• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playin' in the Rain.

zenbot

*Super Moderator*
Staff member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
I played a round in the rain yesterday afternoon. (Strange for So Cal, I know.) My theory was to get as drenched as quickly as possible and get used to the extra slipperiness. The other guys tried their hardest to stay dry with umbrellas, extra towels, and a bunch of other stuff although seemed that the soaking was inevitable.

I played pretty well, considering, but was just wondering what tips and tricks everyone has.

lotsa towels..i put one in my umbella(when its open...lol) to keep it dry...dx seems to be grippier when wet than the other types of plastic...a bowling rosin bag works good for wet hands or a birdie bag..i play in a lot of foul weather and keeping your bag closed and under the unbrella works good also...footing is another story..

lotsa towels..i put one in my umbella(when its open...lol) to keep it dry...dx seems to be grippier when wet than the other types of plastic...a bowling rosin bag works good for wet hands or a birdie bag..i play in a lot of foul weather and keeping your bag closed and under the unbrella works good also...footing is another story..

Do you hold your umbrella while you throw?

Rule 1: Keep your discs dry and clean as possible.
Rule 2: Don't anger the rain gods by complaining. Rain is good, but maybe not for you right then...
Rule 3: Play to the conditions. Fewer skips on the ground, distance is a little less, leaves get real skippy when wet, puddles don't skip at all, etc.
Rule 4: A wet day of disc golf is better than a dry day at work.

Rule 3: Play to the conditions. Fewer skips on the ground, distance is a little less, leaves get real skippy when wet, puddles don't skip at all, etc.

I've seen a disc skip on a puddle.

Rain, snow, I like playing in it all... When it is raining, I make sure to check the tee pads to make sure it isn't too slippery... Other than that, I do nothing special...

There's always the exception.
I've seen a pig fly, it was the landing that was exceptional.

Do you hold your umbrella while you throw?

If its a drizzle or what I call spit, no umbrella. If its raining hard I would bring a golf umbrella, those extra large diameter umbrells. The support bars underneath are strong enough that you can hang a golf towel from them. Hold the umbrella until just before your throw and then lay it down on its side covering your bag. This will keep your bag dry, the towel hanging from the bars dry and you will be in the elements for just a few seconds.

Now if you are in a dense wooded course, then the umbrella may be a hindrance. I would then go to my golf rain suit, no umbrella and just grin and bare it.

I like the elements it adds a challenge. I am not a tourney player, but if you are then you never know when you will be playing in a tourney when the elements go bad. Best to practice playing in the elements so you are prepared.

Cover your throwing hand and disc with a towel until you are ready to throw. Lay a large towel on the end of the tee box to get better footing if the pad is muddy and slick. Take lots and lots of small towels.

use a flydry towel to dry off the disc and keep it underneath either a small raincoat or poncho. carry your bag in a trash bag and wear waterproof socks.

if you're caught out on the course during a tounament and you and your towel are soaked thru, pull out the DX plastic......i found that wiping DX with even a wet towel makes the grip ok.......... MUCH better than wet Champ/Pro type plastics.

And to all the glasses-wearing DG players.......... WEAR A HAT WITH A BRIM !!! Keeping the specs clear and smear-free is key for us near-sighted people. I just sprayed 4 of my hats with a fabric waterproofing for just this reason...........

Rain is fun, got my first Ace in the rain. I'd play in rain everyday if I could. I look at it as just one more thing trying to mess with my mind and I love a good mental challenge. I also like the guys who bring a seat to the course and put their bag on that to keep it off the wet ground, just to add something that hasn't already been said.

I wear a hat with a brim rain or shine. Really I don't leave home without one. If it's sunny, it's one more thing to keep the glare at bay, and if it's rainy, there's no substitute for keeping the rain out of your eyes, specs or not. It's not for no reason that baseball players, tennis players, ball golfers, and all kinds of other outdoor athletes wear ball caps.

To help manage a sloppy course, consider wearing cleats. It won't help you on a concrete tee pad, but man, on the rest of the course, and if the pads are dirt, there's no substitute.

I'm surprised that no one has referanced the Shamwow thread yet. I wish I had one last weekend.

I personally prefer dirt teepads to concrete teepads in most conditions. At least with dirt, you know to wear cleats in all conditions. With concrete, you're screwed when it is wet or icy.

For rain, waterproof pants are huge for me -- being able to sit down or lean against a tree or kneel for a putt... also, play courses with big cedar trees if you can. They are like natural umbrellas -- hide under there and stay dry while you're waiting on your buddies to throw.