve damage, i.e., the sooner the problem was fixed the more likely it was for the nerve damage to resolve. He also told me after the surgery, that the disc had actually ruptured and it would have been very unlikely for the injury to resolve on its own.

6 weeks later, I started swimming instead of therapy to build back my right arm strength. I have lost some of the mobility in my cervical spine. I can neither tilt my head back as far (looking up) or turn it as far to the sides as I could before the injury, but it really hasn't affected me. I started playing basketball, softball and flag football again after the surgery and picked up disc golf in 2012. By 2014, I could regularly throw drives near 400' with occasional throws up to around 430'. Sadly, now, age and knee problems have limited that distance.

Surgery may not be the right thing for you, but I think you will find that there is a large disparity between the satisfaction of patients in outcomes between cervical and lumbar spine surgeries, with most of the cautionary tales being generated by the latter.

Thanks for the advice. After 4 months I'm worried about permanent nerve damage. I have a new PT and new exercises. I'll just have to give it time.

Sometime about 5 or 6 years ago I slipped on a drive mid fairway. Some wet grass. Fell straight on my ass. Got up and finished the round, no issues. Sat down for lunch and couldn't stand back up. Forced myself to play 2nd round (miserably). After that I started having issues with my right arm. I couldn't generate any power in my right tricep when throwing overhand (or a football, baseball, or basketball).

Took some medication, don't remember what, to reduce the inflammation of the disc and it stopped hurting. I think it was between C6&7 as well. But after talking to a doctor and getting an MRI ($3K!!! Out of pocket. Screw them!) they told me that surgery may not fix the nerve damage and is slightly dangerous. So I decided against it.

To this day I have probably 20% strength when lifting things over my head with my right arm. It slightly affects me throwing big anhyzers and definitely throwing overhand shots. But, there is no more pain and I rarely notice it.

Long winded way of saying, best of luck. I know what you are going thru and it sucks.

I had C5-6 done. Best decision I ever made. The issues I was having pre-surgery were really, really bad. I'd have flareups every two years, almost to the same day, that would almost paralyze me from the shoulders up. It hurt, was inconvenient, and was causing me to miss work and activities for up to 2 weeks at a time. It started getting more frequent and I finally got the approval for the surgery. I was out recuperating for a couple weeks before I felt good enough to start tackling any long distance walking, but I was back running soon after.

Mine was in a location they could go through my throat though. I wouldn't, probably, have done it if they had to go in through the back. They say there are a lot more complications that way.

Thanks.

My condolences for your sister. My dad died after a surgery with a 99% success rate, so I know where you are coming from. This was surgery to correct ulcerative colitis. As an attorney, he'd heard enough medical horror stories to be leery of any surgery that wasn't totally necessary. He was on steroids and other medication for 20 years before the symptoms became totally unmanageable and he agreed to the surgery. I imagine his odds would have been better if he had had surgery in his late 30s instead of late 50s, but no way to be certain.

I have some of the symptoms, but won't even consider doing anything about it unless they get significantly worse. Not sure if that's the best choice, but that's where I'm at.

Latest posts