• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pivoting on heel issues

Also, I'm thinking we should all just get in an RV, stock it with BBQ and cold frothy nectar qnd then go round up HUB, SW22, a few others, and hold them at beer point for a form clinic.

I literally think about this every day since I've started to 'better' my form. I would bring briefcases full of dollars if this ever happened. :p

Last edited:
I'm also having issues on when/why to do the heel pivot.
I still don't feel that point where my body would naturally NEED to heel pivot. I still feel it's a conscious effort to do it.

Where is the disc in relation to this hit point? Is it just starting to travel forwards? Already pulling forwards? If so, what percentage?

If you look at some pros, looks like they only truly heel pivot on their drives, or max d drives. But what helps me is to make sure to lean forward and get that forward momentum when driving. You kind of rotate naturally on the heel at that point. Or at the least, a toe/to flat/to heel rotation in rapid fashion.

Or at the least, a toe/to flat/to heel rotation in rapid fashion.

cool man, thanks. this was helpful to read.

I think this whole time I've been doing flat to heel rotation. Next time I'm gonna try toe/flat/heel. Seems more powerful somehow.

I came to realize that I was putting a lot of thought into trying to pivot on me heel which was not allowing me to get my weight shifted forward. A lot of throws I'd end up spinning on the ball of my front foot because most of my weight was still on my back leg and I'd throw about 300 feet before the disc would just start stalling out. But if you truly get all of your weight shifted into your plant foot and you get your timing right with planting your foot, shifting your weight forward (bracing into your front foot), then letting the throw happen naturally with your body basically pulling your arm into position (right rec area) then throwing/exploding from there you'll find that you will pivot on your heel and your body will almost make you follow through its an amazing feeling! Admittedly it's incredibly hard to slow down and wait for your body to develop the throw for your arm if that makes sense? Instead of trying to go as fast as possible and whipping your arm around as hard as you can. Some of my furthest throws granted barely over 400feet people always say "looks like you barely threw that" and it almost feels like you barely threw it because you aren't using just arm, you've now tapped into that lower body energy you've been missing.

Practice is what makes everything smooth and fluid. Go throw some sledgehammers around, should be auto smooth.

So basically the purpose of this drill isn't so much the pivot action on the heel as much as getting the muscle memory down for weight transfer? Am I correct on that statement? Because if I'm understanding this correctly, that's a great drill!

I came to realize that I was putting a lot of thought into trying to pivot on me heel which was not allowing me to get my weight shifted forward. A lot of throws I'd end up spinning on the ball of my front foot because most of my weight was still on my back leg and I'd throw about 300 feet before the disc would just start stalling out. But if you truly get all of your weight shifted into your plant foot and you get your timing right with planting your foot, shifting your weight forward (bracing into your front foot), then letting the throw happen naturally with your body basically pulling your arm into position (right rec area) then throwing/exploding from there you'll find that you will pivot on your heel and your body will almost make you follow through its an amazing feeling! Admittedly it's incredibly hard to slow down and wait for your body to develop the throw for your arm if that makes sense? Instead of trying to go as fast as possible and whipping your arm around as hard as you can. Some of my furthest throws granted barely over 400feet people always say "looks like you barely threw that" and it almost feels like you barely threw it because you aren't using just arm, you've now tapped into that lower body energy you've been missing.
:thmbup:

So basically the purpose of this drill isn't so much the pivot action on the heel as much as getting the muscle memory down for weight transfer? Am I correct on that statement? Because if I'm understanding this correctly, that's a great drill!
Yep, and it helps with other things as well like keeping your shoulder closed, wrist loaded/not casting early and rhythm.