• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playing up a division

I just played my first tournament and played Intermediate. The guy who won in my division would have won Advanced by 3 strokes.

Move up from what? You don't say what division you played.

IF that event is the only event you play in and for which the TD submits a report before the next ratings date, you should have a 930 player rating and be eligible for Intermediate or above.

If you're not really that good but played over your head, this will be a temporary situation until you play your rating back down.
I played Intermediate.

I just played my first tournament and played Intermediate. The guy who won in my division would have won Advanced by 3 strokes.

Maybe, maybe not. In my area, Advanced play 2 rounds from long tees, and intermediate play 1 short, 1 long, or sometimes 2 short. Just because someone crushes a lower division, and their score says they would win an upper division, that does not necessarily mean that it will.

When you win your AM bracket and second place is behind you by 10+ strokes, your a sandbagger. If its your 1st tournament ever in your life then maybe you dont know any better but it should never happen more than once in your life or your a dirty grubby sandbagger. Shame on you for cashing in on all that wonderful disc golf merchandise.

There are players who are quite inconsistent. They never know if they will be hot or cold. Punishing those types like this is not fair. In a 4 round tourney, it is only 2-3 strokes per round better than the next best that will get you to the 10+ strokes you mention. That is really not that much - especially for those whose game is inconsistent.

If their ratings allow them to play in a division, they should be allowed to play in that division (or higher if they want to). Complaining about bagging when players are following the rules is as classless as bagging.

I think the TD should watch peoples pdga rankings when they are entering the tourney and automatically put them in the proper bracket to keep people playing with similarly talanted players like a few other people have said.

If you are talking about not allowing people over the ratings cut-off line to play in a division they are not allowed to play, I think the vast majority of TDs do this already. Show me a recent tournament where this was happening.

The other way around is a bad idea to force.....and it contradicts you you are saying in your first paragraph. Anyone can play up any time they want. In fact that is why the highest division is called "Open" - that is because it is the only unprotected division (no age, gender or skill/rating barriers) so it is "open" for any player to play in.

Latest posts