• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Play Better Alone vs With Group?

Sharkbite

Bogey Member
Premium Member
I don't know what it is but I always play better alone then I do in a group and I'm not sure why. I can go out and shoot under on a given course and then go there for a random dubs or singles function and stink it up almost every time. After 17 years I've kind of learned to accept it but it still bugs me a little. If I had to guess Id say for what ever reason I loss that mental focus in a group and I'm not as sharp. Anybody else have that issue and if so what are some things you've done to overcome it?

It's common for players to score better when playing alone. And it's true for me, too.

I'm the opposite... A bit lazy when playing alone

It has to be mental, as you know. Are you nervous in groups? Maybe you are more relaxed. Is the group disturbing your natural rhythm? Ask friends if they notice anything.

It could be just the pace of play. Playing alone you can get in a groove and it's a short wait between throws.

Myself, I don't know if it makes a difference. I have great rounds and terrible rounds solo, casual with friends, and in tournaments.

("Great rounds" being, of course, by my own standards)

Maybe you cheat too much alone ;)

Work on your mental game - being able to focus is one of the hardest things for people today. Gets worse everyday if you take a look in schools and even kindergarten...

I would say that 90% to 95% of the time I playbmuch better alone.

I feel its mostly a mental thing.

I play better in groups than I do on my own. When I play solo I get lazy and get more frustrated with myself if I miss easy shots or significantly miss my line where as in groups I seem to focus a little more.

I think I play better in groups because it helps to keep me in the game mentally. My mind tends to wander to other things when I'm by myself. In a group I'm concentrating more on disc golf, tracking other people's disc flights to see what the wind is doing, helping locating discs down the fairway etc. Generally just more engaged.

When I first started, I did not like to play in groups because I was afraid other people would think I suck, cause I did. It eventually helped that I started not sucking as much, but the main thing that helped is realizing that the other guys did not really care that I sucked. Nobody really cares that much how you play (maybe your doubles partner does!) as long as you don't act like a douche canoe, be ready to throw when it's your turn, stay out of others' way etc.

Also, if you have beer, the chances are better that the other kids will want to play with you.

I tend to play about the same. I don't play as smart when I'm with my friends or in a group (trying bigger / new lines and not quite working out), but I can usually keep it fairly clean.

For reference I tend to play right around par. On our bigger course (Hart Park suicide flats) I have gotten down to +6 which I'm very happy about.

Thumb smashed on my Galaxy Note 4

I play very very quickly on my own and that improves my focus. In groups my mind can wonder a bit, but it's something I'm working on.

I play most of my rounds solo and prefer it that way. When playing with groups it depends if it's league, tourneys or with a group of friends. When $ is involved, I'm usually pretty focused. When it's casual with some friends, I tend to be way too relaxed and unfocused, so usually not playing my best golf.

It could be just the pace of play. Playing alone you can get in a groove and it's a short wait between throws.

Myself, I don't know if it makes a difference. I have great rounds and terrible rounds solo, casual with friends, and in tournaments.

("Great rounds" being, of course, by my own standards)

I've always chalked up my bad group rounds to pace of play. But I also enjoy being with people, and talk a bit too much The worst round (especially putting) I've had recently was when meeting up with a contact on DGCR. It was great meeting another DGer, but I showed up late, didn't warm up, was enjoying chatting too much, and certainly didn't impress anyone.

But then, there are certainly other rounds I play better in groups. In other words, no matter how many people are on my card, sometimes I play better than other times.

Im sure Im not alone in this, but here's how I am:
-I play best in a group of friends during casual or lightly competitive (like league or doubles) rounds
-I play slightly worse than that when Im playing alone or with just one other person
-I play the worst during tournament rounds, by a large margin

I havent really found a way to overcome that aside from playing less and less tournaments each year, and more and more casual rounds. But that's hardly overcoming anything...more like just adapting to it.

More pressure, better play for me. Groups, tournaments and people watching usually puts me at my best. I pretty much max out at par golf unless it's a competitive round

I play better alone. I think it's because I get to play at my own pace. A lot of times when I play casual rounds with friends, I feel rushed. Especially when someone in our group has a bad throw that I know we're gonna have to look for.

Interesting to the see different point of views on this. Golf is so mental, to me at least. I'm sure I'm putting to much pressure on myself or perhaps to high of expectations maybe. I agree the pace changes things up. I hate playing in a slow group or behind one.

I missed the edit window. I will add that I play my worst in tourneys. I don't know what it is but my putting always sucks during tournaments. The pressure of rated rounds gets to me I guess. Just last Sunday I shot two rounds rated at 850. :gross:

Im sure Im not alone in this, but here's how I am:
-I play best in a group of friends during casual or lightly competitive (like league or doubles) rounds
-I play slightly worse than that when Im playing alone or with just one other person
-I play the worst during tournament rounds, by a large margin

I havent really found a way to overcome that aside from playing less and less tournaments each year, and more and more casual rounds. But that's hardly overcoming anything...more like just adapting to it.

Exactly the same here. Weekly mini's I'm usually shooting pretty hot, then goes down from there.